PDA

View Full Version : Avast Marine Kalk Stirrer

Ajae
09/25/2016, 03:55 PM
Has anyone tried one of these, says the K1 is rated for 400 gallons. I'll be using this for my 210.

http://www.avastmarine.com/products/kalk-stirrervariant=1812352643#shopify-product-reviews

Ajae
09/25/2016, 03:56 PM
try this link:
http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/kalk-stirrer

Bent
09/26/2016, 06:17 AM
I've got one. I got it off the "you built" section. It was pretty easy, except:

Don't. Glue. The. Lid.

Lol. It's difficult to use when the lid won't come off.

shiftline
02/02/2017, 01:39 AM
How do you like the K1? I was debating getting one

How quiet/loud is the motor? Do you stir 24/7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sk8r
02/02/2017, 10:55 AM
Honestly, you only need to stir kalk once, period: as much dissolves as can dissolve. Ever. If you have room for a reservoir large enough to supply your tank for a week or more, you don't need a stirrer: just dump the kalk in, stir once, and stir every time you add water to the reservoir. Only 2 tsp per gallon are able to dissolve in ro/di.

shiftline
02/02/2017, 04:39 PM
Isn't the whole point of the reactor to let you add RO and dose the kalk water constantly? (Mixes every few hours to saturate the fresh water pumped in as the saturated water flows out?)

At least That is my novice understanding of how it works

ca1ore
02/02/2017, 05:14 PM
I've got one. I got it off the "you built" section. It was pretty easy, except:

Don't. Glue. The. Lid.

Lol. It's difficult to use when the lid won't come off.

I remember that .... always gives me a chuckle because it's exactly the kind of thing I'd do :)

Otherwise it's a really nice unit. I tried all sorts of DIY monstrosities before giving up and spending the $$ to have it done right.

thewbell
02/03/2017, 08:43 AM
I also built my Avast Stirrer and have had great luck with it. I wanted to ditch my separate ATO container and feed my ATO from my mixing station and using a Kalk reactor was the best option to allow me to do that. Now I have ~35 gallons of RODI for topoff and never have to mix or measure Kalk. I leave the stirrer on 24/7 (no room on my EB8 and I didn't want a separate timer) and never hear it and have not had any issues in the year since I got it even after the entire unit went underwater in a house flood.

shiftline
02/03/2017, 11:30 PM
Hha. Nice! Well I'm making a diy one but I may splurge for the K1 since I hear that it's silent :)

Potatohead
02/03/2017, 11:43 PM
Isn't the whole point of the reactor to let you add RO and dose the kalk water constantly? (Mixes every few hours to saturate the fresh water pumped in as the saturated water flows out?)

At least That is my novice understanding of how it works

The point of the reactor is two fold;

One, you can simply add a bunch of kalk (a cup or so) and don't have to worry about it again for a while, just put in some kalk every few weeks. By stirring every few hours you keep the water in the reactor at full concentration, then when your pump kicks on you are dosing that into the tank. It's simply less work than mixing in your top off water and ensures full concentration.

Two, you can now run pure RO through your pump (typically an aqualifter or the Avast diaphragm pump) and it will last far longer than if you are running kalkwasser through it.

shiftline
02/04/2017, 01:15 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

My only real concern is if should mess with my calcium Reactor by adding kalk. Parameters are finally pretty stable aside from low pH

Portsie
02/04/2017, 08:45 AM
Anyone have this hooked up to a tunze ato?

Sk8r
02/04/2017, 04:40 PM
The kalk is always at full concentration no matter whether from a reactor or a passive tub stirred once on original water addition. Only 2 teaspoons a gallon of kalk CAN dissolve in ro/di water, but since it readily dissolves so far as it can, one stir is all it ever needs.

The principle use for a reactor is where you are cramped for space and also don't want to have to rebuy pumps because of the corrosion of the impeller in kalked water. This separates the pump from the kalk mix. OTOH, I've been using the same Eheim pump in a kalk bin for 2 years with no problem. Maxijiets unfortunately underwent a design change that doomed them as kalk pumps. The impeller will be toast in a couple of weeks. So it depends greatly on the size and layout of your system.

shiftline
02/04/2017, 07:07 PM
How about a 100g ish display with a calcium reactor
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170205/8b2707bc0fe4d75303432675770c0491.jpg