PDA

View Full Version : Adding our first Fish!

ryan_ferguson25
09/19/2016, 04:12 PM
Hi Friends;

Our cycle is well on it's way and it's time to start planning our stocking strategy.

Tank - 80 Gallon 48X24X18
Aqueon model 2 sump
1 powerhead PP8 wave maker

I plan to add a second powerhead as well as a skimmer when required.

I plan to add a colourful arrangement of Soft coral as well and graduate to LPS etc...

We plan to add 2 Clowns first, and keep stocking probably every 4 weeks after that provided my water parameters remain solid.

I would love to keep 1 smaller tang... any suggestions... I'm aware Yellow, Blue, Powders are not our best option...unless you think it can work...

I was thinking of a couple dwarf angels... flame? Coral Beauty? Bicolour?

Bartlett's Anthia?

Green Mandarin?

Also, I want my clowns to host an Anemone, from what i've read captive bread don't host very often...So I was going to avoid captive bread... thoughts? and should I wait in the 4 week range to add an Anemone after the Clowns?

These are a few species we have identified with our kids to keep it fun for them as well... they really want a Blue Tang... but I know 80 is a little small...

Any suggestions... thoughts... would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you

ryan_ferguson25
09/19/2016, 04:13 PM
I should add.... This is our first Saltwater Reef... so hardiness is a strong consideration.

Thanks again!

MuShu
09/19/2016, 06:18 PM
Not all clowns will live in an anemone, but many will live in corals like a Duncan. Read up on types of nem/clownfish pairs and what the nems require. Many nems that host clowns will not do well in a newly established tank. I've seen several LFS that have nem/clownfish sets or coral/clownfish sets that they will sell as a group. You may want to add the clownfish last in this case.

Coral Beauty or Flame Angels would be fine in a reef for the most part. It really depends on the particular fish. Some nip corals, and some don't. There's no way to tell until you get one in your tank.

Green mandarins also need pretty established tanks.

Anthias require multiple feedings a day, so if you work a job where you cannot feed multiple times, you may need to look into an auto feeder or a different species. I cannot feed my tank before I go to work as my fish are still asleep and they won't wake up for early feedings.

Other suggestions: Bangaii cardinals, firefish, or zebra dartfish could work with some of the fish you want in your tank.

SnoopyDaPimp
09/19/2016, 06:19 PM
Do not put any kind of dragonets (mandarins included) into your tank until it is more mature. You will need a healthy population of pods to support that particular fish. I waited about two years before I added my red mandarin.

100% no to the tang with your tank size.

Good luck in the hobby

Cliving1
09/19/2016, 06:32 PM
Many options at that tank size. Whatever you do, least aggressive to most.

firefish
clown (or pair)
hawkfish
dwarf angel
flasher/fairy wrasse
goby
blenny
cardinal

do you have a type of fish that you enjoy most? open swimming, etc?

ryan_ferguson25
09/19/2016, 06:58 PM
Thx for the suggestions.

We really want colour variety more than anything!

Great to know about the mandarin. We'll wait for him!

ryan_ferguson25
09/19/2016, 07:00 PM
Not all clowns will live in an anemone, but many will live in corals like a Duncan. Read up on types of nem/clownfish pairs and what the nems require. Many nems that host clowns will not do well in a newly established tank. I've seen several LFS that have nem/clownfish sets or coral/clownfish sets that they will sell as a group. You may want to add the clownfish last in this case.

Coral Beauty or Flame Angels would be fine in a reef for the most part. It really depends on the particular fish. Some nip corals, and some don't. There's no way to tell until you get one in your tank.

Green mandarins also need pretty established tanks.

Anthias require multiple feedings a day, so if you work a job where you cannot feed multiple times, you may need to look into an auto feeder or a different species. I cannot feed my tank before I go to work as my fish are still asleep and they won't wake up for early feedings.

Other suggestions: Bangaii cardinals, firefish, or zebra dartfish could work with some of the fish you want in your tank.

More feedings meaning more than twice a day?

mandarin_goby
09/19/2016, 07:49 PM
Kole tangs stay smaller, I have one in my 75. Beautiful and active fish. 4ft is the bare minimum for these guys, I hear. 6ft is preferable.

I have a midas blenny also that I recommend, they're really pretty, active fish.

Ditto on the cardinal suggestion, I have a pajama and a banggai - very peaceful and they seem to grow very quickly.

I do have a green mandarin, but as others have said, establish a pod population 1st. Luckily, mine started eating frozen mysis on his own.

Is your tank the 80 deepblue rimless? Always wanted one of those :)

ryan_ferguson25
09/19/2016, 07:55 PM
Kole tangs stay smaller, I have one in my 75. Beautiful and active fish. 4ft is the bare minimum for these guys, I hear. 6ft is preferable.

I have a midas blenny also that I recommend, they're really pretty, active fish.

Ditto on the cardinal suggestion, I have a pajama and a banggai - very peaceful and they seem to grow very quickly.

I do have a green mandarin, but as others have said, establish a pod population 1st. Luckily, mine started eating frozen mysis on his own.

Is your tank the 80 deepblue rimless? Always wanted one of those :)

I like the Kole..I'd like to try one of them...

Yes on the rimless

mitchb
09/20/2016, 11:17 AM
Must have reef fish imo are the Red Hawk Fish and bicolor or tail spot Benny. Both are very intertaining with lots of personality.

BADPAPI
09/21/2016, 08:49 AM
80 gallon is enough to keep couple small tang happy . just make sure to gte then small and be ready to sell them when they mature .
i know this is against the [removed] but i have keep a very small kole and a Scopes tang on a 25 even a blue face angel with no problem .
just make sure to keep your phos on check .
and play with your rock work so they have a lots of room to swim and hide when they don't feel secure .
again this is just my opinion .
Flame on >

ryan_ferguson25
09/21/2016, 05:30 PM
Cheers thx badpapi

ssick92
09/21/2016, 08:07 PM
80 gallon is enough to keep couple small tang happy . just make sure to gte then small and be ready to sell them when they mature .
i know this is against the tang police policy but i have keep a very small kole and a Scopes tang on a 25 even a blue face angel with no problem .
just make sure to keep your phos on check .
and play with your rock work so they have a lots of room to swim and hide when they don't feel secure .
again this is just my opinion .
Flame on >

80 gallon, yes it is fine to keep a juvenile in my opinion, but a 25?? Seems way too small to me...

Cancun
09/21/2016, 09:31 PM
Hi Friends;

Our cycle is well on it's way and it's time to start planning our stocking strategy.

Tank - 80 Gallon 48X24X18
Aqueon model 2 sump
1 powerhead PP8 wave maker

I plan to add a second powerhead as well as a skimmer when required.

I plan to add a colourful arrangement of Soft coral as well and graduate to LPS etc...

We plan to add 2 Clowns first, and keep stocking probably every 4 weeks after that provided my water parameters remain solid.

I would love to keep 1 smaller tang... any suggestions... I'm aware Yellow, Blue, Powders are not our best option...unless you think it can work...

I was thinking of a couple dwarf angels... flame? Coral Beauty? Bicolour?

Bartlett's Anthia?

Green Mandarin?

Also, I want my clowns to host an Anemone, from what i've read captive bread don't host very often...So I was going to avoid captive bread... thoughts? and should I wait in the 4 week range to add an Anemone after the Clowns?

These are a few species we have identified with our kids to keep it fun for them as well... they really want a Blue Tang... but I know 80 is a little small...

Any suggestions... thoughts... would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you

Hi there! I have a tank bred blood orange clown....I didn't care if he hosted my RBT nem....but after 4 months in my tank he jumped right in the nem and never left. As far as a Tangs....I personally don't see a issue with a yellow tang....or a Kole Tang in a 80 gallon....but not a Blue Tang.....they get quite large....I have a beautiful Yellow Tang....and he is doing well....even Live Aquaria has a min tank size of 75 gallons for a Yellow Tang. I know I might be the minority on the Tang thing...but just my experience. Also my favorite fish are Wrasses....always out and about...and beautiful colors....most are hardy as well. Hope that helps!

cubbyman60
09/21/2016, 11:00 PM
A flame hawk has been one of my best additions.

ryan_ferguson25
09/22/2016, 07:01 AM
Hi there! I have a tank bred blood orange clown....I didn't care if he hosted my RBT nem....but after 4 months in my tank he jumped right in the nem and never left. As far as a Tangs....I personally don't see a issue with a yellow tang....or a Kole Tang in a 80 gallon....but not a Blue Tang.....they get quite large....I have a beautiful Yellow Tang....and he is doing well....even Live Aquaria has a min tank size of 75 gallons for a Yellow Tang. I know I might be the minority on the Tang thing...but just my experience. Also my favorite fish are Wrasses....always out and about...and beautiful colors....most are hardy as well. Hope that helps!

Thanks..I needed tang encouragement. ..they're my favorite fish!

Reef908
09/22/2016, 07:46 AM
I think you could keep a yellow or a purple tang just fine but have an exit strategy if it gets big or aggressive. I love tangs and I have someone who will take my purple if he gets aggressive. Also a tomini or another bristletooth variety should be fine as well. Tomini Tangs in my experience were pretty passive and all kole tangs I have tried were aggressive punks. Just my experience. Good luck!

ryan_ferguson25
09/22/2016, 08:22 AM
I think you could keep a yellow or a purple tang just fine but have an exit strategy if it gets big or aggressive. I love tangs and I have someone who will take my purple if he gets aggressive. Also a tomini or another bristletooth variety should be fine as well. Tomini Tangs in my experience were pretty passive and all kole tangs I have tried were aggressive punks. Just my experience. Good luck!

Thanks...I do like both of those...and I do have options for tangs that get too large.! Great advice...thx

marleesan
09/22/2016, 08:24 AM
Don't buy fish for a bigger tank, buy fish that can live in the tank you have. Only a kole or other bristle tooth tang will work

ryan_ferguson25
09/22/2016, 08:27 AM

Thanks...I do like both of those...and I do have options for tangs that get too large.! Great advice...thx

snorvich
09/22/2016, 09:43 AM
Don't buy fish for a bigger tank, buy fish that can live in the tank you have. Only a kole or other bristle tooth tang will work

This.

BrianD
09/22/2016, 12:25 PM

^That. Don't buy fish with the thought you will "rehome". That is a bad policy.

I completely disagree with the "couple of tangs" comment above. I won't even speak to the 25.

Do the best you can to provide the most optimum environment. "Hardy" is often a function of the choices we make in stocking. The hardiest fish won't thrive in a poorly stocked tank.

Grimreaperz
09/23/2016, 02:58 AM
Are you planning on QT'ING these fish prior to adding them to your DT? I would highly recommend it as I would hate to see you buy all these fish and have them die due to lack of quarantine. Even your first fish should be put through some type of QT regiment. Doesn't take much. Bubbler. Extra 10g tank and a heater and pvc elbows. Specially the tangs they are notorious for carrying ICH. Something to think about.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ryan_ferguson25
09/23/2016, 05:39 AM
Are you planning on QT'ING these fish prior to adding them to your DT? I would highly recommend it as I would hate to see you buy all these fish and have them die due to lack of quarantine. Even your first fish should be put through some type of QT regiment. Doesn't take much. Bubbler. Extra 10g tank and a heater and pvc elbows. Specially the tangs they are notorious for carrying ICH. Something to think about.

I don't have a QT system yet. Def something I want. I may have my LFS QT until I can set something up. My tank is still cycling...I suppose I could start buying a small QT tank.... di you just use old tank water? Say...from a water change?

kmbyrnes
09/23/2016, 05:52 AM
Are you planning on QT'ING these fish prior to adding them to your DT?

This. ^^^
In all the excitement of a new tank, it's probably the last thing you want to hear. But it's really the best practice to keep your tank disease free. t
Do a quick search for 'Ich'. The main reason for this often devastating infestation is lack of QT. And Ich isn't even the worst threat.

Read this link for a simple and effective QT method to protect your new charges and your investment.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428

Good luck and congrats on reaching this exciting milesstone.

Grimreaperz
09/23/2016, 05:53 AM
I don't have a QT system yet. Def something I want. I may have my LFS QT until I can set something up. My tank is still cycling...I suppose I could start buying a small QT tank.... di you just use old tank water? Say...from a water change?
I would definitely recommend starting to aquire the pieces now that way you have one when you are ready for your first fish. I did an uncycled QT method after TTM treatment. Which is new salt water. Dosing Prime daily. But you can use old tank water if you are certain it is parasites free. Check out this section of the forum particularly the Quarantine and Acclimation section. Lots of great info!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

But with the cost of the live stock in this hobby this is an absolute must. Otherwise it's like playing Russian Roulette. It's bound to happen just a matter of when. Some ppl use plastic containers anything that holds water really

ryan_ferguson25
09/23/2016, 05:54 AM
This. ^^^
In all the excitement of a new tank, it's probably the last thing you want to hear. But it's really the best practice to keep your tank disease free. t
Do a quick search for 'Ich'. The main reason for this often devastating infestation is lack of QT. And Ich isn't even the worst threat.

Read this link for a simple and effective QT method to protect your new charges and your investment.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428

Good luck and congrats on reaching this exciting milesstone.

Def. Familiar with ICH. ..Thx for the link

Grimreaperz
09/23/2016, 06:00 AM
Yeah I'm really not trying to be a downer. I was pretty defeated after learning I needed more stuff. But after being on this forum for 3 months now and seeing the countless posts of emergency issues from not doing QT. I decided I would rather bite the bullet up front and do it right then risk all my time money and effort.