PDA

View Full Version : 10 Gallon Sump Plans

Nick30G
09/26/2016, 03:25 PM
Hi Reef Central,
Im currently in the process of planning a 10 gallon sump for my future 30 gallon tank. I need to know if the plans I have made or not are any good. http://imgur.com/a/gaMCd I made this, it has no baffles because a few people have been telling me not to put baffles in because it takes up too much space. Here is plans someone made on youtube with multiple baffles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEVw2eVavvg . One problem with this is that I would need a ATO which Im not willing to purchase because the budget is tight, I need a constant water level for my skimmer to operate. So should I go with a baffleless sump, or should I go with a sump with a few baffles and maybe a bubble trap to keep a constant water level for my skimmer? In my refrigium I want Marco algae/Chateo and live rock rubble. Problem is with that many baffles space is limited possibly in the refrigium. I hope you guys can answer my questions, you guys have been very helpful to me to far.

major stare
09/26/2016, 03:30 PM
Make it a 2 compartment sump.
Inlet with skimmer, over/under baffle to return pump and baffles at the correct height for the skimmer, mount heater in either section, carbon bag in return pump side.
Fit a small P04 reactor and pump in either compartment. I wouldnt bother with a refugium that will also require a light.

Can you spare a 3" wide section for an RO top up chamber? An ATU pump and sensor can be purchased quite cheaply.

Nick30G
09/26/2016, 03:36 PM
Make it a 2 compartment sump.
Inlet with skimmer, over/under baffle to return pump and baffles at the correct height for the skimmer, mount heater in either section, carbon bag in return pump side.
Fit a small P04 reactor and pump in either compartment. I would bother with a refugium that will also require a light.

Can you spare a 3" wide section for an RO top up chamber? An ATU pump and sensor can be purchased quite cheaply.

I don't think I need a P04 reactor nor do I have the budget to do so. I dont mind topping off the tank with RO water everyday when I go to feed so no need for a ATO. Alot of people told me a refrigium is worth it.

mcgyvr
09/26/2016, 03:40 PM
for the most part baffles to 2 things
#1-Provide an area where the water level stays constant..
#2-Attempt to "pop" any microbubbles that may come from the output of the skimmer..

-An ATO can only cost you as much as as the baffles would..
-If you don't mind daily topoffs then you don't need an ATO and can maintain the water level fairly close.
-Its never a good idea to start a saltwater tank if money is already tight..

Nick30G
09/26/2016, 03:41 PM
for the most part baffles to 2 things
#1-Provide an area where the water level stays constant..
#2-Attempt to "pop" any microbubbles that may come from the output of the skimmer..

-An ATO can only cost you as much as as the baffles would..
-Its never a good idea to start a saltwater tank if money is already tight..

I guess you have a point there. A ATO is about as much as a few baffles I guess. So is my design then fine?

major stare
09/26/2016, 03:41 PM
If you don't need a P04 reactor do you need a refugium section (unless you want to grow pods? You will need a light for the algae and possibly a timer (reverse lighting).

If you match the baffles to the height required for the skimmer, you can top up the return pump side manually when required.

oneofmany
09/26/2016, 04:12 PM
FWIW I've been using a 10 gallon sump without any baffles for years on end without any problems. Just a return pump, a heater, a skimmer and a float valve. (which has been in service for a LONG time now) In a tank of that size things like GAC, GFO etc can be run passively, especially if your using the purest water on earth. (RO/DI) ;)

Nick30G
09/27/2016, 02:20 PM
FWIW I've been using a 10 gallon sump without any baffles for years on end without any problems. Just a return pump, a heater, a skimmer and a float valve. (which has been in service for a LONG time now) In a tank of that size things like GAC, GFO etc can be run passively, especially if your using the purest water on earth. (RO/DI) ;)

Does my Sump plan for a baffless tank look alright? I mean you basically just put everything in the tank. I plan on using a Automatic Top Off, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Eheim return pump, Live rock rubble for biological, chateo to reduce nitrates/etc and my heater.

Indybill
09/29/2016, 08:04 PM
I built a 10g sump w/ baffle, besides the bubble containment, I have a place to house a carbon pad or coarse foam filter pad. Only used an inch of tank length. Glad I did it. I have a GFO reactor in my fuge, which resolved a multitude of problems. Also, ATO sensor & fill hose is in the fuge. You should consider one if you ever want to take a vacation. I was gone 2 weeks this summer without a hitch! Also have a small skimmer in the sump. Clamp on led runs while tank lights are off. Best wishes, Bill

CorbinSawyer
09/29/2016, 08:49 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank as a sump. I used 1 baffle at 8 inches tall for the inlet from the overflow, that is where I have a reef octopus skimmer hanging on the baffle. That water stays at a constant level. The water overflows into a middle section with chaeto, heater, rubble and clean up crew. I have a 7 inch high baffle next which keeps the refugium at a set level. 1 inch away from that is another piece of acryllic raised 1 inch for a bubble trap. That is 4 inches from the side and in that compartment I have my pump. That is the only compartment where water volume fluctuates. I top it off manually once a day. Tubing goes from the pump to a "T" of PVC with a ball valve. Off of that "T" i have a tube that feeds my carbon/GFO reactor i got for 40 bucks and that flows back into the refugium. No extra pump needed so I saved money. Works great for me.... no issues and when I put my pump in feed mode the sump holds all the water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk