PDA

View Full Version : Tampa or Clearwater Aquarium?

RG Rude
09/21/2016, 08:46 PM
In the Tampa/New port Richey area and am looking at visiting one of the aquariums. Any thoughts/guidance that would be helpful? My biggest interest is reef aquaria.

FlyingFishSKYw
09/22/2016, 12:51 AM
I've been to both. Went with the family a couple years ago. The Tampa Bay aquarium is by far the better of the two. It's huge in comparison- much more diversity. The good folks at the Clearwater aquarium are trying hard to keep up with the crowds drawn from the Dolphin Tales movies, but there's not much more than a few marine rescue animals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuzzA
09/22/2016, 05:51 AM
In the Tampa/New port Richey area and am looking at visiting one of the aquariums. Any thoughts/guidance that would be helpful? My biggest interest is reef aquaria.

Go to the Florida Aquarium in Tampa. The Clearwater Aquarium's name is a little disingenuous. It's a marine rescue/hospital. Not much to see other than some dolphins, birds and a few other animals. You could donate a couple bucks to the CA though. They do good things for marine life around TB.

RG Rude
09/22/2016, 09:56 AM
Thanks so much. We are loading the car now to go to Datz to eat and then heading to the Florida Aqarium.

jayball
09/22/2016, 10:54 AM
Go to the Florida Aquarium in Tampa. The Clearwater Aquarium's name is a little disingenuous. It's a marine rescue/hospital. Not much to see other than some dolphins, birds and a few other animals. You could donate a couple bucks to the CA though. They do good things for marine life around TB.

We spent about 6 hours including a boat ride and marine life survey (dragnet and count), behind the scene tour, and watching a turtle get laser surgery. If you just walk through it you will run out of stuff to do in a hurry.

It is definitely not a real aquarium with static exhibits though.

RG Rude
09/28/2016, 06:02 PM
We had a great time. The family favorite was the 500,000 centerpiece.