PDA

View Full Version : Berghia question and aptasia problem

Crash35
09/22/2016, 01:05 PM
Hello all,
I'm new here, but have been stalking for a few years prior to actually registering.

I have a 5' (60" x 18") 120 with a few corals and fish. It's been up for about 18 months (though I'm not exactly new - I had sw many years ago but got out of it for a while).

I have been doing battle with aptasia for about 6 months now. A zoa colony was apparently infected and I didn't see it. I was fairly successful in staying on top of them with my "hunting" at each water change. Since filtration was off and water levels were lower, it was a great time to use Aptasia X . I was successful in keeping up (with only a dozen or so at any given time) until a month ago.

Suddenly, it seemed as if literally overnight, I had an explosion (is this normal?). And when I say explosion - I mean KABOOM. Literally hundreds (my guess is a least 2-400) My bet is one of the little buggers (or more) released into the water column :mad:. Not sure what set them off (may the power outage or when I vacuumed some off of the sand bed) - but whatever it was - it's happened so no use in trying to figure it out at this point.

Anyway, since there are far too many now for trying to kill with chemical application, and they are affecting my zoas and starting to cover my rocks (which are not removable due to corals and being glued into one formation when I started the tank), I was wondering what your thoughts were on Berghia.

Are they fairly easy to maintain? Do they work? I've been having anxiety attacks over this!

I bought a bunch (18 last month when I first spotted all the little babies and knew I was in trouble and 20 med/lg again this month and it was a lot of $$!!) but I am at my wits ends with these things and figured it's worth a try.

I'm thinking if I don't get them under control by around December, I may just post my fish for sale on here. I have neither the time nor patience (or extra $$ at the moment after this purchase) to deal with this pest in epidemic proportions. I am willing to give it a few months since I realize everything takes time, but ... there is a limit.

I have one pep shrimp (that I got to see if it would help control the small numbers, but don't think it ever did anything) that I am going to try and trap. Do you think it will be a problem?

I haven't seen anything of the first set of berghia (I think I injured them trying to get them into the tank due to the way they were packed in a plastic fish bag - sticky little buggers) This new batch is in a specimen container that will be much easier - I will drip acclimate over an hour or so and place the container in and let them crawl out on their own accord. I was thinking of taking some of the tank water and placing it in a smaller bucket/container with a rock (I have a few very small unattached rocks) with some aptasia to hopefully have a few breed outside the tank since I've read that the eggs are easily and readily eaten.

Has anyone had any real luck with them in a medium sized tank? I've read a lot of mixed reviews and if they were really the "magic cure" - wouldn't they be more readily available?

On a side note, I also have a carpenter wrasse (that I don't recall being a berghia hunter - it is out in the column all day, and sleeping in the rocks at night) = never once ever saw it hunting the rocks, and a p.friedmani which I don't know if it is a predator or not of berghia. But it is a mean little bugger that does not tolerate new fish.

Also due to having some LPS and zoas, a butterfly is not a good option either.

Would a dozen or so pep shrimp be a better option if in a few months I don't see any progress?

I guess on a positive note - I have never had a sick or diseased fish ever ... and that includes my marine tank 15 years ago and the freshwater I did in between. I've always believed in buying health fish and providing the proper diet and variety. Not just flake foods.

Diana

white_queen
10/04/2016, 02:30 AM
How are they doing now? Are they starting to clear up your tank? I may be getting into this same issue...in fact if you have eggs do you think they would ship?

[17]shawn[17]
10/05/2016, 07:59 PM
Hey Diana, I have been breeding berghia for nearly a year so I have quite a bit of experience with these guys. And have heard many success stories, there are really only 3 things required to be almost 100% success full

1- no predators, which include wrasse and peppermint shrimp
2- initial population density, you are spot on with approx 1per 10gal
3- time, these guys are small compared to your tank and it takes them time to hunt and stumble around til they find food.

ThRoewer
10/11/2016, 03:16 AM
I added 5 Berghia to my 20 gallon Nuovo Abyss tank.
Stock in there is:
- Janssi pipefish (male)
- Banggai Cardinal (female)
- Yasha goby (male)
- a pair of candy cane pistol shrimp
- at least a few hundred mini pest anemones that look like fancy bonsai aptasia.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=359690&stc=1&d=1476176787

I saw a two of the Berghia the next few days and a single one a while later. I never saw them going for the pest anemones and the ones I saw a while later had not colored up from eating anemones and seemed to be smaller than before. After the last sighting of a single one 2 to 3 weeks have passed without one showing up (I check at night).

The rock work is basically one Real Reef plate and some small substrate pieces the macro algae came on (and the pest anemones). So really not much to hide exceptionally well all the time.

I feel they didn't eat these anemones and that they may have starved to death.

Whiterabbitrage
10/16/2016, 12:01 AM
Berghia are great. At first you don't see them, and after a month or two the aiptasia is still everywhere then at some point the balance turns and the aiptasia disappears.

ali1
01/24/2017, 08:49 AM
I got my nudibranch from saltyunderground for my aptasia problem. It was a coral-only tank,so no predators. They did nothing to my aptasia and never seen the berghias again.

Optionman
01/24/2017, 09:02 AM
i had a terrible aiptasia problem in my RS S650 175 gal reef for months, nothing helped including aiptasia-x, etc... i finally added 15 large peppermint shrimp last week and after 7 days EVERY aiptasia is gone!!! they did nothing for the first 5 days then went crazy. best $75 i ever spent.

ThRoewer
01/24/2017, 12:27 PM
I have an "aptasia" problem in my 20 gallon Novo Abyss and so far nothing worked. I tried Berghia and peppermint shrimp, both didn't touch them. Though what I have doesn't look like the typical aptasia. They stay rather small. So I'm not sure if they are the kind of aptasia that these predators go after.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bif24701
01/24/2017, 12:35 PM
I bought 8 Berghia for my 180 and added them 15 Oct, since then they have multiples very well and cleaned off several rocks so far. So far so good. I started feeding my peppermint shrimp to make sure they don't eat them. My display is fallow right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk