PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 or Gen 3 Pro Upgrade?

atp0726
09/23/2016, 10:20 AM
Getting back into the hobby after a couple year hiatus. I was planning on using my Radion Gen 1 w/TIR lenses over a new 42g 30Lx18Wx18H tank. I was thinking my gen 1 would be plenty, however just realized I can now upgrade. I always felt the gen 1 was missing LEDs on the violet side of the spectrum and now I see with the upgrade to the 3 I would get that.

For my size tank and from all the experience gained in the past two years since being out of the hobby, is the upgrade worth it in others opinion? Will the 3 be sufficient or should I go for the pro? I will be adding the RMS mount as well so with the Pro upgrade things start to get $$$ and there may be another lighting option out there at that price for my setup.

mfinn
09/24/2016, 08:31 AM
I feel it's a very worth while upgrade. I did it to all 5 of my gen 1's.
I stayed with the gen 3 non pro. I did the wide angle lens on all of them too.

atp0726
09/24/2016, 06:54 PM
I feel it's a very worth while upgrade. I did it to all 5 of my gen 1's.
I stayed with the gen 3 non pro. I did the wide angle lens on all of them too.

Thanks for the response. Thinking i will just upgrade to the Gen 3 non pro. I have the TIR lenses. Hopefully they are transferrable.

mfinn
09/24/2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the response. Thinking i will just upgrade to the Gen 3 non pro. I have the TIR lenses. Hopefully they are transferrable.

I'm sure the lens are, but you will get better spread for the 30" tank.

davehead86
09/26/2016, 01:44 PM
I would go with the Pro upgrade because you wont be able to get the 4 upgrade on a Gen 1 light EVER. And so an upgrade to the pro version will keep your light as good as possible for a longer period of time.

Had I waited 6 months i would have also chosen the 3 pro instead of just the 3.

mfinn
09/26/2016, 02:43 PM
I would go with the Pro upgrade because you wont be able to get the 4 upgrade on a Gen 1 light EVER. And so an upgrade to the pro version will keep your light as good as possible for a longer period of time.

Makes a lot of sense now.