PDA

View Full Version : Algae on SPS

malx
09/25/2016, 05:43 PM
Hi, All.

I have a beautiful chunk of Pavona Cactus SPS and it's growing an alarming amount of brown algae on it. It's not terrible, but I know if I don't handle it soon I'll lose the piece.

So far I've moved it in a lower flow area because I hear sometimes when it's in direct line of a pump or overflow it can grow algae. I run Zeovit so my nitrates and phosphates are 0 and I feed a lot including BRS Reef Chili once daily. I am considering taking a toothbrush and lightly brushing it off.

Let me know if anyone has experienced this and what they recommend.

Thanks,
Joey

bertoni
09/25/2016, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems.

I probably would use something softer than a toothbrush. I might try some of the thin, disposable gloves and rub the coral very gently if need be.

Does the tank have any activated carbon in it? You might be able to control some of the organics temporarily with some carbon, although that'd be expensive over the long haul.

malx
09/26/2016, 12:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems.

I probably would use something softer than a toothbrush. I might try some of the thin, disposable gloves and rub the coral very gently if need be.

Does the tank have any activated carbon in it? You might be able to control some of the organics temporarily with some carbon, although that'd be expensive over the long haul.

I'm running carbon yes. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertoni
09/26/2016, 06:21 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!