PDA

View Full Version : What to put in my sump?

Willyboz1
09/20/2016, 02:52 PM
Just upgraded from an aio so sump is a whole new world for me. I have a 60 cube And a Red Sea 170 sump. Pretty bare right now as I'm trying to figure what to put in there. I have a bubble Magnus nac3.5 that I may use and maybe a Phosban reactor 150 with matrix media (lfs recommended). Any recommendations? I'm also thinking about refugium with chaeto. Can I run them all? Thanks in advance!

Tanthaitrung
09/21/2016, 05:02 AM
Bubble Magus Nac3.5 for tank capacity 25-80g. It's ok for a fish tank. But if it's a reef tank, you need a better skimmer.

Are you talking about Seachem Matrix (stone) or Matrix Carbon? I think, you need Matrix Carbon, but no need Matrix (stone).

It's the good idea to have a refugium with chaeto. You just need a 6500k, 20w led light running 18 hours daily.

- Do NOT do anything before asking.

- Read, read and read more.

- Be patient.

Good luck
Khanh

rocsec1
09/21/2016, 06:33 AM
I have a skimmer, probes, fuge, return pump, ato, and a reactor in my dump.

Sk8r
09/21/2016, 08:14 AM
Skimmer, rubble pile, heater, Autotopoff (pretty well essential to sanity).

Ron Reefman
09/21/2016, 09:10 AM
My new sump is smaller than I'd like. I have 2 filter socks, a skimmer, a reactor and a return pump and maybe enough room in the middle for a small frag rack but not enough for a refugium. So I made a 2'x2'x20" tank (50g) and I'm setting it up next to the new 125g reef tank as a display refugium where I will keep some macro algae (not chaeto) and other critters I wouldn't want in the DT. There are always different ways to make things work.

Willyboz1
09/22/2016, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the replies! I will look into Skimmer upgrade. I just picked it up for a killer price so it will have to do for now. So it's not overkill to run a skimmer, reactor , and a refugium ?

tzylak
09/22/2016, 01:01 PM
"So it's not overkill to run a skimmer, reactor , and a refugium? "
I have all that and it is good. I also have a fudge, ATO and GACharcoal.
Also, all that is sitting on a shelf above a 4" DSB!!! -A very full sump!!
Have fun with it!!

tanksfishtank
09/22/2016, 01:40 PM
Filter socks for first few weeks after start up to keep water clean. You can put your heater in your sump.

homer1475
09/22/2016, 01:52 PM
In my 30G sump I have a filter sock, my skimmer, 2 marine pure blocks, big old wad of chaeto, 2 bags of purigen, reactor pump, heater, several probes, dosing lines, ATO, and return pump.

Basically, anything I wouldn't want to see in my display. Isn't that the idea behind a sump to begin with?