PDA

View Full Version : Salt-less Cycle?

sharkman121
09/27/2016, 06:00 AM
Ive already set up my new tank rebuild, everything is in place to start cycling, tank is filled with dry rock and RODI water, except my Instant Ocean salt hasnt arrived yet and i dont expect it to arrive for another 5 days.

Can i get a head start on cycling the tank using shrimp and bio-spira until the salt arrives on saturday or will this greatly affect the beneficial bacteria when the salt arrives and i do mix it in the tank?

eastlake
09/27/2016, 06:10 AM
Unfortunately you cannot. All of the organisms that would develop and grow in the freshwater environment would die when you added the salt and you would have to start over again with the shrimp and bio-spira.

sharkman121
09/27/2016, 06:28 AM
ahh i thought so, just seemed to be wasted time in the interim. A dose of more patience is in order.

Dkuhlmann
09/27/2016, 06:51 AM
Unfortunately you cannot. All of the organisms that would develop and grow in the freshwater environment would die when you added the salt and you would have to start over again with the shrimp and bio-spira.

Actually, I think the freshwater bacteria would die as soon as the salt was added. This would possibly create a perfect situation for a good bit of ammonia to start the saltwater cycle. I wonder if anyone has done this before to confirm?

scooter31707
09/27/2016, 07:25 AM
Also, I recommend not mixing the salt with the live rock and sand in the tank.

jayball
09/27/2016, 11:24 AM
Also, I recommend not mixing the salt with the live rock and sand in the tank.

He has dry rock. There is no issue there.

JWClark
09/27/2016, 04:09 PM
He has dry rock. There is no issue there.

The issue is in actually mixing the salt. I would not do it either. You will more than likely have more precipitation than normal since undissolved salt will settle into the rocks.

Also, the salt will displace a fair amount of water possibly leading to overflows.

Cliving1
09/27/2016, 05:17 PM
Actually, I think the freshwater bacteria would die as soon as the salt was added. This would possibly create a perfect situation for a good bit of ammonia to start the saltwater cycle. I wonder if anyone has done this before to confirm?

Interested to hear as well..