PDA

View Full Version : New T Max holding on to large substraite

Wazzel
09/26/2016, 02:57 PM
I just picked up a new T. Max. The LFS had them in a bin with really large substrate. My clam picked up one of the rods. I gave a light tug to see if it would leg go but it did not. Should I be concerned? Will it absorb it over time or should I figure a way to get it gone? It might have been reactor media since it was is a rod roughly 1/4" in diameter and 1" long.

AboutAcans
10/12/2016, 06:46 PM
It's holding on because it wants to. Unless what it's holding on to is going to affect your water chemistry, I wouldn't worry about it. If it bothers you that much hopefully you know the general rule is to use a fine razor and just cut the threads as close to what it's connected to without pulling.

SS_Sean
10/26/2016, 03:38 PM
My clam picked up one of the rods. I gave a light tug to see if it would leg go but it did not. .

Please stop and research now before you hurt the creature.:hmm5:

MondoBongo
10/28/2016, 07:18 AM
it will not absorb over time.

it is possible the clam may release of its own accord, or it might not.

if you really, really want to remove it from the piece there's a couple things you can try. AboutAcans already noted cutting (the threads, not the foot, that's an important distinction that bears repeating), but there are some other less invasive ways to detach them, especially if you're able to move/remove them from the water.

one that i used to exceptionally great effect was suggested by moliken way back was taking some saltwater, freezing it, and then crushing it up. remove the clam and the thing it is attached to from the water, and gently pack the ice around the foot area. this should irritate the clam in to releasing fairly quickly.

another way is to place it and whatever it is attached to in the path of a powerhead. not enough to flow hurt it, you don't want it getting blasted, but just enough to encourage it in to thinking that this might not be the best spot for it. which should again coerce it in to gently letting go.

of course, if it's a problem you can always just leave it attached. it won't do any harm other than maybe looking a bit unsightly.

Wazzel
11/14/2016, 02:21 PM
I just left it in place. The clam has attached to the clam cradle I set it in and looks like the "whatever it is" does not bother it.

As a precaution I did not mess with it after the one time I lightly tugged on it. Was not interested in damaging the clam.