PDA

View Full Version : Should I get rid of my hawkfish?

ReefsandGeeks
09/20/2016, 06:56 AM
So to try to make a longer story short, about 6 months ago I got a new tank that came with a bunch of fish, and moved it into my place, then took my existing fish from my 40g and put everything into the new tank. Along with the new tank, I got a hawkfish, flame angel, and some small filefish. Last month I moved to a new house, and the tank is still left at the old place (parent's basement). not too long after getting the new tank and livestock, the hawkfish showed some aggression towards my bicolor blenny, but seems to not bother him anymore. But he also was aggressive towards both filefish, which have since both been found carpet surfing, I belive from trying to get away from the hawkfish. And now that I've been moved out with parents just feeding the fish and me doing weekly maintenance until I can get the house ready for the tank, my flame angel looked like he was hiding in the rocks last weekend and wouldn't come out, and now I stopped over and he was doing really bad, fins ripped up and was stuck on the powerhead. My only guess is this was the hawkfish's doing, and if that's the case he needs to go before this happens to more of my fish. I loved him at first, full of personality. but the aggression might be getting out of hand. Any thoughts? has anyone else had such bad luck with hawkfish?

joshbrookkate
09/20/2016, 07:01 AM
I would. I like my bloodshrimp too much to ever have a hawkfish in my tank.
Removing him now gives you peace of mind regarding your flame angel. And it leaves the door open to having inverts later when you're ready to get more heavily into your tank.
Good luck....

scooter31707
09/20/2016, 08:02 AM
Well, IME, I have seen them become aggressive in small tanks which they feel crowded. mines was aggressive in a 40b (QT), but when he went into my 120 before upgrading, it shoed no more aggression.

ReefsandGeeks
09/20/2016, 09:52 AM
Hmm, Seems like it might be best to part with him. I can't be sure if he's picking on fish that are already doing bad, or if he is the cause of the issues. It always seems he's picking at fish that otherwise should be fine though, so I'll have to send him packing.

Buzz1329
09/20/2016, 06:33 PM
Yeesh. What species of hawkfish is it?