PDA

View Full Version : freshly cycled question on adding fish

Vadafallon
09/19/2016, 07:04 AM
Cycle is not complete, but I am cycling my tank and moving my fish and leathers from another tank. I have about 7 fish, 2 leathers and some torch corals. Is that to much to just move over all at once or should move 2 fish at a time and leathers separate too? Moving from a 60 cube/24 sump to a 75/30 sump.

fishgate
09/19/2016, 07:38 AM
It is always better to move 1 or 2 and wait for the bacteria to catch up with the new additions. Take ammonia readings and base it on that. You might be ok but on a newly cycled tank it is just barely balanced and needs to time ramp up between additions. Be prepared to make large water changes if needed.

Vadafallon
09/19/2016, 07:39 AM
I moved a ton of live rock from 3 feet away into the tank. I would expect to not have an issue with the amount of bacteria, but i will monitor it. Thanks!

niladride
09/19/2016, 07:43 AM
Just add a couple max at a time to be on the safe side.

:)

abIngenui
09/19/2016, 08:38 AM
I vote for a gradual move of fish. Since you have lots of live rock, it could probably be able to handle it but I am not a gamblin' man, especially with our livestock

Sk8r
09/19/2016, 09:37 AM
Go slow. The corals ARE filters, but they also generate a little waste. And the fish are a load on the biosystem: so go slow on them. It's usually best, on a completely new system, to let the CUC live and work in there for a month, then start adding fish one at a time, but when you're transiting between tanks you don't necessarily have that option. Just feed really lightly and don't push it.

aznflyfisherman
09/19/2016, 10:23 AM
Why dont you move a few cleaner crew first, if they dont die then you can start moving the soft corals and a few fish first and then wait a week and then the rest if they look good. Thats what i usually do in new tanks and have always worked out.

Vadafallon
09/19/2016, 01:40 PM
Actually already moved some hermits and found a few little brittle stars rolling around. I added more ammonia last night though, 2ppm since i have not seen any Nitrates and i am waiting to see if the Ammonia is gone in 24hrs to make sure the cycle is done or still rolling.