PDA

View Full Version : Need Filter Replacement suggestion

hipertec
09/24/2016, 06:48 PM
Ive been in the reef hobby for 10+ years and stopped for about 8 years and now back into the reef hobby. I still have a Coralife RO/DI system that has the membrane on the top and 2 canister on the bottom of the metal plate.

I have also added a 3rd canister filter before going to the membrane and then a 4th DI canister after the membrane, then going to the bucket.

My question is that I need to replace the membrane and the all the filters.

#1. Can you advise what Membrane and GPH that will match my Coralife RO/DI system?
#2 What is the 1st and 2nd filters names that I need to replace with?
#3 The 3rd canister looks like a regular white filter. Can you advise your suggestion for this canister?
#4 The last canister houses my DI (I think)- the filter is brown is color. Can you advise your filter replacement?
#5 What is the ratio of the good water and the bad water exiting the ground?
#6 Since my setup now has to hook up to the garden hose, do you have a pressure gauge that I can use to dial in the ratio to the bad water exit? How to setup and place where?

Buckeye Hydro
09/25/2016, 03:54 AM
#1. Can you advise what Membrane and GPH that will match my Coralife RO/DI system?
At this point it really doesn't matter what the capacity was of that old membrane. Because you're going to replace it, you can install any capacity you'd like (as well as a matching flow restrictor).

#2 What is the 1st and 2nd filters names that I need to replace with? #3 The 3rd canister looks like a regular white filter. Can you advise your suggestion for this canister?

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you have a total of three filters that touch the water before it gets to the membrane. Can you tell me about your tap water? Is it well water? Chlorinated city water? City water with chloramines? The nature of your tap water will affect which three filters will be best for you.

#4 The last canister houses my DI (I think)- the filter is brown is color. Can you advise your filter replacement?
You can find a new 10" x 2.5" DI cartridge here: http://www.buckeyehydro.com/color-changing-mixed-bed-di-resin-cartridge/

#5 What is the ratio of the good water and the bad water exiting the ground?
I'm not sure what you mean. When you get your new membrane and new flow restrictor installed, you should be shooting for a 4:1 ratio. If you have a water softener and naturally soft water we can change that a bit.

#6 Since my setup now has to hook up to the garden hose, do you have a pressure gauge that I can use to dial in the ratio to the bad water exit? How to setup and place where?

We do have pressure gauge add on kits here: http://www.buckeyehydro.com/pressure-gauges-1/
but that is not the way you'd adjust the ratio of waste water to purified water.
If your system doesn't have a pressure gauge, you'll sure need one. As well as a TDS meter.
Can I make a suggestion to you? How about if you give us a call when you are in front of the system and we'll get all this squared away.

Russ

Russ