PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Peacock

grayshen
09/20/2016, 07:16 PM
I have wanted a Peacock for a number of years, and I have committed myself to the animal. I bought a 60 gallon tank, and i have been cycling for 4 weeks now. I am using black PVC for Burrow, and I am using blue LED lighting. My LFS has promised me a peacock, but their latest mantis shipment was not a peacock. I live in Florida; does anyone know current peacocks available? A supplier for my LFS to contact? Anything? I cannot find one from ibluewater to thatpetplace. Anyone have a pest peacock in their refugium?

nmotz
09/20/2016, 11:10 PM
Did you try to order one from bluezooaquatics? I'm surprised ibluewater wouldn't order one for you. They also come through Liveaquaria on occasion. You might ask them to hold onto one for you.

Sometimes it does take a while to find one, don't give up!

grayshen
09/21/2016, 06:50 AM
ibluewater said they no longer have a supplier for peacocks. bluezooaquatics does not have them in stock on their site, but i will message them directly on facebook.

nmotz
09/21/2016, 10:48 AM
ibluewater said they no longer have a supplier for peacocks. bluezooaquatics does not have them in stock on their site, but i will message them directly on facebook.

Oh wow, that sucks, I wonder what happened? Seems like getting a Peacock has been kinda difficult lately. Not too surprising I guess. They're a deeper water species. I've always wondered how they ever get them in the first place. Trawling I suppose.

nmotz
09/21/2016, 11:04 AM
I also found a couple local fish stores that will ship a Peacock. Not sure if they're actually in stock, but you can try Paradise pets and yourfishstore.com. I'd call and ask for a picture of any mantis that they have in stock to confirm that it's a Peacock first. Both of those options are fairly expensive.

Get on live aquaria's email distro, go here: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+2857+1702&pcatid=1702

-select "email me when in stock" under the add to cart section on the right side of the screen.

Or, you can try your luck with an Odontodactylus Havanensis, a smaller and admittedly less colorful species in the same genus as a Peacock. Kpaquatics has a large specimen right now and they're a great company. Beware though, O. Hav's are a little difficult to keep, but I've heard great things about them in terms of personality. Some good news, they don't require PVC and don't get shell rot. But I would absolutely recommend a protein skimmer for that species because they often die as a result of low oxygen in the tank. If you go this route, I'd recommend a tank with a 1-2" deep layer of substrate, minimal LR to maximize viewing potential and high flow. Make sure the surface of the water is broken to facilitate gas exchange. Good luck!

grayshen
09/21/2016, 04:41 PM
Thanks, but as you can see from the picture; I am committed to a Odontodactylus scyllarus.

nmotz
09/21/2016, 04:51 PM
What are the tank's dimensions?

grayshen
09/21/2016, 04:55 PM
4ft by 1.7 ft 60 gallon

nmotz
09/21/2016, 07:14 PM
Nice big footprint for a Peacock, hope you're able to find one soon