PDA

View Full Version : New Aquatronica Firmware Ver 4.4 is released

RobbyG
09/19/2016, 10:02 PM
Well the wait is over :spin3:

I will do an update on Saturday Morning and let people know what I find.
If your wondering I do not do updates unless I am home and able to visually monitor the Tank for the day.

If somebody is home during the weekdays and updates ahead of me, please post back and let me know how it is working.

:celeb3::celeb3:
Rob

Wiggly
09/20/2016, 09:37 AM
Hi

Just spotted the update for touch controller

Was wondering if u know what has been added or fixed I'm on 4.0b

And please let every one know how the update goes as don't want to do it till I see others have as a lot of settings to redo if it does not work as planed

All is working for me on old firmware so reluctant to proceed till I no it's safe

also I have a usb pc interface do u know if this will work on Windows 10 ??

:wavehand:

RobbyG
09/20/2016, 11:15 AM
You don't need a connection between PC and the controller.
Just download and unzip the file then write it to a full size SD card or USB memory stick. Then put the card or stick into the controller and select update.
Just before that it is best to select backup and backup your settings to the SD card or USB stick. I have found the SD card works smoother than USB.

Rob

Wiggly
09/20/2016, 11:55 AM
Hi

And sorry forgot to say I no I don't need the usb interface just wondered if it still works on win 10 and also I thought this was only way to check / update all other parts of the aquatronica system ??

? Can I update plugs ,doser , ph,density,redox, probes . ?

I will use the SD as is just much easier to get to and I have usb wifi in usb port and will back up before

Will it update and keep all settings??

Do u know what has changed on new update form my 4.0b

Thanks for your swift reply :)

RobbyG
09/20/2016, 07:06 PM
If there is software updates for the other devices it will be in the same zip file.
Just write them all to your SD card and update the devices via the controller.

As for the fixes or enhancements I have no idea other than it has support for the new modules.

Rob

RobbyG
09/20/2016, 08:08 PM
Hi
I have usb wifi in usb port and will back up before

I really suggest you run a hard wired Ethernet cable and dump the WiFi dongle.
WiFi dongles are notorious for heating up and then disconnecting!
Check Amazon reviews and you will see numerous complaints about them doing this. You really do not want to depend on a notification alert that may never come because the dongle has disconnected. This kind of connection is not suitable for mission critical devices. Trust me, I have tried two of the best models and they both would randomly disconnect after several weeks.

Just my 2 cents
Rob

Rogger Castells
09/20/2016, 09:15 PM
I really suggest you run a hard wired Ethernet cable and dump the WiFi dongle.
WiFi dongles are notorious for heating up and then disconnecting!
Check Amazon reviews and you will see numerous complaints about them doing this. You really do not want to depend on a notification alert that may never come because the dongle has disconnected. This kind of connection is not suitable for mission critical devices. Trust me, I have tried two of the best models and they both would randomly disconnect after several weeks.

Just my 2 cents
Rob

Sorry for my confusing but are you referring to the wifi key that fits in the touch controller? are those recommended by AQ not good?

RobbyG
09/20/2016, 11:31 PM
Rogger from what I have read none of them are any good!
Most of them use the same chipsets and from what I have read they all seem to be prone to heating and glitches. Basically they are fine for a laptop that is running for a several hours a day and then shutdown, but a controller is running 24/7 and that opens up issues that regular users rarely experience.
The fact that even Laptop users experience the lockups should be a clear signal to aquarium owners not to use them. For a laptop it's a simple plug out and plug back in. For aquarium owners away from the Tank it may mean that you get no emails of something horrible happening at home.

IMO it's just not a good idea to risk it when so much at stake. Ethernet will stay up as long as you have internet and your router has power.

Almost all the aquarium controller companies recommend a direct Ethernet cable even those that support WiFi.

If you have someone at home that can monitor the tank and actually has an interest in checking your tank then you might be fine.

Rob

Sorry for my confusing but are you referring to the wifi key that fits in the touch controller? are those recommended by AQ not good?

Rogger Castells
09/21/2016, 12:05 AM
Rogger from what I have read none of them are any good!
Most of them use the same chipsets and from what I have read they all seem to be prone to heating and glitches. Basically they are fine for a laptop that is running for a several hours a day and then shutdown, but a controller is running 24/7 and that opens up issues that regular users rarely experience.
The fact that even Laptop users experience the lockups should be a clear signal to aquarium owners not to use them. For a laptop it's a simple plug out and plug back in. For aquarium owners away from the Tank it may mean that you get no emails of something horrible happening at home.

IMO it's just not a good idea to risk it when so much at stake. Ethernet will stay up as long as you have internet and your router has power.

Almost all the aquarium controller companies recommend a direct Ethernet cable even those that support WiFi.

If you have someone at home that can monitor the tank and actually has an interest in checking your tank then you might be fine.

Rob

Ok, sounds reasonable, now the question is, does the touch controller has a ethernet port in the touch controller or does it have to be connected at the power bar with a ethernet module?

RobbyG
09/22/2016, 11:20 AM
Yes it has a built in Ethernet port in the Back of the controller.

nickjj
09/22/2016, 11:09 PM
Just did the 4.4 update tonight without any issue. I just wish AQ would document the changes so I don't have to search for them.

RobbyG
09/23/2016, 11:15 AM
Just did the 4.4 update tonight without any issue. I just wish AQ would document the changes so I don't have to search for them.

If that happens it will be a first. :lol::lol:

hani
09/23/2016, 03:52 PM
I guess the flow will be for flow sensor, I don't know what the letter counter for?

hani
09/23/2016, 03:52 PM
Liter

RobbyG
09/24/2016, 06:20 PM
There seems to be two type of flow sensors that are supported by the Touch controller of maybe the one with the letters is the JB module ACQ480 for 0-5v and 0-10v pumps. They have been in there since the Beta version that I received a couple of months ago, the Flow module was the nice surprise that I mentioned.

I have always wanted the controller to monitor the flow. I am not all that interested in the normal GPH info, I could measure that using a bucket and I know during normal operation that is not going too vary by much. What is really good about the module is the ability to set alarms and know if the pump is failing or partially blocked. I have had that experience before and afterwards realized the usefulness of having an alarm if the flow drops off by X amount.

RobbyG
09/24/2016, 06:47 PM
So I did the update today. Keep in mind that I have been running an older Beta and it already had the new Flow modules and the Echotech modules in it. So far the only difference I have noticed is that the touch screen seems more responsive, so maybe they optimized the code a bit. I am still waiting on a full day of graph info to come in to see if the graphs are any better.

As Nick said, it would be so much simpler if they released notes with these updates. I don't want to trivialize what might have been a lot of work to make major changes that have fixed bugs that I am unaware of, so that only leaves the visual aspect of the software and so far I am not seeing anything other than the new devices and better touch response.

Hysteresis in degrees Fahrenheit is a big bug IMO. I am planning on testing that tomorrow to see if it is fixed.

I did notice that clicking on the date in the graph section of the remote webpage does bring up a calendar for selecting the exact date, but I am not sure if that was always there and I never noticed.

hani
09/24/2016, 08:24 PM
May be we should ask them directly? The product seems very good ( I have 2 profilux controllers too).

RobbyG
09/24/2016, 09:36 PM
May be we should ask them directly? The product seems very good ( I have 2 profilux controllers too).

Yes I agree, the controller is very good. The bugs we encounter are minor compared to the stuff I see posted about some other controllers. IMO any controller that locks up randomly or changes readings randomly will get disconnected unless I find a solution that same day.

My tank is on auto pilot with no one home during M-F and the Aquatronica has always alerted me about problems with the tank. If I suspected the Touch was a hazard I can assure you my ACQ110 would be back in action the same day. The 110 controller worked almost 10 years without any problems. I still keep it fully programmed and ready to reconnect it to it's cable should the ACQ140 go belly up. Luckily I have had only that one lockup with the 140 and I could directly link that back to the screen saver being turned on. Since that's been off I have had no issues, so I am very happy with the controller.

I will shoot them an email tomorrow and see what the say about the changes in the software.

hani
09/25/2016, 04:25 AM
How long it takes to find out if the screen lock issue be corrected? If I lock it now how long it takes before it locks?
Thanks

RobbyG
09/25/2016, 01:39 PM
How long it takes to find out if the screen lock issue be corrected? If I lock it now how long it takes before it locks?
Thanks

I should explain that I am not 100% sure that it's the cause of the problem but I am about 98% confident that it is the screen saver based on an experience I had with it.

I programmed my controller and did NOT turn on the screen saver. After about 6 months of problem free operation I went in and turned it ON one day just to see if I liked it. After about 3-4 weeks the controller froze, the weird part was the time on the clock was fine but everything else was frozen including the date! I reset the controller and turned OFF the screen saver and so far about 9 months later it has never exhibited anymore freezing problems.

As to the fixing of the problem. It may already be fixed!
I am honestly not going to be the guinea pig that finds out. As I said, no one is in my house M-F during the daytime and honestly I actually prefer that it is Off. So the only way to find out for sure is if someone else who is possibly retired and monitors their tank several times a day and needs to use that feature will give it a try and report back.

BTW the only really cool part of this lockup was seeing the Aquatronica's built in redundancy systems at work. They are so good that I never even realized the controller was locked up. The powerbars built in timers kept on operating as usual and the LED lighting system worked independently once it lost contact. While it all worked out fine for the 3 days it was frozen I could easily see how the outcome could be different if any of the wrong variables had been in play.
If your wondering how I eventually noticed, it was when bubbles started to jet into the tank. The ATO had not tripped on for 3 days. One of those variables that worked in my favor was that the temperature did not go too far out of whack. My chiller had not run for 3 days but luckily the Tank probably peaked at 83 deg during the day. Had it been in the middle of summer the outcome may have been different. Had the chiller plug been stuck on the outcome might have also been different.

RobbyG
09/28/2016, 12:06 PM
Just an update.
I Sent the email but have still not gotten a reply.
The graphs are the same as before. The temperature is the only one that they seemed to have worked on. The annoying one is the salinity which neither autoscales or even has numbers on the Y axis. I am sure if I switch from Sg to units used in Europe (Ms/cm) it will most likely work properly. I just don't feel as comfortable with the display not being in Sg

AQT please fix all the graphing problems that occur with western units of measurement!!

RobbyG
10/03/2016, 02:30 PM
Still no reply, I just don't think they give out that information.

hani
10/25/2016, 10:20 PM
Bad news,
My controller did the same like yours , it locked after 3-4wk , time was ok but date was not. I had the screen saver on.
Very disappointing. Am not sure if am gone use this controller in my new setup. I may consider different brand.
Unfortunately AT don't have a forum to get some response .

RobbyG
10/26/2016, 02:22 PM
Bad news,
My controller did the same like yours , it locked after 3-4wk , time was ok but date was not. I had the screen saver on.
Very disappointing. Am not sure if am gone use this controller in my new setup. I may consider different brand.
Unfortunately AT don't have a forum to get some response .

Why did you leave the screen saver on?
I guess you answered the question as to if the problem was fixed or not.
I suggest you just leave it off and you will be fine.

Have you read the list of problems with some of the other brands ;) With the Aquatronica you have no bugs with probes, sensors or powerbars. None of this erratic reading crap and "leaking voltage" explanations for everything that goes wrong. If a screen saver is a deal breaker for you then that's your choice, but I suggest you read some of the other forums and see what is happening to other people.

Rob

Rogger Castells
10/26/2016, 02:32 PM
I know not to keep the screen saver on, but what do you have to do if the screen locks on you, how do you fix it? also, I agree with Robby all controllers will have their issues i have heard horror stories with all.

hani
10/26/2016, 05:46 PM
I was trying to see if it was fixed. Wish they respond faster.
Yes I tried other brands , GHl profilux , I have 2 with pumps ,etc I had zero issues in the last 6 years. I have Neptune apex with a lot of problems .(no longer use)
I still like the aquatronica but they are slow to respond , I like trying new products. My next will be vererx cerebra( they still have a lot of issues) I will wait another year.

RobbyG
10/29/2016, 06:19 PM
Yep they are slow to respond and offer very little product promotion.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh in the other post Hani. I did not realize you were making a huge sacrifice by testing if the bug was gone. Thanks for doing that and also confirming once and for all that the only issue that causes the controller to lockup is that Dam screen saver option.
Anyone at Aquatronica listening to this and working on it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hani how many days went by before you noticed? Did any damage to the tank occur.

I would recommend that you stick with a controller that has only one minor bug rather than jump into that Hornets Nest of bugs that I see going on with some of the other new controllers. I may knock Aquatronica from time to time but I always know that they make sure that the controllers core functionality works properly.

BTW you could make a thin easy to remove cover to block out the light in the bedroom by bending a small piece of black 2mm thick acrylic into a shape like this.

|-------|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

It will just hook over the top and block out the whole front.

Rob

dbond
11/16/2016, 05:44 PM
My first attempt applying the 4.4 update via sd card stated it was successful but when I then went into overview and checked it stated ver 3.0.1,,, web 3.0 lol
So I ran the same update again also stated successful but this time it shows ver 4.4.0,,, web 1.12
Is this what I should be seeing after installing the update?

nickjj
11/16/2016, 09:32 PM
dbond; Yes that is what mine shows.

dbond
11/17/2016, 01:27 PM
weird that the web version went down from 3.0 to 1.12