PDA

View Full Version : SPS Dominated Evolution Aqua

sahin
09/25/2016, 06:25 AM
Tank:
Evolution Aqua 1200S - approx 48" x 24" x 18"H - roughly 95G including sump.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1621_zps5paiogii.jpg

The cabinet/stand is nothing special. But the display is really nice. The work on the glass and silicone is excellent.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1623_zpsygkrro62.jpg

Sump area.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1625_zpswpyn9crr.jpg

Return:
Ecotech Marine Vectra M1

Skimmer:
Deltec SC 1456 - rated for 1000litres

Light:
ATI Hybrid - *still to purchase*. Will be 8xT5 and 3x75watt LED clusters

Flow:
1 x MP40
1 x Tunze 6095

Filtration:
DVH All-in-one Biopellets.

Dosing:
ATI Essentials. This is a new offering from ATI; it is essentially similar to balling lite.

This will be a very slow build. I have literally no time. :headwallblue: 3 kids...4th on the way...and work being ever so busy. In fact I was forced to accept delivery of the tank several weeks early as the LFS is sadly closing down and my tank had already been sitting in the store over 4 or 5 weeks. :eek:

The current 47G tank was moved across the room last week so that I could accept delivery of the new tank and could transfer the stock over slowly. Both tanks will be running until I am satisfied the filtration is ok and the parameters stable.

Fish stocking:
The fish stock will be kept low-moderate. One of the reasons for the upgrade was so that I could keep a Regal Angel and a Convict Tang as well as provide more space for my feminus wrasse.

Kieran
09/25/2016, 06:28 AM
Nice Sahin, just got the 1500 pro recently myself. You won't be disappointed.

OllieNZ
09/25/2016, 06:35 AM
Very nice looking tank. I've seen them in the flesh and they certainly look well made.
Are you going to be adding a background?

rovster
09/25/2016, 07:54 AM
I'm in! Sweet setup can't wait to see what you do with more room:D

Magem
09/25/2016, 07:56 AM
Nice setup! Following...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Jos1965
09/25/2016, 08:47 AM
Nice setup 👍🏻

reefwiser
09/25/2016, 09:03 AM
Nice one Sahin, tough one for NAV on his store shutting down.:( what not MH in the hood.
well you could mod it in the future.

That New Guy
09/25/2016, 04:25 PM
I thought my Nuvo had clean lines... That tank is insane. Looking forward to seeing it full.

joshky
09/25/2016, 04:59 PM
Wow Sahin, this is going to be SWEET! I can't tell you how envious I am of your 18" height, we'll have the same footprint but that extra 2" will be great.

Benar
09/25/2016, 07:30 PM
I have literally no time. :headwallblue: 3 kids...4th on the way...

Mate you've obviously got time! Maybe add a telly to your list of purchases?

But seriously, looks really neat. Look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Nibrown9
09/25/2016, 08:24 PM
Awesome set up. Can't wait to see it flourish

Rakie
09/26/2016, 12:31 AM
I'm in! Sweet setup can't wait to see what you do with more room:D

I'm guessing more SPS

biggles
09/26/2016, 03:29 AM
I don't care what it looks like or what you put in it Sahin. It's just good to have you back with a fresh start and a cool upgrade mate :)

# I give it 6 months tops before i regret saying that when Sahin starts all his sneaky lying stuff about what he really has in the display........ :rolleyes:

reefmutt
09/26/2016, 04:29 AM
Looks great, Sahin! Good luck with this build!
Very much looking forward to watching this one take shape.

Johnyman
09/26/2016, 04:45 AM
Awsome Sahin! Good luck!!
I'll be following your thread and I'm very curious about the DVH All-in-one Biopellets.

MichaelW
09/26/2016, 01:45 PM
Very nice. Looking forward to it. Still waiting to hear a bit more about your AEFW protocol you had mentioned.

Jim Z.
09/26/2016, 03:48 PM
Nice with a clean crisp appearance. Your fish and corals will appreciate the new setup. ..............Jim

alexmatos123
09/26/2016, 04:39 PM
Nice clea looking and organized

shih87
09/27/2016, 10:56 AM
excellent equipment choose, wavemaker, pump, light, skimmer, etc....

Way to go!!!

Note: I did not hear Apex or other controller!? Four kids!!! got to get one....please.

Elton Wng
09/28/2016, 01:27 AM
Must to have place for our KH Guardian!

Chrisrush
09/28/2016, 06:45 AM
Looks great Sahin. Definitely following along.

HuskerBioProf
09/28/2016, 02:37 PM
Don't muddy up that pretty tank by adding water/coral to it. Just leave it as it is!

westreef
09/28/2016, 02:54 PM
Congrat! Very nice upgrade. It is going to look great with corals.

mountainraised
09/28/2016, 03:34 PM
Beautiful crisp lines on that rimless. Definitely following.

Quiverfull
09/28/2016, 07:52 PM
This is going to be good. Can't wait to see your aquascape ideas. Good luck. We'll follow

Greg

Rakie
09/29/2016, 11:25 AM
Beautiful crisp lines on that rimless. Definitely following.

Yes they definitely are nice and clean looking.

I think the type of Overflow he uses also helps it look clean. Box-less overflows immediately looked like the next thing that will come up in reefing to me (although that may be retro?).

tmc1313
09/30/2016, 09:05 AM
I love the dimensions of this tank. I have a standard 120 gallon (48"x24"x24") and I wish my height was lower at around 18"-20". This is going to be sweet. Catch me up to speed, I'm a little behind on my information. Did something happen to your last tank or is it still set up and this is an upgrade? I'll be looking forward to updates.

bobssecrtsn
10/01/2016, 05:00 PM
Nice start Sahin!!!

rtparty
10/01/2016, 05:43 PM
Congrats Sahin! Can't wait to see what light you build for this one!

(PS - I know it says an ATI Hybrid is going over it but we both know you'll build some other hybrid for it!)

BruceWayne
10/01/2016, 09:56 PM
What a clean set up very nice.

plyle02
10/02/2016, 06:45 AM
Congrats on the new tank buddy, going to be something special for sure :) The equipment list is pure class!

Haksar
10/02/2016, 01:20 PM
Congrats Sahin on the new build.

swk
10/04/2016, 06:34 PM
I have the deltec 1655 coming myself. Same skimmer with an AC pump instead of the jebao dc pump.

Looking forward to watching the progress. Like the light selection too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swk
10/04/2016, 08:49 PM
I have the deltec 1655 coming myself. Same skimmer with an AC pump instead of the jebao dc pump.

Looking forward to watching the progress. Like the light selection too!

Ugh. Make that the 1455...

SUPAkg
10/04/2016, 08:57 PM
Clean set up.. following

rmgaspar
10/05/2016, 04:37 AM
Really nice Sahin!!!

Hope this thread has more updates than the previous one. Remember to take lots of pictures of the old before breaking up.

Are you keeping a fuge?
I would start with chaeto before the pellets ... with a good fuge and since you don't want that many fishes, probably you control it in a more natural way. Also a fuge will help feeding your reef.

Also instead of ATI would you consider Triton? I am using it and I am really happy with it.

All the best,
Rui

cugly
10/06/2016, 03:05 AM
Very nice my friend can't wait to see how this turns out.

lcj2046
10/09/2016, 09:13 PM
I'am in waiting for this build.. Don't care how long it takes. Take your time.

ifarmer
10/14/2016, 10:31 AM
awesome. cant wait to see this tank is setup.
what do you plan to light the tank with? LED only?

sahin
10/22/2016, 05:30 AM
Very nice looking tank. I've seen them in the flesh and they certainly look well made.
Are you going to be adding a background?

No background. I've seen some tank without a background and they looked nice.

Awsome Sahin! Good luck!!
I'll be following your thread and I'm very curious about the DVH All-in-one Biopellets.

Rui has convinced me not to go with Biopellets...:spin2: So no Biopellets. Just Seachem Matrix and Prodibio Dosing for now. I've always started tank with Prodibio and never had SPS loses so I'm doing the same this time. At some point ie once a few fish have been added I will add a refugium.

Yes they definitely are nice and clean looking.

I think the type of Overflow he uses also helps it look clean. Box-less overflows immediately looked like the next thing that will come up in reefing to me (although that may be retro?).

Forgot to mention; I have installed two Oceanlife overflows. They look minimal and do take decent flow throughput. I'm running the Ecotech Vectra at 35%. I'm getting very decent flow through the sump.

I love the dimensions of this tank. I have a standard 120 gallon (48"x24"x24") and I wish my height was lower at around 18"-20". This is going to be sweet. Catch me up to speed, I'm a little behind on my information. Did something happen to your last tank or is it still set up and this is an upgrade? I'll be looking forward to updates.

This is an upgrade. Current tank is way too small. I have some colonies that need space. Plus I want to keep some larger fish than I have been keeping so far.

Congrats Sahin! Can't wait to see what light you build for this one!

(PS - I know it says an ATI Hybrid is going over it but we both know you'll build some other hybrid for it!)

Hopefully it will be an ATI Hybrid.

Really nice Sahin!!!

Hope this thread has more updates than the previous one. Remember to take lots of pictures of the old before breaking up.

Are you keeping a fuge?
I would start with chaeto before the pellets ... with a good fuge and since you don't want that many fishes, probably you control it in a more natural way. Also a fuge will help feeding your reef.

Also instead of ATI would you consider Triton? I am using it and I am really happy with it.

All the best,
Rui

Rui, you convinced me to not go Biopellets. Will add a refugium later.

awesome. cant wait to see this tank is setup.
what do you plan to light the tank with? LED only?

ATI Hybrid.

sahin
10/22/2016, 05:54 AM
Current FTS:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1636_zpsgg843t6a.jpg

Tank has been scaped by my awesome friend Nav using 99% Real Reef Rocks (apart from the small piece of coral branch on the left hand side).

He used a few boulders and mainly branches. Its not obvious from the photo but the islands are slanted towards the left and there is plenty of space for those acros.

The sand is Reeflowers Pearl White Sand. This is the most white sand I've come across. Of course I made sure some of my buddies tested it out in their tanks first. :lolspin:

Tank had saltwater put in about a week ago. I chucked in a few vials of Prodibio bacteria and some other bacteria that was supplied by Evolution Aqua with the tank. After 5 days I put in an acro frag (my Blue tort). It browned out but is still alive. No STN or anything like that. I'll put in a few sensitive acro frags over the weekend as the Blue tort I consider very hardy.

Usernam Invalid
10/22/2016, 07:50 AM
Look at all that extra room your acros will love it

reefwiser
10/22/2016, 07:54 AM
Oh boy it's show time. Looks like a good start.:)

cugly
10/22/2016, 12:20 PM
Looks great looks like an Eli's now let see what is under that tank.

rmgaspar
10/22/2016, 04:30 PM
Hello Sahin ... looks great !!!! Are you putting some of your own rock to seed? Are you putting marine pure blocks to compensate the small amount of rock?

Next week I will send water to triton and I will evaluate the aluminum levels as there as some suspicions that marine pure leaches aluminum. I will update the findings.

And is the scape pre-drilled for you bases as the other one?

Also ... please a pic from the "down under". I am curious about how you are implementing the anti-aefw contraption.

And don't wait too long to start the fuge. It needs time to develop and you will benefit from the extra life without fishes.

All the best ... I am pretty sure this is going to be even a bigger success.

BTW your tort, decadia, redplanet are absolutely amazing. I need to update my thread!

All the best,
Rui

drawman
10/22/2016, 08:29 PM
Very nice start Sahin! I like the openness of the rockwork it will have some great space for coral growth! Can't wait to see this develop.

taby15
10/22/2016, 10:50 PM
This will come out great.

cugly
10/22/2016, 11:55 PM
Looks great looks like an Elos now let see what is under that tank.

this is me
10/24/2016, 08:20 AM
Sahin,
Beautiful tank! The aquascape is already a win in my book. Can't wait to see this tank to be filled with SPS.

Only one Regal Angelfish? I say go for a pair! Mine are the stars of the tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOl8FsFVQUM

DiscusHeckel
10/26/2016, 12:14 PM
What a wonderful start. Subscribed. Would you mind sharing your plumbing and sump arrangement please Sahin?

DiscusHeckel
10/26/2016, 12:16 PM
Sorry double post.

chopper320
10/26/2016, 02:50 PM
I really like that aquascape. It will look great when it's full of sticks!

joshky
10/26/2016, 06:37 PM
Wow looking great Sahin!

Rakie
10/26/2016, 08:55 PM
Now that I'm spending more time searching for quality aquascapes I'm seeing the appeal of Tonga branch style structures for SPS tanks... Each end of branch could easily hold a frag/colony, super easy and awesome flow options, easy for fish to hide in.. So many perks are coming to light as I look at that scape.

cFloor
10/26/2016, 09:27 PM
Wow Sahin, I'm just now getting caught up with your new build. How exciting! I love the look of the tank and the aquascape bud. Definitely looking forward to following along.

sahin
10/27/2016, 02:24 PM
What a wonderful start. Subscribed. Would you mind sharing your plumbing and sump arrangement please Sahin?

Thank you Bulent. I hope to achieve the greatness of your lovely SPS reef. :)

Currently there is only the Deltec 1456 Skimmer and 2 trays containing 4 litres of Seachem Matrix stones.

The plumbing is straightforward:

2 x Oceanlife Overflows. The Ecotech Vectra M1 is split using a 1inch Y splitter and returns the water to the display via 1inch soft pipes. The drains are 1.5inch.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1641_zpsgakbvrsg.jpg

sahin
10/27/2016, 02:40 PM
Sahin,
Beautiful tank! The aquascape is already a win in my book. Can't wait to see this tank to be filled with SPS.

Only one Regal Angelfish? I say go for a pair! Mine are the stars of the tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOl8FsFVQUM

It would be a little dream come true if I could get the SPS in this tank to flourish and have a beautiful Regal Angel swimming around. :D

Wow Sahin, I'm just now getting caught up with your new build. How exciting! I love the look of the tank and the aquascape bud. Definitely looking forward to following along.

Thank you buddy. Yours is another awesome tank along with a superb fish collection. Hoping my new tank gets somewhere close to as nice as yours.

Now that I'm spending more time searching for quality aquascapes I'm seeing the appeal of Tonga branch style structures for SPS tanks... Each end of branch could easily hold a frag/colony, super easy and awesome flow options, easy for fish to hide in.. So many perks are coming to light as I look at that scape.

Thanks. Those branch ends will hopefully hold some of my best SPS pieces. :)

reefmutt
10/27/2016, 04:18 PM
Hey Sahin, love that scape!
Can't wait to see you start populating this tank.
Getting very close.
I love the smell of fresh acro in the morning!

taby15
10/27/2016, 07:53 PM
I only wish my apartment floor could support the wait of a bigger setup like this

markalot
11/02/2016, 06:52 PM
Nice to see this startup, love the scape, can't wait to see the results.

martinphillip03
11/02/2016, 08:02 PM
Sahin, Thanks for letting me know of your new build. I will enjoy following your thread. I see you had to get a tank as large as Andrews. Good luck with it.

Mary

fishresponse
11/02/2016, 10:13 PM
Looking real nice!

stef83
11/03/2016, 03:42 AM
Great New start Sahin!!!

Hope for you the best (at least same as your actual tank :) )

Just one question on your sump photo :

Skimmer is in the first compartment that can up and down. Don't you think your skimmer performance can be impact by this?

Stef (sorry for bad english)

sahin
11/04/2016, 03:47 AM
Thanks for looking into the thread my friends. :)

I've added 10 Litres of Siporax into the sump now as well. I'm putting off adding a chaeto etc as things get messy in the sump. If I had a tank room I'd be putting a proper refugium tank. So the 4litres Seachem Matrix and 10litres Siporax should be plenty of filter media for my tank size and the low-med bioload I'll be having.

I'll upload a photo of the sump later. Damn Photobucket is down for maintenance currently.

Great New start Sahin!!!

Hope for you the best (at least same as your actual tank :) )

Just one question on your sump photo :

Skimmer is in the first compartment that can up and down. Don't you think your skimmer performance can be impact by this?

Stef (sorry for bad english)

Hi Stef. Your English is just fine. However you are not correct about the skimmer/sump design. The skimmer chamber water level is 100% static. Its the 2nd baffle from the left which sets the water level in the first chamber. The water level in the middle chamber is also static.

The only chamber which could fluctuate is the last chamber ie the return pump section. However the Tunze Osmolator keeps the water level here stable as long as the top off section (the last chamber on the right) has RODI water.

By the way the Deltec 1456 skimmer is working so well. Its like perfectly matched for this tank size. I recall Andrew mentioning on this thread that his Deltec skimmer pulls out waste as soon he feeds/dumps skimmate into the tank. This is exactly what happens. The skimmer chugs along and as soon as I feed the fish, the bubbles collapse for about 20 minutes and then the skimmer resumes skimming like mad. Love the skimmer. :)

drawman
11/04/2016, 08:55 AM
Love to hear it about the Deltec. I've contemplated a switch for a while now. Keep it coming with the pics!

stef83
11/07/2016, 02:14 AM
Damn you're totally right!!!

But that's YOUR fault i have to say : When i see your tank in photo i take a drink saying : "A ta santé Sahin!!!" And just after... my vision is in trouble to see your sump :)

So waiting for more photo... My bottle of Rum waiting for...

Stef

sahin
11/08/2016, 01:29 PM
Love to hear it about the Deltec. I've contemplated a switch for a while now. Keep it coming with the pics!

Contact Adam at Battlecorals. He sells the Deltec goods in the USA. Adam recommends getting the AC version of the Deltec skimmers. I'm really happy with mine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand.

Damn you're totally right!!!

But that's YOUR fault i have to say : When i see your tank in photo i take a drink saying : "A ta santé Sahin!!!" And just after... my vision is in trouble to see your sump :)

So waiting for more photo... My bottle of Rum waiting for...

Stef

I'll post some pics up in the next few days. It's been a very busy week so far. :o

I transfered quite a few acros now. Tank is only 3 weeks old and started with completely dead rocks and sand so I was a bit worried about acros stripping etc but all is well so far; the preparation I put in seems to have paid off. The acros have browned out, however that's ok. Tank is too young to expect anything else.

maxwell
11/08/2016, 01:42 PM
Sahin
Looking good, I have a deltec skimmer on my frag qt tank and its great bit of kit it was on my last tank . Be good to see how your sps get on .
Bil

Rakie
11/09/2016, 12:15 AM
Waiting to see all your giant acro colonies! But we'll settle for a "cycle is done" update

swk
11/09/2016, 10:39 AM
Can't wait to further enjoy the progress sahin!

seachange
11/14/2016, 02:56 AM
Thanks for looking into the thread my friends. :)

I've added 10 Litres of Siporax into the sump now as well. I'm putting off adding a chaeto etc as things get messy in the sump. If I had a tank room I'd be putting a proper refugium tank. So the 4litres Seachem Matrix and 10litres Siporax should be plenty of filter media for my tank size and the low-med bioload I'll be having.

I'll upload a photo of the sump later. Damn Photobucket is down for maintenance currently.

Hi Sahin, putting off chaeto is a good decision. With that much of siporax and matrix I think nutrient export will be just fine. Plus the messiness the chaeto will cause to your clean and minimalist looking sump....

Leave the chaeto for a proper refugium tank ;)

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

milsaltnewbie07
11/14/2016, 04:34 AM
HOLY Cow Sahin that is one Gorgeous tank man wow. If this is anything like your last , then this might just be the sexiest thing out here lol.

Alex Costa
11/14/2016, 08:36 AM
Really nice......subscribed it....

GreenTankCorals
11/14/2016, 10:41 AM
The sense of design, style and finesse European reefers have seems to be missing here in the U.S. We have evolved into prioritizing size and quantity over elegance.
Just an observation after watching hundreds, probably thousands of tank builds on various reef sites.

cpllongjk
11/15/2016, 09:43 PM
Well Sahin,

I'm glad to see you got the upgrade you've always wanted. I hope the family is doing well as well as the new additions. I love that new baby smell, until they start pooping. LOL!

Nah, you and I are in the same boat, 3 kids and trying to keep the fish tank dream going. I am trying to talk the wife into an upgrade but I honestly couldn't do one unless we moved, there just isn't enough room.

Looking great! Take your time.

Jared

gdemos
11/15/2016, 09:56 PM
Looking forward to your progress Sahin. Looks like you'll get sufficient nutrient export as described but don't rule out biopellets entirely yet!!

sahin
11/16/2016, 11:02 AM
Sahin
Looking good, I have a deltec skimmer on my frag qt tank and its great bit of kit it was on my last tank . Be good to see how your sps get on .
Bil

Waiting to see all your giant acro colonies! But we'll settle for a "cycle is done" update

Can't wait to further enjoy the progress sahin!

Thanks for the interest in the tank my friends. :)

Hi Sahin, putting off chaeto is a good decision. With that much of siporax and matrix I think nutrient export will be just fine. Plus the messiness the chaeto will cause to your clean and minimalist looking sump....

Leave the chaeto for a proper refugium tank ;)

Cheers!

Thats the idea; keeping the sump clean. I've looked at the threads of some of the Brazilian reefkeepers. Denadai comes to mind right away; Siporax and nothing else. Not even liverock or sand. And still maintained great SPS colours.

HOLY Cow Sahin that is one Gorgeous tank man wow. If this is anything like your last , then this might just be the sexiest thing out here lol.

Really nice......subscribed it....

Thanks. :)

Well Sahin,

I'm glad to see you got the upgrade you've always wanted. I hope the family is doing well as well as the new additions. I love that new baby smell, until they start pooping. LOL!

Nah, you and I are in the same boat, 3 kids and trying to keep the fish tank dream going. I am trying to talk the wife into an upgrade but I honestly couldn't do one unless we moved, there just isn't enough room.

Looking great! Take your time.

Jared

Hey Jared. I'm ahead of you buddy. Our new addition (4th) was born last week; baby girl. I now have two boys and two girls. :D

I always thought a larger tank would = more work. Having had the 4x2 running for a few weeks, its not so bad at all. In fact Its more or less the same amount of work. Other than obviously needing to make more top off and water change water as well as the dosing solutions. But overall it doesnt seem like a chore as I thought it would.

The sense of design, style and finesse European reefers have seems to be missing here in the U.S. We have evolved into prioritizing size and quantity over elegance.
Just an observation after watching hundreds, probably thousands of tank builds on various reef sites.

Thank you for the nice comment. I guess you could say the styling is different in Europe. We tend not to have canopies etc. But I've tried to make up for lack of a much larger tank with decent aesthetics...the tank is part of the furniture and must look the part. Else the comments from the wife would never stop. :facepalm:

Looking forward to your progress Sahin. Looks like you'll get sufficient nutrient export as described but don't rule out biopellets entirely yet!!

I've bought the Pellets and modded a reactor already so can be added at any time. However with a select fish list I think I can keep the fish load low and wont need to resort to chaeto or even pellets.

westreef
11/16/2016, 11:26 AM
Hi Sahin, congrats on the new addition of a baby girl.:beer:

sahin
11/16/2016, 11:32 AM
So I transferred over lot of my acros now. The tank is now almost 4 weeks old and acros that were transferred over are fine. No STN issues. I keep expecting some loss etc as the tank wasnt started with liverock and yet the most sensitive of SPS corals have been doing fine in the tank. :worried:

Here is what the sump looks like. Just a skimmer and Siporax/Matrix. My 2 year old was following me around trying to take photos with his own camera :lolspin:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1647_zpsgjn9aih9.jpg

Current FTS:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1657_zpsxcdmd8ex.jpg

Some corals will need to be moved and there are a couple of frags on the sand still. A couple of the blue pieces have started to colour up somewhat. Just hope the rest follow suit.

Looking through my YT channel I came across a video clip of my Red Planet:
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9T2-wRvtaBg?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope the corals look great once again. :uhoh3: - The 47G tank has been neglected due to being busy with family and the upgrade. I cant wait to see the health and colour return to the corals and they look as good as the Red Planet.

reefmutt
11/16/2016, 01:16 PM
Looking awesome, Sahin!
So happy to see that fts.
Can't wait to see it begin to grow in.

cFloor
11/16/2016, 01:44 PM
Wow! Well done sahin. Everything is looking amazing.

Rakie
11/16/2016, 01:53 PM
Yep, that FTS makes me immediately regret not getting 100% branch for my tank. The more I think about it, the more I see that branch is perfect for SPS tanks.. Especially because they don't block that ever-important flow.

And that sump looks sharp! Seeing that reminds me that unless someone sets up my system for me I'm always going to have wires and tubes looking unkempt lol

DiscusHeckel
11/16/2016, 02:46 PM
Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl Sahin.

Your tank looks awesome, not to mention your sump. Looking at the space available, do you think I can squeeze a Deltec kalkstirrer in there?

Are you using ATI hybrid or Pacific Sun to illuminate your tank?

DiscusHeckel
11/16/2016, 02:47 PM
Double post again. What is wrong with me? :deadhorse:

Usernam Invalid
11/16/2016, 06:14 PM
Congrats on the new addition to the family Sahin.

Can't wait to see this tank fill in.

stonecold
11/16/2016, 06:43 PM

Current FTS:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1657_zpsxcdmd8ex.jpg

Nice and tidy. :thumbsup:

markalot
11/16/2016, 09:21 PM
Looks fantastic! Nice, clean, and artistic.

Larger tank = less work IMO. Add Foxface, done. He even cleans the pumps when they are on slow mode for feeding. That and the Kole tang, hardest working fish in the tank. :D I swear without those two I would be overrun with algae.

cpllongjk
11/16/2016, 10:08 PM
Things are looking great! I really wish I could upgrade but currently there's just no room.

Your corals will grow and fill out very soon, no worries. I'm glad you went with ati hybrid because out of all the lights I've ever owned, I've been most happy with the ati hybrid, even with its known problems.

cpllongjk
11/16/2016, 10:09 PM
Congrats on the newest addition. Babies are a blessing!

biggles
11/17/2016, 03:16 AM
Congratulations Sahin, pleased to hear both your new babies are doing well mate, obviously you'll give her a :love1: from me :)

Knew you would like the compact Deltec skimmers, i have an older model 1455 which easily handles my 750L system with ruthless efficiency - and most importantly for me is it's very, very quiet. My head is 6ft from the skimmer when i go to bed as the display is beside the bedroom door..........

I really like your new scape and especially the acros down over the sand, nothing looks as cool as a table hovering 1" off a white sand bed :thumbsup:

# from Sahin's history with sneaky frag hiding it is possible he has a fifth child hidden somewhere in the house as we speak........

tmc1313
11/17/2016, 08:13 AM
Sweet! I think the overall layout and scaping is perfect. Great job, this is one thread I'll be looking for updates on. Really nice!

GSMclowns
11/17/2016, 10:09 AM
Hi Sahin,

few questions if you don't mind.
How do you like the new Deltec skimmer so far? I have been thinking about upgrading my skimmer from a EuroReef100 to something bigger but don't know which one to buy. My tank is a 120 gallons Display tank with a 40 gallons breeder sump.. So about 120 gallons total water volume.

Also are you using filter sock at all on your new system? Since you are using Siporax, is there any debris getting into those siporax? How often do you take those siporax out and shake them?

Thanks

JB NY
11/17/2016, 10:22 AM
The tank looks really great Sahin! lots of room for corals to grow, I am excited for you!

hbrochs
11/17/2016, 11:28 AM
Looks amazing Sahin!

I've been thinking about upgrading, but the new tank would go where the old tank is and the idea of moving the tank without killing everything is pretty scary. I like the idea of running both tanks for awhile together for a smoother transition. Could you explain how you moved the tank?

Thanks,

Howard

Sand Dollar
11/17/2016, 08:57 PM
Awesome Sahin! Love the scape, tidiness, and open look. The branch rock really looks great!

sahin
11/18/2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the nice compliments and for looking into the thread everyone. :)

Yep, that FTS makes me immediately regret not getting 100% branch for my tank. The more I think about it, the more I see that branch is perfect for SPS tanks.. Especially because they don't block that ever-important flow.

And that sump looks sharp! Seeing that reminds me that unless someone sets up my system for me I'm always going to have wires and tubes looking unkempt lol

I'll be honest I was against the Real Reef Rocks when they were first released. But since these days we dont get quality liverock to the UK anymore and my friends had used Real Reef Rocks without issues I decided to try it and so far I'm extremely happy with the rocks.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl Sahin.

Your tank looks awesome, not to mention your sump. Looking at the space available, do you think I can squeeze a Deltec kalkstirrer in there?

Are you using ATI hybrid or Pacific Sun to illuminate your tank?

Thank you Bulent. I actually changed the sump configuration around. I moved the two of the baffles and removed space from the skimmer compartment to make more space for the siporax/refugium section. I'd advise you take a look at this doc for the default sump compartment size: http://www.evolutionaqua.com/aquariums/assets/eareef---instruction-manual.pdf

Congratulations Sahin, pleased to hear both your new babies are doing well mate, obviously you'll give her a :love1: from me :)

Knew you would like the compact Deltec skimmers, i have an older model 1455 which easily handles my 750L system with ruthless efficiency - and most importantly for me is it's very, very quiet. My head is 6ft from the skimmer when i go to bed as the display is beside the bedroom door..........

I really like your new scape and especially the acros down over the sand, nothing looks as cool as a table hovering 1" off a white sand bed :thumbsup:

# from Sahin's history with sneaky frag hiding it is possible he has a fifth child hidden somewhere in the house as we speak........

Andrew, that Deltec better make my corals look as good as yours do mate. :hammer:

And as for a 5th baby...no chance. But I might have hidden acro frags in my tank. :p

Hi Sahin,

few questions if you don't mind.
How do you like the new Deltec skimmer so far? I have been thinking about upgrading my skimmer from a EuroReef100 to something bigger but don't know which one to buy. My tank is a 120 gallons Display tank with a 40 gallons breeder sump.. So about 120 gallons total water volume.

Also are you using filter sock at all on your new system? Since you are using Siporax, is there any debris getting into those siporax? How often do you take those siporax out and shake them?

Thanks

Hi, the Deltec skimmer is great. For the sake of trouble free operation for years I'd probably go with the AC version. I dont know...I'm still skeptical of DC pumps. Adam @ BattleCorals talks extremely highly of Deltec skimmers and sells them too. He also recommends the AC version of the skimmers. He knows his stuff and is a trustworthy guy. I ordered the Deltec skimmer after reading his posts.

For your size tank, I'd go with the same Deltec model that Biggles has in his tank. He's got the 1455 on a much larger system and probably the most colourful acros out there. I just feel the AC versions have more oomph in the pump.

With regards the Siporax: in the past I just dumped them in the sump. I used to shake them every month or two, but over time they did collect detritus as stuff used to settle over them.

This time round I made a crate to hold the siporax together neatly and spent time playing with Siporax like a kid...I mean stacking them neatly in the crate.

As here:

Water flow over/under/through them etc. Detritus now settles at the bottom. They will stay cleaner for much much longer now:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1711_zpslj4rbb3d.jpg

Looks amazing Sahin!

I've been thinking about upgrading, but the new tank would go where the old tank is and the idea of moving the tank without killing everything is pretty scary. I like the idea of running both tanks for awhile together for a smoother transition. Could you explain how you moved the tank?

Thanks,

Howard

Hi there. As you may know I had a tank choke full of SPS corals. And I was in your exact situation.

1. What I did was get loads of empty salt buckets ready (to hold most of tank and sump volume) as well as 15-20% new water change water ready.

2. You also need a couple of friends to assist.

3. Catch any large fish if possible prior to any of the work and place them in one of the buckets with old tank water.

4. Disconnect all electricals etc so as nothing will get in the way of moving tank across the room. This must be done before you start anything else.

5. Drain the sump completely and remove equipment that will reduce weight and is easy to put back eg skimmer/doser/dosing fluids etc.

6. Drain 95% of the water from the display. Allow time for LPS corals to expel water ie if they are on the rocks etc...do this by disturbing them gently before you remove the water at the level they are at. If you can place them on sand bed then do that prior to removing water. SPS will be fine. Clams etc can be disturbed so they shut.

7. Once most of the display and sump water is removed, this should reduce weight of the tank substantially making it easy to slowly slide the tank across the room. Dont push the tank from the top, but rather the force for moving should be applied to the bottom of the stand.

8. Take short breaks etc. Whilst two are taking breaks the third can gently squirt tank water at the acros/corals to keep them from drying up. Anyway, having wooden floors/laminate etc makes it easy to move the whole thing. Trying to slide a tank and stand on deep pile carpets is likely to be difficult and may even damage the integrity of the stand. Therefore please evaluate all variables before attempting anything.

9. Once the tank is across put all the water and any fish back and use the additional water you made up.

10. Hook up everything, hopefully it all goes well like it did for me. I had no issues at all. All my SPS were fine as well as my scoly etc.

Hope that helps.

Jim Z.
11/19/2016, 06:20 AM
Well done with family additions and new tank. How much space does your 4 l of Siporax take up in the sump? I might be able to add 1 to 2 liters of Siporax to my sump if there's enough room......................Jim

sahin
11/19/2016, 06:27 AM
Well done with family additions and new tank. How much space does your 4 l of Siporax take up in the sump? I might be able to add 1 to 2 liters of Siporax to my sump if there's enough room......................Jim

I've got 10litres Siporax and 4 litres Seachem Matrix. That section of the sump is around 18x12x8 and 10 litres takes up half the space.

martinphillip03
11/19/2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the update

Marty

ormet
11/21/2016, 11:05 AM
Hi Sahin loving the upgrade! Congrats to both new babies!

Can i ask you about your drains, how good are they at surface skimming?

I am debating Ghost overflow, CTC or using the same style as you are using for my new tank.

Best of luck!

vuqchu
11/21/2016, 02:52 PM
Congrats Sahin on the new addition to the family and new tank. That's one sleek looking system. I'm running a smaller Deltec now and like it a lot. Took a little bit of time to get it dialed in but now working great. DC pump doesn't seem to use a lot of power at all since I have it hooked up to an EB8 and it barely shows any wattage.

MrDaniel
11/21/2016, 05:25 PM
Awesome build so far. Do you have a complete fish list planned out yet?

sahin
11/22/2016, 04:34 AM
Hi Sahin loving the upgrade! Congrats to both new babies!

Can i ask you about your drains, how good are they at surface skimming?

I am debating Ghost overflow, CTC or using the same style as you are using for my new tank.

Best of luck!

Hi there buddy, thank you. The Oceanlife are decent. On my last tank I had one and had to play around with the pumps to get the flow right so that the surface is skimmed properly. I dont have this issue with the current tank whilst having two; maybe because the pumps were setup just right without me thinking about it and possibly because there are two.

However, if I had time and more funds I would have went with a Ghost overflow. My ideal overflow would be CTC; no question about it.

The main drawback with Oceanlife is the limit to the amount of water they can sustain. My Ecotech Vectra M1 can only be run at 45% maximum. I would have preferred to have a bit more.

I would therefore go with the Ghost or CTC and get herbie type plumbing for the ultimate speed and quietness.

There was noise in the sump. I had to play a round down there to quiet things up. Hope that helps you choose either ghost or CTC; it's what I would like. :D

Congrats Sahin on the new addition to the family and new tank. That's one sleek looking system. I'm running a smaller Deltec now and like it a lot. Took a little bit of time to get it dialed in but now working great. DC pump doesn't seem to use a lot of power at all since I have it hooked up to an EB8 and it barely shows any wattage.

Thank you buddy. I initially had the smaller Deltec for a couple of weeks and decided to swap due to the fact I was going to upgrade etc.

The smaller Deltec IMO has a better air/water ratio in the body of the skimmer. Mine is alright and skims great but could do with a bit more air.

Awesome build so far. Do you have a complete fish list planned out yet?

Thank you sir. For fish this is roughly what I have planned:

1. Regal Angel
2. Convict Tang
3. Flame Wrasse Pair
4. Orchid dottyback
5. Red Firefish
6. Longnose Hawkfish
7. Pair of Fairy Wrasse
8. Single Blue/Green Chromis - only because they are always out and good eaters; mine finishes off all bits of food in the water column.

Thats all I can think of so far. I may add some other small fish but the aim is to keep the bioload low-med.

Tank is doing well. SPS are encrusting nicely. On many pieces the new growth shows colour so all good signs.

gregkn73
11/23/2016, 12:28 AM
the aim is to keep the bioload low-med.

Hello Sahin, congratulations for the new baby. Your new scape is very beautiful. In your last tank, I thing that you were "fan" of high bioload ,combined with strong filtration and you were having fantastic results. Why did you decide to a lower bioload for this set up? Also what didn't you like at MH and you returned to T5?

sahin
11/23/2016, 04:01 AM
Hello Sahin, congratulations for the new baby. Your new scape is very beautiful. In your last tank, I thing that you were "fan" of high bioload ,combined with strong filtration and you were having fantastic results. Why did you decide to a lower bioload for this set up? Also what didn't you like at MH and you returned to T5?

With regards to the bioload, this is the first time I am relying solely on the Siporax/Matrix media (previously I had always used a decent amount of liverock). The branch rocks I have used are not porous at all. Additionally, and more importantly, I want to keep to the same amount of water changes I did on my last tank which was roughly 10% of old tank volume. What I hope is that by having a low-med bioload, I can rely on the filtration I have incorporated so far and just do 5% water changes per week and all will be well.

With regards to the lighting, I'd take 2x400w Radiums with LED/T5 as supplement over the tank any day; the shimmer is excellent and ability to colour up corals is just as good as T5. However, I cannot deal with the costs associated with the running of those lights and cooling the tank.

So its essentially circumstances dictating things rather than a change in preference.

gregkn73
11/23/2016, 05:50 AM
With regards to the bioload, this is the first time I am relying solely on the Siporax/Matrix media (previously I had always used a decent amount of liverock). The branch rocks I have used are not porous at all. Additionally, and more importantly, I want to keep to the same amount of water changes I did on my last tank which was roughly 10% of old tank volume. What I hope is that by having a low-med bioload, I can rely on the filtration I have incorporated so far and just do 5% water changes per week and all will be well.

With regards to the lighting, I'd take 2x400w Radiums with LED/T5 as supplement over the tank any day; the shimmer is excellent and ability to colour up corals is just as good as T5. However, I cannot deal with the costs associated with the running of those lights and cooling the tank.

So its essentially circumstances dictating things rather than a change in preference.
[emoji106]

sahin
12/05/2016, 03:20 PM
Quick video. Apologies for the blown highlights etc.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NDu5KdaE25M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Usernam Invalid
12/05/2016, 03:44 PM
Great video always love how clean a new tank looks

westreef
12/05/2016, 05:03 PM
Very nice artistic scape. So clean too. I love it.

reefmutt
12/05/2016, 06:00 PM
Wow, Sahin, that is a seriously gorgeous scape. Very sharp, beautiful flow and balance.
Love it!

DiscusHeckel
12/05/2016, 07:21 PM
Great video Sahin. Thanks for sharing.

Diesel3443
12/05/2016, 10:17 PM
Loving this new setup!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

this is me
12/06/2016, 09:23 AM
Simply beautiful!

markalot
12/06/2016, 09:25 AM
Very nice Sahin. Poor goni stuck in the back corner. :lmao:

Zacktosterone
12/06/2016, 11:38 AM
RIGHT ON just seen this. looking forward to the build. i just bought a tank with almost the same dimensions just a little longer 60"x24"x18".

do you have pictures of the light fixture??

cFloor
12/06/2016, 05:25 PM
Wonderful start to this new tank sahin. Gonna be a real stunner soon!

DML08
12/21/2016, 06:44 PM
well done Sahin!!! keep the updates coming.

tomae
12/21/2016, 08:18 PM
great layout. !

Sand Dollar
12/21/2016, 08:47 PM
Looking great Sahin! Lucky you, no algae. Sand bed, rock look pristine. Great scape as well:thumbsup:

Acronic
12/21/2016, 11:04 PM
Now this is what I like right here! Congratulations to you and your family!

This is going to be a good year for sps forum eye candy... I can feel it :D

mr9iron
12/22/2016, 12:35 AM
Another beautiful tank Sahin. I cannot wait to watch this one progress along.

gdemos
01/12/2017, 09:46 PM
I really like the branch scape and the openness it allows for growth. As my old music teacher said to me, it's the silence surrounding the notes that makes the music. Nicely done keep on growing!
-Greg

Rakie
01/12/2017, 10:01 PM
You're falling behind on your monthly update quota Sahin!

nova65ss
01/15/2017, 01:22 PM
Just found this thread congrats on that new baby girl!

Tank looks amazing as expected look forward to more!

Can I see how you hung the light?

reefmutt
01/15/2017, 05:29 PM
Hey Bump master!
Time for an update!! :)
I know you guys must be beside yourselves with business..

rmgaspar
01/16/2017, 03:12 AM
He is getting lazy with the pictures ... [emoji36]

codydemmel4
01/17/2017, 12:13 PM
very nice tank and I along with anyone else would appreciate an update with pictures :)

sahin
01/25/2017, 07:19 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates. Been so busy past few month its just crazy.

I've made a change to the tanks filtration in that I've decided to take Rui's advice and install a refugium into the sump. I've put chaetomorpha into the DIY algae filter compartment lit with 2x9watt 6500K LED's. Its growing rather well. The sump still has the 10 litres of Siporax and 4 litres of Seachem Matrix. The Cheato filter sits on top of the Siporax tray and is easily removable for cleaning etc.

Pic of Chaeto filter:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1777_zpsrp36hf2q.jpg

For lights I am running T5 only 50:50 Blue+:Coral+ No LED. The light fixture is just a temporary hydroponics cheap unit. Its like 1/10 price of units sold for this hobby but it works fine and corals are growing and colouring up alright considering tank has just reach 3 months.

FTS (apologies for frag rack etc...its a bit of a mess at the moment):
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1775_zpsuxqrmctz.jpg

Some coral shots:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1753_zpsnljxadtu.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1754_zpsvku9tjgf.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1760_zpspslqarvm.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1770_zpspwpugcni.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1755_zpsjcdyj6ud.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1761_zpsxlxui015.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1750_zpsyc3lx9kz.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1752_zpsj6mdwuli.jpg

sahin
01/25/2017, 07:22 PM
Just to note on my phone the green colouration looks too saturated but is fine on my laptop. Colours are otherwise fairly representative. Last pic also looks a bit saturated on my phone.

codydemmel4
01/25/2017, 07:34 PM
those are some great pictures. you have some very nice coral, i love it! I also love the minimal rock scape!

What is the coral on the frag rack? looks like a big colony, why do you have it on there?

Also your sump design looks so clean and nice.

reefmutt
01/25/2017, 08:06 PM
Very, very, nice, Sahin.
Coming along well.
What is that large green coral with the longish branch arms? Right above the photo of the soon to be awesome granulosa. Interesting coral.
Looking pretty damn good for a neglected tank!

rmgaspar
01/25/2017, 08:10 PM
My Friend ...

The Corals look AMAZING ...
Glad everything went the right way ...

As the tank matures you will really see the colours poping up.

Nice work!

All the best,
Rui

Usernam Invalid
01/25/2017, 08:17 PM
Looking good mate [emoji106] like the addition of the Fuge

Ucantwin
01/25/2017, 08:32 PM
I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to keep algae from growing all over the sump from running the chaeto light. I think I'm gonna try something like you have it.

abhishek@1985
01/25/2017, 08:59 PM
Sahin - Amazing tank to say the least. Love the aquascape and hope it turns out wayyy better than your previous masterpiece.

Got to ask you , with such high efficient filteration, how are you keeping nitrates enough for the sps ? Are you feeding anything at all like Amino acids or anything else for the sps ?

Regards,
Abhishek

justy
01/26/2017, 01:06 AM
Wow love the update this is going to be fantastic again!

Love following your thread, please keep the info coming.
As Abhishek says what is your nutrient regime?

Many thanks Justin.

Rakie
01/26/2017, 02:45 AM
Very nice update! Are you changing out your lighting? Did something happen, or did I miss something?

I could have sworn you were using a Halide light. Maybe not!

seachange
01/26/2017, 03:27 AM
Hi Sahin,

What is the reason behind adding the chaeto refugium?

tmc1313
01/26/2017, 07:33 AM
Great new start! Nice scape and solid foundation for these babies to grow out. I'll be looking forward to updates as this progresses. Really nice:thumbsup:

ReefKeeper64
01/26/2017, 07:56 AM
Another great looking sahin setup! Will have to tag along on this one.

Diesel3443
01/26/2017, 09:54 AM
Looking awesome!

drawman
01/26/2017, 10:02 AM
Looking great as always Sahin. I like the DIY fuge as well.

btb72
01/26/2017, 10:19 AM
What is the water compartment on the right side of your sump? Is that your top off water? Been trying to figure that out.

Rakie
01/26/2017, 01:28 PM
What is the water compartment on the right side of your sump? Is that your top off water? Been trying to figure that out.

Looks like dosing lines, reactor plumbing, and filter socks to me. That's where the photoshop reservoir is for Jason Fox's tank.

Piper27
01/26/2017, 07:30 PM
Looks like dosing lines, reactor plumbing, and filter socks to me. That's where the photoshop reservoir is for Jason Fox's tank.

Haha... Dagger!!!

Sahin, I am loving what you have done! Can't wait for things to grow in, it's going to be beautiful.

ReefKeeper64
01/26/2017, 10:03 PM
This time round I made a crate to hold the siporax together neatly and spent time playing with Siporax like a kid...I mean stacking them neatly in the crate.

As here:

Water flow over/under/through them etc. Detritus now settles at the bottom. They will stay cleaner for much much longer now:

Just curious, what is that oversized egg crate material used to make the Siporax container?

GSMclowns
01/27/2017, 09:04 AM
The Siporax you have is 25mm or 15mm?

thanks

sahin
01/27/2017, 12:17 PM
those are some great pictures. you have some very nice coral, i love it! I also love the minimal rock scape!

What is the coral on the frag rack? looks like a big colony, why do you have it on there?

Also your sump design looks so clean and nice.

Thank you. The coral on the rack is my Red Planet. There are two colonies on the rack. One I need to mount onto the rockwork and other is to be sold.

Very, very, nice, Sahin.
Coming along well.
What is that large green coral with the longish branch arms? Right above the photo of the soon to be awesome granulosa. Interesting coral.
Looking pretty damn good for a neglected tank!

Hi Matt, thanks for the compliment. That coral is some deepwater I picked up. As a frag it looked nothing special but as the colony has grown up its taken on this awesome shape and I love it for that. That granulosa is starting to look pretty good.

My Friend ...

The Corals look AMAZING ...
Glad everything went the right way ...

As the tank matures you will really see the colours poping up.

Nice work!

All the best,
Rui

Thanks my friend. I sure hope the corals look real nice in another 3 months and I've got a tank to be really proud of.

Looking good mate [emoji106] like the addition of the Fuge

Thank you.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to keep algae from growing all over the sump from running the chaeto light. I think I'm gonna try something like you have it.

Thanks. I like how the container is opaque so light doesnt grow stuff all over the sump. Whole thing can be removed for complete cleaning too.

Sahin - Amazing tank to say the least. Love the aquascape and hope it turns out wayyy better than your previous masterpiece.

Got to ask you , with such high efficient filteration, how are you keeping nitrates enough for the sps ? Are you feeding anything at all like Amino acids or anything else for the sps ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Thank you Abhishek. To be honest I havent measured either PO4 or NO3. I look at the corals and increase food for the fishes. At one point some corals were a bit pale when I had only a couple of fish. Within weeks of adding a small Convict Tang, they darkened up a bit. The beauty of siporax/matrix and an algae filter is that it responds to the available nutrients. On the other hand carbon dosing forces the system to react...and can lower nutrients too much. Providing I dont light the chaeto like mad I dont think it'll ever get to a point like with dosing organic carbon or running zeolite systems such as Zeovit and AquaForest.

I just carry out 5-10% w/c per week. And run a little GAC for a few days. Thats it. Skimmer/matrix/siporax and chaeto does all the rest of the work.

Wow love the update this is going to be fantastic again!

Love following your thread, please keep the info coming.
As Abhishek says what is your nutrient regime?

Many thanks Justin.

Thanks buddy.

Very nice update! Are you changing out your lighting? Did something happen, or did I miss something?

I could have sworn you were using a Halide light. Maybe not!

Haha, that was on the other tank. I had 400w Radium + T5 + LED over my 47G.

Hi Sahin,

What is the reason behind adding the chaeto refugium?

I want to keep a few more fish without having to resort to running GFO etc or dose organic carbon or stuff like zeolites (which I've done in the past). Those systems require fairly strict parameters. I also believe the chaeto does a good job of filtering the water.

Great new start! Nice scape and solid foundation for these babies to grow out. I'll be looking forward to updates as this progresses. Really nice:thumbsup:

Thank you.

Another great looking sahin setup! Will have to tag along on this one.

Thanks buddy. Gotta have a look at your tank thread.

Looking awesome!
Thanks.

Looking great as always Sahin. I like the DIY fuge as well.
Thank you. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Right side is the top off water section. It holds 25litres so it good for 7-8 days.

Yup to dosing lines. No reactor and no filter socks. That part is my in sump QT for new acros. I can treat AEFW infested corals and not worry about them spreading to my sump or display. I'll make a thread about it.

Haha... Dagger!!!

Sahin, I am loving what you have done! Can't wait for things to grow in, it's going to be beautiful.
Thanks.

LOL. Gotta say I've never seen anyone achieve the same level of SPS colours as JF with the pieces they buy off him...

As here:

Just curious, what is that oversized egg crate material used to make the Siporax container?

Those are pond type egg crate we have in most of our LFS here in the UK. Its easy to work with and doesnt leach stuff like the other lighting type ones.

The Siporax you have is 25mm or 15mm?

thanks

Its the larger 25mm version.

cpllongjk
01/27/2017, 02:06 PM
Sahin,

I am noticing the same thing on my smaller system. The fewer the fish I have the more I have to watch Nitrates so they don't dip too low. Once I upgrade the system I plan on dirtying up the water a bit more by adding more fish, probably more Chromis and maybe a Hawaiian wrasse. That will increase my nutrient load and allow me to feed more comfortably and reduce my dependence on dosing Nitrates. Plus, I get the added bonus of seeing more fish swimming in the tank.

Honestly, What I will probably do is increase the fish load slowly from my Quarantine tank so the nutrient load doesn't spike and it'll give the bacteria a chance to catch up. I will probably start with the Chromis and add one per week. I would love to have 7-9 schooling or shoaling Chromis in my 50g display. I've always wanted a Hawaiian Flame Wrasse and while I know it'll be cramped in a small tank, it should be fine as long as I make sure I feed it well.

What do you think?

DML08
01/27/2017, 07:32 PM
Well done Sahin, nice colors on your SPS!!..

Wrangy
01/28/2017, 03:40 AM
Craziness, pure and simple craziness Mr Sahin!! :inlove: :inlove:

I'm glad to see your tank doing so amazingly matey, it's just gorgeous!

carlosmos
01/29/2017, 12:26 AM
Hi Sahin,

Let me ask you, what's the reason to use siporax and matrix? Both have the same rule, right? I only use marine pure but I'm starting to use matrix to replace it, because I read some negative comments about it.

Chaeto can run without light? And what system do you use to avoid colapse the pump with chaeto little parts?

Thanks

Acronic
01/29/2017, 12:56 AM
Looks bangin'! Love the scape

Jos1965
01/29/2017, 01:59 AM
Looking awesome Sahin :inlove:

Jim Z.
01/29/2017, 07:49 AM
Hi Sahin,

Your new tank is coming along nicely. I'm slowly moving away from Zeovit and switching to Siporax. Simple is better for sure. Your acro colors are very nice too. Well done........Jim

jonnybravo22
01/29/2017, 09:45 PM
Looks awesome. Have you mentioned what you used for a cover. I have a rimless tank and would love to find a solution like you have.

markalot
01/31/2017, 08:05 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates. Been so busy past few month its just crazy.

I've made a change to the tanks filtration in that I've decided to take Rui's advice and install a refugium into the sump. I've put chaetomorpha into the DIY algae filter compartment lit with 2x9watt 6500K LED's. Its growing rather well. The sump still has the 10 litres of Siporax and 4 litres of Seachem Matrix. The Cheato filter sits on top of the Siporax tray and is easily removable for cleaning etc.

Pic of Chaeto filter:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1777_zpsrp36hf2q.jpg

For lights I am running T5 only 50:50 Blue+:Coral+ No LED. The light fixture is just a temporary hydroponics cheap unit. Its like 1/10 price of units sold for this hobby but it works fine and corals are growing and colouring up alright considering tank has just reach 3 months.

FTS (apologies for frag rack etc...its a bit of a mess at the moment):
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1775_zpsuxqrmctz.jpg

Some coral shots:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1753_zpsnljxadtu.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1754_zpsvku9tjgf.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1760_zpspslqarvm.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1770_zpspwpugcni.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1755_zpsjcdyj6ud.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1761_zpsxlxui015.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1750_zpsyc3lx9kz.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_1752_zpsj6mdwuli.jpg

Quoted for this page. Colors look fantastic to me Sahin, glad to see everything is moving along. I can't help but wonder if you'll need to remove the Chaeto at around 6 months to maintain nitrates. It ook my matrix about 6 months to do anything and then poof, nitrates all gone.

jonnybravo22
02/07/2017, 01:53 AM
Looks awesome. Have you mentioned what you used for a cover. I have a rimless tank and would love to find a solution like you have.

bump

codydemmel4
02/07/2017, 05:32 PM
have a couple questions.

how far off are your t5s from your top coral? also how long do you run all your lights for or whats your lighting run up and run down?

sahin
02/08/2017, 05:25 AM
Hi Sahin,

Let me ask you, what's the reason to use siporax and matrix? Both have the same rule, right? I only use marine pure but I'm starting to use matrix to replace it, because I read some negative comments about it.

Chaeto can run without light? And what system do you use to avoid colapse the pump with chaeto little parts?

Thanks

I bought Matrix as it was available. Then found Siporax and tried to sell Matrix. No one would buy it hence I just used both.

Chaeto needs light. I use 2x9watt 6500K LED bulbs. If the chaeto is lit well and growing small bits shouldnt break off. In any event you can see the photo I posted, the chaeto remains in the plastic container. It exits into first chamber. Any strands of chaeto will most likely get caught in the matric/siporax chamber. Even if they got into the final chamber, the Ecotech Vectra M1 has a grill cover. So I am not worried at all. Plus in the weeks that I've had the chaeto Ive not seen any strands in the display.

have a couple questions.

how far off are your t5s from your top coral? also how long do you run all your lights for or whats your lighting run up and run down?

Lights are only 6 inches above water line. This is only a cheap hydroponics T5 fixture. I run lights 9 hours a day (4x54watt).

bump

I use the mesh cover. http://www.simplyaquaria.co.uk/diy-tank-cover.html It in imported from USA and distributed in the UK.

If I missed any other questions, please bump the thread or PM me thanks.

selje
02/08/2017, 06:13 AM
Nice setup Sahin! How does the Siporax work for you? Have you noticed any difference with the siporax in the system? How often/should the siporax be cleaned? I'll try it myself in the restart of my system.

More pictures please :bounce1:

jonnybravo22
02/08/2017, 01:42 PM
I use the mesh cover. http://www.simplyaquaria.co.uk/diy-tank-cover.html It in imported from USA and distributed in the UK.

Thanks!

westreef
02/08/2017, 09:31 PM
Hi Sahin, nice and simple setup. Corals are coloring up real well. You seem to have a "colorful" thumb for corals. Very impressive!!!

Superpuma
02/09/2017, 05:35 AM
Hi Sahin
How are you rating the Deltec 1456? Seem to remember you having a BM NAC6 on a previous tank. Any major difference in performance of the two skimmers and what depth of water do you have the Deltec in?
Cheers
Mike

afernandez
02/09/2017, 06:16 AM
Looks AWSOME sahin! Corals look happy and healthy!

sahin
02/10/2017, 05:44 AM
Hi Sahin
How are you rating the Deltec 1456? Seem to remember you having a BM NAC6 on a previous tank. Any major difference in performance of the two skimmers and what depth of water do you have the Deltec in?
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike, the Deltec is a good skimmer. Cant really say that its significantly better than the BM NAC6; that skimmer was pretty good. As you may know most skimmers only remove about 30% of the organics so I dont believe there is that much difference between decently designed skimmers.

Looks AWSOME sahin! Corals look happy and healthy!

Thanks buddy.

maxxII
02/10/2017, 10:39 AM
This looks great Sahin.

Looking forward to watching this grow in.

tmc1313
02/16/2017, 03:28 PM
Sahin, what size bulkheads did you use for your overflows and how far down did you drill from the top edge of the tank?

mhucasey
02/27/2017, 06:21 PM
Tagging along for the new tank:)

Randy27
02/28/2017, 10:35 AM
Very clean! Loving the scape.

Jimmy james
03/10/2017, 03:34 AM
Hi Sahin,

Great tank. Very inspirational!
I'm going to set up my 4th tank shortly an EA 900s and probably use a pro sump to fit my nyos quantum 160 skimmer in.
I see you're dosing ATI essentials. I use the FM balling system currently. In your experience do you think the ATI system is better than the FM one? Also do you need to do the water changes with ATI essentials? As for the dosing do you hook it up to a dosing pump? Sorry for the questions but finally where did you get your red planet from? It's a beauty. Or do you sell frags?

Cheers Jim

shih87
03/10/2017, 07:17 AM
nice encrustation of all coral frags!!!

ReefKeeper64
03/18/2017, 10:00 AM
+1 on the bump!

biggles
03/19/2017, 03:55 AM
He's up to no good i tell ya................. how about you magnetically stir up an update before i really do my nut Sahin......... you know i will......:mad2:

reefmutt
03/20/2017, 12:07 PM
He's up to no good i tell ya................. how about you magnetically stir up an update before i really do my nut Sahin......... you know i will......:mad2:

Sahin, the Aussie sharks are beginning to circle.... they can be particularly sharp toothed, as you may know.. ;)
Just a friendly nudge..

sahin
03/21/2017, 11:52 AM
Hi Sahin,

Great tank. Very inspirational!
I'm going to set up my 4th tank shortly an EA 900s and probably use a pro sump to fit my nyos quantum 160 skimmer in.
I see you're dosing ATI essentials. I use the FM balling system currently. In your experience do you think the ATI system is better than the FM one? Also do you need to do the water changes with ATI essentials? As for the dosing do you hook it up to a dosing pump? Sorry for the questions but finally where did you get your red planet from? It's a beauty. Or do you sell frags?

Cheers Jim

Hi Jim. I cannot say yet whether the ATI Essentials is better than the FM system. But Brett has posted his tank thread here, you only need to look at the growth and colouration of his corals to know that the ATI system works as well as the FM and is cheaper.

My red planet I bought as a frag some 8 years ago. I have grown out several large 8inch plus colonies which I've sold off. I always have frags though.

Sahin, the Aussie sharks are beginning to circle.... they can be particularly sharp toothed, as you may know.. ;)
Just a friendly nudge..

LOL. I am battling a terrible diatom bloom. The bright white sand looks ugly. A friend who setup the same way as me also faced the same issue and an ICP test confirmed crazy amounts of silicates. Whether this is coming from Siporax or the type of sand we both used I'm not sure. Whatever the source is, and we dont think its our RODI water; its now gone in my friends tank after he used Sera Silicate remover for a week. I've done the same yesterday, so hopefully I'll post up an fts in a week or so.

biggles
03/22/2017, 12:19 AM
I wanted your opinion on this one Sahin since i know you're right up to speed on the latest whiz bang gadgets. I ordered a magnetic stirrer off Dave and this is what turned up. Dave swears it's a magnetic stirrer but a couple of things have me wondering if he hasn't pulled the wool over my eyes..........

1. Do you have to hook your stirrer up to the system water for it to work ?

2. Does your stirrer squirt stuff into the sump every now and then - i noticed the screen flashes 7.5 soon after the squirty thing happens and i assume it's the magnetic field strength reading ?

3. When i sit a reagent mixing tube on the top of it - nothing ever happens even though the bloody stirrer is making sounds as if it's doing something - it's a bloody dud isn't it..........:(

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/BigglesRC/a_zpsnzykwer1.jpg

sahin
03/22/2017, 09:05 AM
I wanted your opinion on this one Sahin since i know you're right up to speed on the latest whiz bang gadgets. I ordered a magnetic stirrer off Dave and this is what turned up. Dave swears it's a magnetic stirrer but a couple of things have me wondering if he hasn't pulled the wool over my eyes..........

1. Do you have to hook your stirrer up to the system water for it to work ?

2. Does your stirrer squirt stuff into the sump every now and then - i noticed the screen flashes 7.5 soon after the squirty thing happens and i assume it's the magnetic field strength reading ?

3. When i sit a reagent mixing tube on the top of it - nothing ever happens even though the bloody stirrer is making sounds as if it's doing something - it's a bloody dud isn't it..........:(

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/BigglesRC/a_zpsnzykwer1.jpg

You lucky man. Thats one heck of a magnetic stirrer. :beer: Automatic Alk monitor/doser AKA KH Guardian. Well, you know me too well. I'm getting one too. :lol: Hopefully I'll have it next week. Will be going away on holiday and such a device will come in handy.

Have you managed to get it setup yet (properly :lol: )? Looks complicated. :reading::reading::reading::reading:

PS...have you hacked into my paypal or something...such a crazy coincidence you should be posting about one of these and I'm getting it next week. Hmmm...

biggles
03/23/2017, 02:47 AM
You lucky man. Thats one heck of a magnetic stirrer. :beer: Automatic Alk monitor/doser AKA KH Guardian. Well, you know me too well. I'm getting one too. :lol: Hopefully I'll have it next week. Will be going away on holiday and such a device will come in handy.

Have you managed to get it setup yet (properly :lol: )? Looks complicated. :reading::reading::reading::reading:

PS...have you hacked into my paypal or something...such a crazy coincidence you should be posting about one of these and I'm getting it next week. Hmmm...

It's two grand and on Dave's acro holding system still lol......... i was just stirring you and now i find out you're bloody getting one for real lol.......:facepalm:

Let me know when you have it running if you want me to ask Dave anything, he thinks it's the duck's guts :thumbsup:

I was sorry to see what that gutless maggot did in your home town mate, i actually thought of you as soon as i saw the news report - keep yourself safe and keep your family safer my friend ;)

HuskerBioProf
03/23/2017, 06:42 AM
Really sleek tank and setup. Then, the aquascape and the acros really top it off.

Wrangy
04/10/2017, 01:55 AM
Sahin, I think we need to hear some updates :) How's the tank doing man??

markalot
04/29/2017, 05:23 PM
Sahin, come on now. It doesn't always have to be artsy fartsy good looking, give us an update!

biggles
05/01/2017, 03:00 AM
Remember back when you asked me to PM you any time i felt your disgusting laziness at replying to those who seem to have a genuine interest in your silly attempts to keep acros were getting upset with you.......... do you remember that Sahin ?

Well, i am getting the distinct feeling that the time to PM you is fast approaching mate............. :twitch:

This will get out of control Sahin, it will get out of control and reefers will get slagged............. you to be exact ! :mad2:

martinphillip03
05/06/2017, 06:04 PM
Biggles has no idea these frags have left Australia. His loss is your gain! https://www.facebook.com/sustainablereef/?hc_ref=SEARCH

Marty

cobra2326
05/09/2017, 08:29 AM
Hi Sahin,

Amazing tank you have there! How did you decide how much media (siporax and matrix) would be needed for biological filtration?

kainic
06/14/2017, 08:26 AM
Too long since your last update.

Did you get your KH guardian? If so, how is it doing?

martinphillip03
06/14/2017, 03:13 PM
It has been almost 3 months since your last post. I really hope your tanks ok.

Marty

slavetonet
06/14/2017, 04:35 PM
It has been almost 3 months since your last post. I really hope your tanks ok.

Marty

Hi Marty,
I believe Sahin is busy with work and kids.

Wrangy
06/14/2017, 04:42 PM
Not too busy to be on Facebook all the time :lol: would love to hear an update Sahin :) I hope it's all going well matey :)

Wrangy
07/29/2017, 05:23 PM
Saaaahhhhiiiinnnnn, I know you were online a few days ago :) I'm going to get everyone to bump this till you're sick of us and HAVE to update it :lol:

DiscusHeckel
07/29/2017, 05:41 PM
Sahin is away on vacation for several weeks.

Wrangy
07/29/2017, 09:03 PM
Sahin is away on vacation for several weeks.
What about before he left? :P haha I'm just teasing him lol

Narzyzz12
11/02/2017, 09:07 AM
Bump it's been 7 months since the last update

sahin
11/06/2017, 06:35 AM
Bump it's been 7 months since the last update

I would have updated a while back...but after I went on holiday, I came back to an almost dying tank. I was away for around 4 weeks and not sure what happened exactly...tank was covered in Dinos...Most of the acros lacked PE, SPS all had "dry looking" tissue and some SPS even stripped. All the SPS were severely browned out too.

I spent the past few months battling Dinos. I've tried raised pH, 3 day dark outs, Fauna Marin DinoX, dosing yeast...none of this worked.

The amount of corals I've lost in the past few months is much more than what I've lost in the years prior so its pretty frustrating.

Apart from the Dinos, I managed to turn the tank around generally with health of some colour returning on the acros.

However, this week the Dinos seemed to have upped a few gears and I've lost a few acros and Dinos have turned crazy. Its mostly on the sandbed so over the weekend I've removed 60% of the sand. Will remove the rest during the week. Removing the sand has helped in the past.

I might stick to bare bottomed tank for a while.

Geeray
11/06/2017, 06:59 AM
I would have updated a while back...but after I went on holiday, I came back to an almost dying tank. I was away for around 4 weeks and not sure what happened exactly...tank was covered in Dinos...Most of the acros lacked PE, SPS all had "dry looking" tissue and some SPS even stripped. All the SPS were severely browned out too.

I spent the past few months battling Dinos. I've tried raised pH, 3 day dark outs, Fauna Marin DinoX, dosing yeast...none of this worked.

The amount of corals I've lost in the past few months is much more than what I've lost in the years prior so its pretty frustrating.

Apart from the Dinos, I managed to turn the tank around generally with health of some colour returning on the acros.

However, this week the Dinos seemed to have upped a few gears and I've lost a few acros and Dinos have turned crazy. Its mostly on the sandbed so over the weekend I've removed 60% of the sand. Will remove the rest during the week. Removing the sand has helped in the past.

Well that really sucks! Hopefully removing the sand helps.

reefmutt
11/06/2017, 07:01 AM
Ugh!! Sorry to hear Sahin. This hobby... sometimes it goes so smooth and other times, it’s just hell.
Hope your family is wild, crazy and good!

Zacktosterone
11/06/2017, 08:53 AM

I've always had luck fighting dino. And I've went to battle with it in 4 different tanks. This is what I do

Clean out as much as possible before treatment including Turkey baster and net

Take out all carbon and gfo

Dose dino x for slightly more than the dose calls for 20% more but for 21 days

Cover the tank is cardboard or plastic bags

Black out for FIVE FULL DAYS

Turn lights on for 4 hours a day for the 21 days making sure that's all the light the tank gets including fuge and ambient light keep it wrapped if you have to.

On the last day I dose a healthy portion of chemi clean.

Then do a 50% water change 48 hours later while blacking out the tank again in that time.

Works 100% of the time every time. Then lights are back to full schedule. The chemi clean at the end is key... Because of you look at the dino under the microscope, they sometimes grow with the cyano bacteria.

Then add all your stuff back. Like your carbon gfo and dosing

birdman1979
11/06/2017, 08:50 PM
A quality UV sterilizer works within days. Zaps them at night when they go free swimming. I've had good luck with the Pentair products and go with 1 watt per gallon of display volume. Dramatic results overnight. Good luck. Dinos almost ruined 25 years of reef keeping until I put a UV on my return line. Still get cyano but no Dinos since.

rtparty
11/06/2017, 11:10 PM
Sorry to hear about the dinos. I too am fighting them currently. The standard methods don't actually work for most. Need to up your nutrients and get a UV sterilizer going.

I'd post a link to my thread on the other forum but it's not allowed. Message me if you want more info!

Wrangy
11/07/2017, 01:23 AM
I think it must be the reefing full moon at the moment!! Seems to be a few issues going around in a few different tanks!

I know you'll bounce the tank back again matey :)

sahin
11/07/2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the tips and messages. Removing more than half the sandbed has helped. Dinos have reduced dramatically. They still persist on the remaining sand areas. I aim to remove the rest of the sand tonight.

Zack, I almost did what you describe...ie dosing Chemiclean etc...I too noticed some Cyano alongside the Dinos. However, I didn't do the 5 days full black out. I'm going to finish off trying the sandbed removal...BTW the amount of crap in the shallow SB is crazy...yuck. If this doesn't work, I'll allow the corals some time to recover and then follow your method but also adding a good UV unit.

Zacktosterone
11/07/2017, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the tips and messages. Removing more than half the sandbed has helped. Dinos have reduced dramatically. They still persist on the remaining sand areas. I aim to remove the rest of the sand tonight.

Zack, I almost did what you describe...ie dosing Chemiclean etc...I too noticed some Cyano alongside the Dinos. However, I didn't do the 5 days full black out. I'm going to finish off trying the sandbed removal...BTW the amount of crap in the shallow SB is crazy...yuck. If this doesn't work, I'll allow the corals some time to recover and then follow your method but also adding a good UV unit.

That 5 days is crtical... That full blackout with the cardboard is critical too. You'll notice that you won as soon as you take it off and the dino turned white

glaukos
11/07/2017, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure removing sand will help a lot buddy.Best of luck.
SSB indeed holds a lot more crap that someone would expect.

Will be waiting for some great news:beer:

MichaelW
11/09/2017, 12:26 AM
I have been at war with the same **** for over a year. It basically wiped out the whole tank at one point. I did blackout for weeks... No good they came back. They grow in my sump with no light so.... Tried h202.... Came back... Tried going really dirty...... Tried going really clean. ...
Right now they are not too bad.... But still there and it seems like they will just bloom up again at any time really.
If you dont have much in the tank i would almost just bleach it all and start over..... If it wasnt for my stupid fish i would probably do this.

Big E
11/09/2017, 04:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems sahin.

Your reboots/new starts are always a notch above, so I'm sure you'll come back stronger than ever.

ReefKeeper64
11/09/2017, 05:34 AM
Sorry to hear about this turn of events. Have you considered ozone or are you by chance running ozone already? I ask because I used to have dino issues myself. That problem stopped as soon as I started using an ozone generator. The ozone strips all dinoflagellate spores that live in the water column.

I also use a geosreef ozone reactor, ORP probe, and controller in conjunction with. This is an effective method to eliminate dinos.

Zacktosterone
11/09/2017, 07:10 AM
You shouldn't consider restarting..... You'll just get it again.... And for what?

Ucantwin
11/09/2017, 07:38 AM
I don't think ozone is 100% effective against dinos. D2mini ran ozone on his tank and he still got dinos that he could not get rid of.

ReefKeeper64
11/11/2017, 01:36 AM
I don't think ozone is 100% effective against dinos. D2mini ran ozone on his tank and he still got dinos that he could not get rid of.

Keep in mind that not much of anything in this hobby is 100% effective. Hobbiests have bad experiences with good methods often. Take calcium reactors for example but there are dozens more. At the orp level I run, and for the number of hours a day I run it, I have found ozone to be indeed effective. I used to have dino issues prior and they disappeared soon after. That’s just an observation but it’s one experienced by several. UV is also proven effective against dinos.