PDA

View Full Version : Melanurus Wrasse aggressively pecking Bartlett's anthia

EthanHawaii
09/20/2016, 06:28 PM
Hello everyone,

so I added a bartlett's anthia to my tank a little over a month ago and it's doing REALLY well, it eats better than a pig! and is anything but shy.

For almost the whole time it's been in the tank the big female clownfish chases it once or twice at feeding times but nothing harmful, and when it does chase the anthia the anthia flares up all of it's fines but NEVER attacks back.

Three weeks ago my Wrasse started showing dominant behaviour to the anthia by swimming really close to it so it would get frightened,
and in the last 2 weeks the wrasse has aggressively darted towards the anthia and may even peck it, (it darts WAY to fast to see if it actually pecks the anthia)
and this only happens during feeding time, after feeding they both pay no attention to each other. As far as I can see there aren't any injuries like scratches or pecked fines, but I do see that some of the fines look clearer in some areas but it could have been there when I purchased it.

Is this normal behavior?
And should I worry about it?

Thanks

CODE3EMT
09/20/2016, 11:45 PM
Wrasse's of that species and Coris species can be a bit aggressive at times. I have a Twin Spot Wrasse that was very nice at first and now that he is 4 inches, he's become a jackass. Same with my Peppermint Candy Cane Hog. The wrasse is now in the sump pending a new home. How big is your tank? You may just have to keep a close eye on him and be ready to separate if needed. My Mystery wrasse on the other hand is like a gentle pastor at church.....knock on wood. It's not so much the pecking but if the wrasse continues to bully the anthias, you could end up with the Bartletts being a jumper or ich secondary to stress.

anbosu
09/21/2016, 09:14 AM
How big is your tank?

Deinonych
09/21/2016, 01:53 PM
Generally, wrasses are all bark and no bite. As long as there is no actual nipping, the anthias should be fine. My pink margin wrasse behaves the same way toward my firefish. The first couple of days, the firefish would dive into his bolt hole. Now, he just gets mildly annoyed by the wrasse and keeps going about his business.

EthanHawaii
09/21/2016, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies,

My tank is a 55 gallon.

So far today the wrasse and anthia have been completely fine.
I have never to this day seen the wrasse show aggression to the clownfish,
even if they are swimming in it's face, and the wrasse has always been a nice peaceful fish other than with the anthia, but I don't think it's anywhere near bad enough to get ride of him, but I will keep a very close eye on them.

I have only ever seen the wrasse get aggressive at feeding times, the rest of the time it's a nice peaceful fish, and he never seeks out the anthia to bully.

SecretiveFish
09/22/2016, 08:27 AM
I hope they keep getting along!

I had a melanurus wrasse mercilessly harass my barred hamlet. I kept trying to get the wrasse out, and when I finally did, it was too late for my hamlet. I have been leery of these guys as a result...

scooter31707
09/22/2016, 11:48 AM
he feels like he may have to show who is boss when it comes to the food source. IMO, 55 is kind of small for them, I recommend more like a 75.

EthanHawaii
09/22/2016, 04:47 PM
I hope they keep getting along!

I had a melanurus wrasse mercilessly harass my barred hamlet. I kept trying to get the wrasse out, and when I finally did, it was too late for my hamlet. I have been leery of these guys as a result...

Good to know, but they seem to be doing alright, aggression is only at feeding time.

EthanHawaii
09/22/2016, 04:54 PM
he feels like he may have to show who is boss when it comes to the food source. IMO, 55 is kind of small for them, I recommend more like a 75.

I think that's exactly what's happening.

I think they would be better in a 55 gallon long not tall, I will NEVER EVER get a tall aquarium again.

If I went to all the work of upgrading to a 75 gallon I may as well step it up to a 90 gallon so I could get a tang, I hope of upgrading within a few years (or hopefully less!)

Rakie
10/23/2016, 03:27 AM
Generally, wrasses are all bark and no bite. As long as there is no actual nipping, the anthias should be fine. My pink margin wrasse behaves the same way toward my firefish. The first couple of days, the firefish would dive into his bolt hole. Now, he just gets mildly annoyed by the wrasse and keeps going about his business.

My scarlet flasher is that way with my Firefish, and the firefish just moves a little out of the way when the flasher gets all uppity. I noticed today my firefish had a split in her tail... If she doesn't act scared and bolt the flasher gets aggravated. Usually if this happens there will be a split in the Flashers fin somewhere too from my Melanurus.

I have a female melanurus that's the biggest in the tank. She seems to break up all the squabbles if they even get close to out of hand. She will also chase the flasher around for awhile if he's picking on the firefish too much for her liking. A few times when I'm starting a water change the Melanurus will bump into the firefish and push her towards her bolt hole.

She's made herself sherif. It's pretty interesting.