PDA

View Full Version : Daydream an actually possible tank---if you had the funds.

Sk8r
09/23/2016, 11:17 AM
Mine, having done various sorts of reefs and a fish-only, would be a damsel-and anemone reef.

I'd want a 300 gallon circular tank, 36" deep (I know a company that builds them in glass, with a central downflow box). I'd build my rockwork around the downflow box, zoned light and flow, lps lower down, sps atop--no poci or stylophora in the sps: damsels, I hear, may get nippy prior to breeding. And room for a nice magnifica nem, which one hopes would be happy with its own area of rockwork and strong lighting.

Killer flow, 3 Gyres mounted on braces, 2 vertical mount, one horizontal, LED kits, about 3, each set to zone.

Some clowns, and several domino damsels, golden and black; a number of Fiji blues; some blue stars; some yellowtails; couple of b&w three-stripes, maybe blennies, yellow watchman, filefish, small fish, various inverts. The trick is getting everybody in as juvies; what's same-old, same-old doesn't get questioned by the dominants. The big damsels and clowns will share the nem, which can get a couple of feet wide.

No corners, territory pinned to the rockwork and nem, and endless-swim config.

What's your pie-in-the-sky tank?

toothybugs
09/23/2016, 12:47 PM
I'd love to set up a 7-8 foot long, 4 foot wide tank that is 24-30" deep. One side of it is a block-ish shaped reef similar to yours in coral placement probably 3 feet out in to the water column off one end, the end that contains the overflow box ( setup is peninsular, no rock against the glass except under the overflow box) and lit by 10-14K halides with LED supplement. The other end, with 2-3 feet of open water between them, is another deeper reef covered in macros. Same 10K, only no LED. Most of the flow is on the coral side with the occasional surge coming out to move the macros.

I'd expect that it would be stocked primarily with smaller fish.

GimpyFin
09/23/2016, 12:48 PM
For tanks that are actually possible, I'd love a 400-500 gallon (mostly sps) reef. Possibly even a drop-off style. Notable fish would probably include an Achilles tang, some Ventralis anthias, and a blonde Naso tang with streamers so long you could hang banners off them. Maybe even a pair of lightning maroon clowns.

I'd also like an equally sized aggressive FOWLR tank. Some cool triggers like a blueline or kiri (I'd also have to get a Humuhumunukunukuapua'a because my wife is from Hawaii) and maybe some small combo of angels like an emperor, queen, or annularis.

lifeoffaith
09/23/2016, 01:29 PM
My dream tank may become a reality before too long, only I may have to build it out of plywood. 300 gallon cubish tank (a little longer than wider) with heavy rockwork spread out a bit in piles. Heavily stocked with angels and butterflyfish and an eel. Probably would end up being a smaller eel, maybe two snowflakes. Dreaming a little bigger I'd do a drop off tank so the bottom section could be lots of caves for the eels.

Bent
09/23/2016, 02:11 PM
Mine would be a huge species predator tank. Sort of like a dog or cat, but in the water.

If we are talking money no object tank and animal, then I would want a 10,000 gallon 10'x10'x6' tank with a single gymnothorax javanicus.

If we are talking moderately feasible, I'd go with a 250-300g with a tessalata, or a 180 standard with a pair of dragons.

Another thing would be a race track style tank with a huge slender grouper.

Although a standard 210 with a miniatus grouper or clown trigger would be cool too.

I would not want a massive reef. Just my opinion.

m0nkie
09/23/2016, 02:23 PM
Just got it home yesterday. 560gal dream tank built. Mainly SPS

http://rs29.pbsrc.com/albums/c252/krzyaznm0nkie/Mobile%20Uploads/20160922_141437_zps5qzbcuo0.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Sk8r
09/23/2016, 03:18 PM
Congrats on that!

reef thief
09/23/2016, 06:09 PM
I'd want a salt water fish tank with a nemo. I would adorn it with Walmart decorations and put pink lights and bubbles in it! But I hear they are hard to maintain.

ReefTeacher
09/23/2016, 07:11 PM
Mine would be a huge fast growing cheap acropora system. They could all be brown as far as I'm concerned. But this fish would be hard to maintain coralivores, especially Chaetodon larvatus.

zsuman101
09/25/2016, 08:01 AM
give me the brs 160

MuShu
09/25/2016, 05:15 PM
A 240-260 tank with lots of wrasses, a pair of clowns, lots of firefish and dartfish, and several angels. I will also have a Mandarin, a Magnificent Foxface, and an Aussie tusk. Probably another sharpnosed puffer since I adore my teeny Valentini. Maybe some tangs, but I'm not sure.

As far as corals, non-brain LPS (brains freak my Husband out, and trumpet and tube corals look too similar to him. Duncans, hammers, torch are fine though), a variety of colorful polyps, and some donut corals.

Whiterabbitrage
10/01/2016, 03:00 PM
When my boyfriend and I were looking at houses we went to a few open houses that we no way could afford, just for fun. A couple had swimming pools indoors but one had the pool all through the house, like a swimming pool stream. It was 6 foot deep and glasses off from the main house except he biggest room in the house which had glass walls and a bridge over the stream. I kept thinking how I would turn that glass walled room into a green house for rainforest plants, and in the swimming pool stream maybe have fish, arrowana maybe, for fresh water, or a queen parrot and queen trigger if salt. Sigh....

jmike0311
10/02/2016, 05:41 AM
Very nice! Congratulations!! Hoping to see a build thread!

jmike0311
10/02/2016, 05:53 AM
That previous post was to #6. I've actually been working up a house plan based around an L-shaped system. It would be a plywood and glass build 4'wide 4'deep and 8' long on each side. One would be a 4' cube mixed reef and the other section 4'x4'x8' predator/aggressive species. It comes out to roughly 1500 gallons display volume. I would build it so that there was an 18" bar around it with pictures and descriptions of some of the livestock embedded in epoxy. I want to do a mix of led and natural sunlight for the lighting and DIY as much of the system as possible. Hopes and dreams right!!!

2smokes
10/10/2016, 03:15 AM
My dream tank is allready becoming reality.It will be a cold water kreisel tank made from glass and without lights . The dream inhabitant is this fish that nobody has kept (alive and well) in an aquarium before. http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/kataliniliescu/dark-lanternfish-pic_zpsorlh0uxq.jpg Thogh more realistic would be this flashlight fish instead of the myctophid .http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/kataliniliescu/one-fin-flashlight-fish-40M0911-13_zpsdqeirhwt.jpg

BlackTip
10/10/2016, 09:03 AM
This idea is played in my head many times. My current tank is my first. I did few things that I wished would have done differently. Also, I wish I had dedicated fish room.

So, back to daydreaming. If money is no object, and space is not an issue, I want 12' X 4' tank placed in a center of a large room with very high ceilings. All plumping go through the floor to a basement. The filtration system will be as natural as possible with various sumps connected, and each sump is designed to do one thing. Central overflow boxes, closed loops, floating lights, glass tops with easy access, basin surround the tank for possible spills.

Fredfish
10/10/2016, 11:30 AM
Mine, having done various sorts of reefs and a fish-only, would be a damsel-and anemone reef.

I'd want a 300 gallon circular tank, 36" deep (I know a company that builds them in glass, with a central downflow box)...
If we're gonna dream... Think Ripley's big with couches interspersed on the movator so you can just plunk yourself down with your favourite beverage. and peruse your reef for hours on end.

King Reefin
10/11/2016, 05:36 PM
How about a 500 gal. Fully stocked. Coarl reef Self maintain Ecosystem. You did say dream.

amps
10/17/2016, 03:05 PM
I'd love an 16ft tank, wall to wall and with a slight concave bend to it. The scape would simulate a shallow droppoff with bright light near the shallow and progressively bluer and darker towards the deep end.

The sole inhabitant would be a full sized Clown Trigger. Corals would be a mix of LPS and SPS from end to end.

vikinglord13
10/22/2016, 12:33 AM
I literally cannot settle for just one tank. Cannot do it.

If money were no concern I would have three tanks.

My main tank would be a horseshoe tank that is tall enough that I could walk under and be surrounded on 4 sides (left, front, right, and top). I've seen an aquarium do this (I think Seattle has one... it might be a bubble view underneath a dock) so I know it's possible. My heart isn't set on whether it would be a FOWLR or Reef... I just can't decide. *** If anybody has been to the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks, OK there's a large "wall" aquarium which is similar to what I would want.

My second tank would just be a long tank, at least 8' where I can have different aquascape sections: an island tower (think Minas Tirith without the mountain behind it), a great arch, a canyon, and a gently sloping hill. I've always loved aquascaping and I think good aquascaping can make or break a tank.

My third tank would be a predator tank. Think custom-designed tank from one of those shows like Tanked or Fish Tank Kings. It would be a sunken Viking Longship. Ideally, I'd have an eel, shark, ray, maybe a lionfish. I'd want it to scream aggressive.

Now... something I've dreamed of since I was little would be to have a huge waterfall aquarium like something you'd see at a Bass Pro Shops where it has a "river" flowing into an "ocean" which I would use for salmon or trout. Also possible, but it would require a huge house. I also wouldn't mind a similar design that just focused on North American freshwater fish.

*Edit*

I suppose that is four tanks after all...

McPuff
10/26/2016, 11:54 AM
Money no object... I'd say a full wall tank, 20' wide, 8' tall, 8' front to back. Huge rock structures and all types of fish, corals too. Naturally lit with LEDs for color. Bill Wann would be my inspiration for this one. Hundreds of fish. Many schools.

Realistic... 8' x 4' footprint, 30" tall. Contents would be similar to my current tank (final stage) - several large coral colonies (LPS, SPS) and fish of all types but many tangs, several angels, a few triggers, puffers. Dozens of species. Several schools.

In essence, the tanks are the same, just different scales (pun!). :0)

vashawn
10/26/2016, 12:49 PM
I just want a tank so big i can do snorkeling !

Sk8r
10/26/2016, 02:10 PM
A park in CA used to have a manmade reef you could snorkel in---I was there, with the flu of all things, and couldn't resist. Cold water. My friend's wetsuit didn't fit right, so she got chilled blue; but with a fever, I was right happy. We'd let the waves of kids power past, then just sink down and down as the little angels and others came out of the rockwork, evidently having gotten the rhythm of such incursions. We were in there for an hour, watching the 'little guys' of the reef, and such fun. Tank about half the size of an Olympic pool. It COULD be done...

vikinglord13
10/26/2016, 10:07 PM
I saw an episode on Fish tank Kings where some uber rich couple in Florida had a swimming pool that was just saltwater tank with an artificial reef.

Bobbitworm13
10/29/2016, 10:53 AM
12x48"x24" peninsula with a 4 foot overflow that stabs out into the center. Sea grass on the open end and a rocky w surrounding the overflow. A coral cat shark and some fuzzy dwarf Lionfish for stocking.

deeznutz1
11/08/2016, 07:41 PM
If money were no object, I think I'd have to do a perimeter tank. 36 tall and 30 deep in a 20x20 room. That would be awesome. Having fish literally swimming circles while you stand in the centre.

Joey_bananas420
11/15/2016, 11:30 AM
My dream is to convert a in ground swimming pool to a reef. Build a green house over top the pool use automatic shutters to turn down the sunlight coming in. Dig a basement next to the swimming pool and cut a large viewing window into the side of the pool so you can look in from the basement next door. I thought it would be cool to have lots of leds and small amounts of sunlight through mindow ringing or manipulation of the shutters for supplemental lighting and several metal halides mounted to a fixture that would cycle from one side of the green house to the other while powered on and back again while powered off to simulate the sun moving across the sky. Open all the shutters at night for moon light. Just ideas incase I ever get filthy rich.

Joey_bananas420
11/15/2016, 11:32 AM
Window tinting*

CrayolaViolence
11/15/2016, 05:46 PM
A park in CA used to have a manmade reef you could snorkel in---I was there, with the flu of all things, and couldn't resist. Cold water. My friend's wetsuit didn't fit right, so she got chilled blue; but with a fever, I was right happy. We'd let the waves of kids power past, then just sink down and down as the little angels and others came out of the rockwork, evidently having gotten the rhythm of such incursions. We were in there for an hour, watching the 'little guys' of the reef, and such fun. Tank about half the size of an Olympic pool. It COULD be done...

This...this is what I want... LOL

CrayolaViolence
11/15/2016, 05:46 PM
My dream is to convert a in ground swimming pool to a reef. Build a green house over top the pool use automatic shutters to turn down the sunlight coming in. Dig a basement next to the swimming pool and cut a large viewing window into the side of the pool so you can look in from the basement next door. I thought it would be cool to have lots of leds and small amounts of sunlight through mindow ringing or manipulation of the shutters for supplemental lighting and several metal halides mounted to a fixture that would cycle from one side of the green house to the other while powered on and back again while powered off to simulate the sun moving across the sky. Open all the shutters at night for moon light. Just ideas incase I ever get filthy rich.

Glad to know I'm not the only crazy SOB...LOL

Joey_bananas420
11/16/2016, 04:36 AM
Lol this hobby brings out the crazy in a lot of us

Spiffy
11/29/2016, 09:49 AM
A six by six bowl with a goldfish, an air stone, a small plastic plant, and a tiny LED for a light. Oh, and brown marbles for the substrate.

disc1
11/29/2016, 01:16 PM
My dream tank would be to put myself in the glass box on the great barrier and let nature do her thing around me.

sde1500
11/29/2016, 01:18 PM
Current day dream is getting out of student loan debt and buying a big plot of land, current 10 acres is ok really want somewhere around 50, and building a house. The tank will be in the formal dining room, against the wall. I have plans picked out already, just need to push the back wall out about 3 feet to do a 14x3x3 tank. Fish room planned underneath in the walkout basement.

http://www.homeplans.com/house-plans/media/catalog/product/cache/10/image/828x553/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/a/vaa285-lvl1-li-bl.png

Other idea is a peninsula tank between the kitchen and living room, but that location doesn't serve well for a basement fish room. So everything would have to be under the tank, and I'm not sure if I want that or not. But hey, my dream has options!

albano
11/29/2016, 03:18 PM
Other idea is a peninsula tank between the kitchen and living room...

Better idea!... After ~60 yrs of fish keeping, having many different tanks in many different rooms of 5 different homes... Living room, playroom, man cave...the best location is where YOU will be most often...

sde1500
11/29/2016, 03:31 PM
Better idea!... After ~60 yrs of fish keeping, having many different tanks in many different rooms of 5 different homes... Living room, playroom, man cave...the best location is where YOU will be most often...

Excellent point. That's why I've been revising my "plan" to lean towards the living room tank.

ca1ore
12/04/2016, 05:10 PM
My dream tank was the Marineland DD400 ..... with an attached lagoon tank with sea grasses.

Unfortunately, they never actually made one so I'd have to go custom. Logistics, not to mention cost, made it impractical.

nate16
12/04/2016, 05:42 PM
How about this,

The tank IS the house and I live inside the tank.

You said dream.

KingOfAll_Tyrants
12/04/2016, 08:59 PM
How about this,

The tank IS the house and I live inside the tank.

You said dream.

You mean this tank (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwic_cW3kdzQAhXBQyYKHa3CDv4QjhwIBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.poseidonresorts.com%2F&psig=AFQjCNG89rmSzZXcsEX0YNGdGjxpAQH4uw&ust=1480995800142547)?

:D

Seriously, I have one that I think about in all the boring useless meetings I have to attend at work.

Drop off type tank. BUT, the drop off's actual depth from surface to sand is 40". The top of the dropoff is a reef crest, with two Kessil 360s (thus, 48" wide). Below 20 inches, I have some deeper non photosynthetic corals.

And here's the kicker: at the bottom of the wall, I want to keep garden eels. 8 of them, so we need at least 8 square feet and 12 inches of DSB for the smaller, aquarium friendly ones. So, the actual tank depth is 52" (40"wall +12"DSB), and to give the eels a bit of room the width from the wall is 3ft (especially since the "wall" is actually a slope).

So, the dropoff area is 48x36x40 (52 in actuality).

The pre-dropoff area is the top of the crest - a dense shallow water reef crest coral area, with a large anemone and a clownfish or 5 - and then a good bit of sand with a patch reef or two (maybe one with shallow water gorgonians?). 48X36X16. This gives my tangs a good 6' to swim in. The fish stocking possibilities are endless.

I think that's like 500 gallons. Cnidarian "chemical warfare" might be interesting in this tank.

I also want a display refugium of 200 gallons to absorb the nutrients. This would be a seagrass bed.

Connected to this would be a 'pod and plankton culture tank (to feed everything!). Water changes would need an elaborate plumbing system and huge RO containers. More practically (or less?), if I lived by the sea I could get local saltwater to save having to mix salt (at the cost of having to use a pickup and trailer water container if I use a local aquarium-friendly seawater source). To be honest, this is better suited for a public aquarium (if I owned a small shopping mall or somesuch, the proceeds could easily fund the tank, and the tank would attract business. :D :D ).

Quite impractical and expensive. It would look cool though. Or at least I think so. :D

vikinglord13
12/06/2016, 09:11 PM
That drop off tanks sounds pretty cool.

Though, why not use the sea grass refugium as a homefor the pods?

KingOfAll_Tyrants
12/06/2016, 09:37 PM
That drop off tanks sounds pretty cool.

Though, why not use the sea grass refugium as a homefor the pods?

cuz I'm afraid that it won't be enough :) And franky, I may need more than just pods. I may need cultures of other things, as well, added to the tank for the feeding needs of all kinds of nems, non-photosynthetic corals, photosynthetic corals, sponges, etc. To say nothing of the garden eels.

In all, quite impractical. But a less ambitious version of such a tank is possible, which is the thing I'll be dreaming up in the tommorrow's useless meeting........ :D :D