PDA

View Full Version : Twin spot Gobys

johnike
09/26/2016, 06:55 AM
Love these guys.
These 2 are in the 93 cube, and there's one more in the lagoon.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah4/johnike/twinspots_zpszsoww67e.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/johnike/media/twinspots_zpszsoww67e.jpg.html)

Nina51
09/26/2016, 07:08 AM
they are so cute! how do you tell them apart? or do you? or why would you need to?

johnike
09/26/2016, 07:11 AM
they are so cute! how do you tell them apart? or do you? or why would you need to?

I got these from a tank at the LFS that had 6 or 7 in it, and these 2 were by themselves away from the others.
And good morning Toots!

:wavehand:

Nina51
09/26/2016, 09:50 AM
morning, johnmysweet. i have my little tailless orange spotted goby that is my oldest fish. could i add another goby like these or would that be problematic?

GimpyFin
09/26/2016, 10:10 AM
That's awesome John, especially a pair of them like that. Had one for quite a while in my old 93 cube and they're fun to watch hover along the sandbed. Kinda makes me want to get another one now. Those look pretty healthy so I assume they're eating pretty good for you? Mine mostly fed from the sand bed, but I would sometimes put some little piles of Reef Nutrition ROE on the bottom and he'd scoop that up too.

pinnatus
09/26/2016, 10:11 AM
So are they twin spot-gobies or twin-spot gobies? Or twin twin-spot gobies?

johnike
09/26/2016, 11:30 AM
morning, johnmysweet. i have my little tailless orange spotted goby that is my oldest fish. could i add another goby like these or would that be problematic?

Absolutey, these are sand bed dwellers that are ignored by about anything.
Just need pods to graze on, and you have that.

That's awesome John, especially a pair of them like that. Had one for quite a while in my old 93 cube and they're fun to watch hover along the sandbed. Kinda makes me want to get another one now. Those look pretty healthy so I assume they're eating pretty good for you? Mine mostly fed from the sand bed, but I would sometimes put some little piles of Reef Nutrition ROE on the bottom and he'd scoop that up too.

Eating like mad, I have an incredible pod population, the total system volume is 300 gallons with a 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump with Chaeto full of stuff.

So are they twin spot-gobies or twin-spot gobies? Or twin twin-spot gobies?

Twinspot Gobies.
:wave:

mountainraised
09/26/2016, 12:40 PM
How big are yours? And how big are they expected to get with a healthy pod population?

johnike
09/26/2016, 01:11 PM
How big are yours? And how big are they expected to get with a healthy pod population?

About 2 1/4" or so I suppose. Never seen one bigger than 3".

Cliving1
09/26/2016, 03:43 PM
I heard they are very hard to keep..any suggestions? Always very interested in technique and I see posts now and then about people wanting to keep them. Great job they look awesome!

johnike
09/26/2016, 04:00 PM
I heard they are very hard to keep..any suggestions? Always very interested in technique and I see posts now and then about people wanting to keep them. Great job they look awesome!

Same as keeping a Mandarin as far as I'm concerned, need a constant supply of pods to graze on as they're constantly picking through the sand.
And thanks.

Cliving1
09/26/2016, 05:55 PM
Ah.. thats interesting. Thanks for sharing. Also cool to see a pair!

ThRoewer
09/26/2016, 06:54 PM
Did they already start breeding? These guys produce one fully developed baby goby per clutch. The best thing is that you don't need to do anything - they do all the work for you.
The tricky part is to get them fat enough so that they start breeding.

Kremis
09/26/2016, 07:52 PM
There might not be enough pods for them long term, but I have never kept them. If they stick to the sand bed, there might not be enough. From what I have heard, they NEVER eat in captivity. Correct me if i am wrong though. Good luck though, and I have never heard of them being bred in captivity.

Rakie
09/26/2016, 08:11 PM
From what I have heard, they NEVER eat in captivity. Correct me if i am wrong though.

I correct you, you are wrong.

Archer quotes aside -- BRS has a pair that eats pretty healthy and have put on a lot of weight and size. They just spot feed them with Julians thing if I remember correctly (It's on their videos, they've said they hear the same bunk but they're quite happy and thriving)

ThRoewer
09/27/2016, 12:47 AM
I do not think these guys are picky eaters or highly specialized on certain pods. They are just specialized on where they find their food - filter it out of the sand.
So the tricky part is to load up the sand with whatever you want to feed them.

Another issue with them may be intestinal parasites, so a proper deworming is highly advised.

johnike
09/27/2016, 03:40 AM
There might not be enough pods for them long term, but I have never kept them. If they stick to the sand bed, there might not be enough. From what I have heard, they NEVER eat in captivity. Correct me if i am wrong though. Good luck though, and I have never heard of them being bred in captivity.

They eat like little pigs. The one in the lagoon attached to this system has been with me for close to 2 years now, it must be eating something. More pods in the system than they could ever deplete.
As far as breeding, cool info. Never read that, thanks.

johnike
09/27/2016, 07:10 AM
Did they already start breeding? These guys produce one fully developed baby goby per clutch.

What?

Rybren
09/27/2016, 07:46 AM
He said

These guys produce one fully developed baby goby per clutch.

You're welcome.

:wavehand:

morning John.

johnike
09/27/2016, 08:07 AM
Morning Jerry!
I believe I'm being Lounged out here.
;)
:)

ThRoewer
09/27/2016, 11:07 AM
What?
Yes, from what I found on these they build a cave and lay a bunch of eggs into it. Then the male locks itself in with the eggs for a few days. After a couple of days he comes out for good and closes the cave from the outside. About 2 to 3 weeks later a single fully developed juvenile goby breaks out of the cave. It is suspected that the baby gobies feed cannibalistic on their siblings until only one is left.
The parents set up multiple breeding caves and produce about one baby fish per week.
I need see if I can find the original article somewhere.

While this reproduction method seems ineffective and slow, it is possibly one of the more effective strategies among reef associated fish.
Their initial success rate is much higher than that of clownfish and for sure better than pelagic spawners as most larva of those end up being food for someone else.
So these guys are actually quite smart in rather producing just one guaranteed baby per clutch than producing food for others without a certain success rate.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

johnike
09/27/2016, 12:49 PM
Yes, from what I found on these they build a cave and lay a bunch of eggs into it. Then the male locks itself in with the eggs for a few days. After a couple of days he comes out for good and closes the cave from the outside. About 2 to 3 weeks later a single fully developed juvenile goby breaks out of the cave. It is suspected that the baby gobies feed cannibalistic on their siblings until only one is left.
The parents set up multiple breeding caves and produce about one baby fish per week.
I need see if I can find the original article somewhere.

While this reproduction method seems ineffective and slow, it is possibly one of the more effective strategies among reef associated fish.
Their initial success rate is much higher than that of clownfish and for sure better than pelagic spawners as most larva of those end up being food for someone else.
So these guys are actually quite smart in rather producing just one guaranteed baby per clutch than producing food for others without a certain success rate.

That'd be cool, I'd love to read it. Thanks.

Dkuhlmann
09/27/2016, 04:52 PM
WOW, I'd love to read it as well!

juniorrocketdad
09/27/2016, 05:22 PM
I love these fish, nice pair

ThRoewer
09/27/2016, 07:51 PM
Preliminary Observations on the Behaviour of the Gobiid Fish Signigobius biocellatus Hoese and Allen, with Particular Reference to its Burrowing Behaviour (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0310.1977.tb00069.x/abstract)

Abstract

Preliminary observations on the behaviour of the coral reef goby Signigobius biocellatus (Hoese and Allen) have been made using scuba equipment. The paper describes observations on the curious and striking feeding and locomotory behaviours, as well as the extensive burrowing activities and reproductive biology of this fish. The characteristic movements are discussed in connection with the conspicuous false-eyes and markings on the fish. Burrowing activities and reproductive pattern are directly linked.

Zusammenfassung

Freß-, Grabe-, Fortbewegungs- und Fortpflanzungsverhalten der Meergrundel Signigobius biocellatus werden beschrieben. Der Fisch lebt in Paaren in der Korallengeröll-Zone am Riffrand. Die Augenflecke auf den Rückenflossen werden bei der typischen sprungartigen Fortbewegung gezeigt; sie dienen wohl als inner- wie zwischenartliche Signale. Das Höhlengraben gehört zum Fortpflanzungsverhalten. Der in der Höhle abgesetzte Laich wird dort die ersten 2–3 Tage nach dem Laichen vom ♂ bewacht, das in der verschlossenen Höhle bleibt, außer wenn das ♀ sie öffnet. ♂ und ♀ säubern ab und zu das Gelege, dann wird das ♂ wieder eingeschlossen. Nach 3 Tagen verlassen die Eltern die verschlossene Höhle, in der sich die Brut fertig entwickelt. Ein Paar hütet bis zu 6 Höhlen mit verschieden alter Brut. Aus jeder kommt, wenn die Eltern sie zum letzten Mai öffnen, nur 1 Jungfisch, der einzige Überlebende dieses Geleges.

ThRoewer
09/27/2016, 08:02 PM
So, they actually produce a nest every 2 to 3 days.

johnike
09/28/2016, 05:19 AM
You're lucky I can read German. ;)
Thanks.

pinnatus
09/28/2016, 07:04 AM
Preliminary Observations on the Behaviour of the Gobiid Fish Signigobius biocellatus Hoese and Allen, with Particular Reference to its Burrowing Behaviour (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0310.1977.tb00069.x/abstract)

Abstract

Preliminary observations on the behaviour of the coral reef goby Signigobius biocellatus (Hoese and Allen) have been made using scuba equipment. The paper describes observations on the curious and striking feeding and locomotory behaviours, as well as the extensive burrowing activities and reproductive biology of this fish. The characteristic movements are discussed in connection with the conspicuous false-eyes and markings on the fish. Burrowing activities and reproductive pattern are directly linked.

Zusammenfassung

Freß-, Grabe-, Fortbewegungs- und Fortpflanzungsverhalten der Meergrundel Signigobius biocellatus werden beschrieben. Der Fisch lebt in Paaren in der Korallengeröll-Zone am Riffrand. Die Augenflecke auf den Rückenflossen werden bei der typischen sprungartigen Fortbewegung gezeigt; sie dienen wohl als inner- wie zwischenartliche Signale. Das Höhlengraben gehört zum Fortpflanzungsverhalten. Der in der Höhle abgesetzte Laich wird dort die ersten 2–3 Tage nach dem Laichen vom ♂ bewacht, das in der verschlossenen Höhle bleibt, außer wenn das ♀ sie öffnet. ♂ und ♀ säubern ab und zu das Gelege, dann wird das ♂ wieder eingeschlossen. Nach 3 Tagen verlassen die Eltern die verschlossene Höhle, in der sich die Brut fertig entwickelt. Ein Paar hütet bis zu 6 Höhlen mit verschieden alter Brut. Aus jeder kommt, wenn die Eltern sie zum letzten Mai öffnen, nur 1 Jungfisch, der einzige Überlebende dieses Geleges.

Summary

Scuffing, Grabe-, locomotion and reproductive behavior of goby Signigobius biocellatus be described. The fish lives in pairs in the coral rubble zone at Riffrand. The eyespots on the dorsal fins are shown in the typical sudden movement; they serve as well as within the interspecies signals. The cave ditch belongs to reproductive behavior. The settled in the cave spawning is there guarding the first 2-3 days after spawning the ♂ that remains in the closed cavity, unless the ♀ opens. ♂ and ♀ clean now and then the eggs, then the ♂ is again included. After 3 days, the parents leave the sealed cave in which the breeding finished evolving. A pair of guards up to 6 different caves with ancient breed. From everyone comes when parents they open for the last time, only 1 juvenile, the only survivor of this scrim

Breadman03
09/28/2016, 07:24 AM
Ah, the glory of Google translate!

Unfortunately, I don't have a Wiley subscription. :(

ThRoewer
09/28/2016, 12:00 PM
This is one of the fish on my bucket list, though they probably need their own species tank with a muddy sand bottom.

johnike
09/28/2016, 12:44 PM
They get along fine with other peaceful Gobies.
Yashas, Hi Fins, Randalls, Rainfords, etc...
A nice sand bed is fine as long as the pod population is there.

I kept a pair long term years ago.