PDA

View Full Version : Stocking a 95 gallon?

Pandagobyguy
09/26/2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks for reading! I currently have a 20 g tank:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160927/7dc709ff8f768ca20b6c0e265c1d4cec.jpg
And i am very content with it
Buuuuuuuuuuut
I saw THIS for $50 on craigslist!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160927/d53e469df7b030808e829792d4b29ff9.jpg

Im now planning on turning my 20 gallon into a sump/refugium and moving everything but the rock and sand up to the 95. I'll probably use a simple durso overflow (though i realize this is the least safe).

Anyway the question im asking is about stocking the above tank^
It is 48" btw.

Im hoping to be able to breed my clowns so i can only have very peaceful inhabitants. Im looking for fish that serve a definite function in the tank.
So far the list i have (vaguely) put together is:

2 occilaris clowns
2 "sand sifting goby"
1 "parasite or pest eating wrasse"
2 peppermint shrimp (to battle the aptasia i know will happen eventually)

And so far thats it. I'd like to keep the stocking list light but im not set on this number of fish. Perhaps one more "swimmer" would be nice. I have been thinking of getting an aptasia eating filefish and ditching the peppermints for a "gang" of sexy anemone shrimp.

I'm really looking for any advice on "fish with a purpose" that will fit my tank. (Actually even just colorful fun fish) [anything really]
Thanks again!
-oli

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

fishgate
09/27/2016, 06:36 AM
That is a tall tank. Looks beat up too. I would fill it for at least a week to make sure it doesn't leak. Stock list is fine for a start. You could probably do a single tang maybe a yellow tang.

I don't know about breeding the clowns. If you want to try that, you'll need to just have the clowns in the tank and start practicing breeding live food for the fry.

Good luck!

A sea K
09/27/2016, 07:51 AM
If your primary goal with a wrasse is pest control than your best option IMO is H. biocellatus, they are one of the smaller and most passive of the Halichoeres genus. Otherwise I would say one of the Wetmorella (Pygmy Possum Wrasse), they stay small and are peaceful to the point of being cryptic and need to be housed with other peaceful tank mates, these guys are really passive but not as good as the Halichoeres wrasses for pest control.

Several Yellow Assessors will add some nice color and a Firefish of your choice for more color and movement will go nicely with what you have. One of the smaller blennies wont bring much color but I think any peaceful system should have one and my personal favorite is the Tailspot Blenny. One other to consider would be a goby/pistol shrimp combo, the Randalls Goby paired with the small Candy cane pistol is another of my favorites

Joshua I.
09/27/2016, 09:03 AM
I would try to stay away from sand shifters they eat a lot of micro fana if they run out they may starve. In the way of other tank mates you could try something like a firefish but be carful they jump.

Pandagobyguy
09/27/2016, 10:04 AM
That is a tall tank. Looks beat up too. I would fill it for at least a week to make sure it doesn't leak. Stock list is fine for a start. You could probably do a single tang maybe a yellow tang.

I don't know about breeding the clowns. If you want to try that, you'll need to just have the clowns in the tank and start practicing breeding live food for the fry.

Good luck!

Thankfully he filled the tank while i was there so i know it doesnt leak (although that corner is very bad, its the only corner thats damaged).
Do you have a recommendation for a species of tang? Is a yellow tang ok in this size tank?
The lfs told me the clowns would need a year until they were breeding age (is this true?) So hopefully ill have time (after setting up this tank) to setup a roti breeding station.

If your primary goal with a wrasse is pest control than your best option IMO is H. biocellatus, they are one of the smaller and most passive of the Halichoeres genus. Otherwise I would say one of the Wetmorella (Pygmy Possum Wrasse), they stay small and are peaceful to the point of being cryptic and need to be housed with other peaceful tank mates, these guys are really passive but not as good as the Halichoeres wrasses for pest control.

Several Yellow Assessors will add some nice color and a Firefish of your choice for more color and movement will go nicely with what you have. One of the smaller blennies wont bring much color but I think any peaceful system should have one and my personal favorite is the Tailspot Blenny. One other to consider would be a goby/pistol shrimp combo, the Randalls Goby paired with the small Candy cane pistol is another of my favorites

The tanaka pygmy wrasse is adorable! If i end up with another larger fish ill probably get that guy. The red line wrasse looks great as well but im a little worried about having one of those "unseen" fish though.

A pistol/goby pair is a good idea! I like the look of the yellow assesor but i think in the end i'd prefer one larger fish.

I would try to stay away from sand shifters they eat a lot of micro fana if they run out they may starve. In the way of other tank mates you could try something like a firefish but be carful they jump.

Well ive got those wierd "individual panes of glass" that lay on top of the tank and form something "lid-like". Im worried it will block too much light (and cleaning them will be a pain) so i may end up with a mesh top anyway.

Is there a way to supplement the gobies diet?

A sea K
09/27/2016, 11:03 AM
The tanaka pygmy wrasse is adorable! If i end up with another larger fish ill probably get that guy. The red line wrasse looks great as well but im a little worried about having one of those "unseen" fish though.

If you'll be keeping larger fish then I'd advise against the Tanaka, they are very timid and will be one of those "unseen" fish if not kept with passive tank mates.
The Redline wrasse might be a better choice actually for your situation. I kept one in my 210 along with various other wrasses, large tangs and both large and dwarf angels.

Joshua I.
09/27/2016, 11:28 AM
Im not sure if you can supplment there diets one thing is maybe wait like a year so theres enough in there for it and in the way of wrasses I've never had a leoperd wrasse but i have heard great things and they look amazing

mcgyvr
09/27/2016, 11:43 AM
Personally I would NEVER use a tank of those dimensions for a reef tank..
Cleaning down deep is a PITA..
Getting adequate light down deep enough is a PITA..
Its so narrow front to back you would need to create a towering (and unstable) wall of rock..
and so many other reasons..

IMO.. Hit the "PASS" button..

Joshua I.
09/27/2016, 11:49 AM
I'm sure if you really want it you can make it work but he has a point maybe try fish only and some really nice pieces of dry rock it's what i'm doing and i love it

Pandagobyguy
09/27/2016, 04:04 PM
Hmm thanks for all the feedback!! I was worried about the maintanence. Already bought it but maybe i will start with a fowlr... definitely a lot to think about. (I also hate that the tank is drilled once right in the center).
I realize the aquascape will have to be pvc supported but i am not super worried about that. I can just barely reach the bottom without any sort of step so at the very least i can clean off the glass without climbing on something.
I have been looking at the aquasanrise 48" by reefbreeders. I called them and they said the light gets 250 par at 30" so im not super worried about the lighting (i really was planning on mixed with softies at the bottom) [my tank is 31"]
I think if this tank ever does get wet i will probably end up with the redstripe. It is pretty and functional and a 50g tank requirement makes me feel good about its size lol

Joshua I.
09/27/2016, 05:28 PM
If you want you can look it up i've heard of it it's selfs to put in the tank like clear ones to help stack and sucre rock work i'm not to sure though my tank is fish only dry rock and it stays on the bottom