PDA

View Full Version : Help plumbing Cadlights 50g

rtparty
09/27/2016, 05:36 PM
So I recently bought a used 50g Cadlights cube. I knew the plumbing was weird but figured I could work it all out.

Well, hours later and still staring at BRS I figure I'd ask here. I know some people have gone through this mess.

My drain line is around 40mm inside diameter. The emergency is 16mm or so and so is the return.

So what exactly do I need to hard plumb this thing? Cadlights wants to sell me their $60 conversion kit that will accept sch40 piping. I've got to think there's a better and cheaper option.

Thanks in advance!

Ron Reefman
09/28/2016, 04:46 AM
I just set up a CadLight Artisan 125g system. I scraped the entire metric plumbing collection and did my own with standard schedule 40 pvc. It's not the cheapest way to go, but I'll never have issues looking for ways to change tings later. I also wanted a lot more 'stuff' than the CadLight metric plumbing could do. I love the tank and the stand, the sump is as good as it can be for the size, way better than Red Sea for my money. And if I'm not mistaken, they both provide metric plumbing.

Here is what I ended up doing:
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/P8270002_zpsfg0ffyds.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/P8270002_zpsfg0ffyds.jpg.html)

BTW, I have an active build thread listed in my signature if you are interested.

rtparty
09/28/2016, 07:55 AM
Did you use their bulkheads? I'll replace every part if I can. I just can't find concrete info on what I need. If the holes are drilled to metric, switching bulkheads will be tough

CafeReef
09/28/2016, 07:56 AM
I have the SCA 50 cube (basically the same tank). I took my tank to my LFS and had both holes drilled wider to accept 1" bulkheads. (mine only had 2 holes drilled in the bottom, done differently now). I also had the back drilled to allow for me to run a true herbie, return comes in the back, bottom used for drains.

reeftivo
09/28/2016, 10:48 AM
I have a CAD 60 gallon cube and mine came with all schedule 40-Hmm?

didn't know the 50g systems had metric. doesn't make much sense to me.

Did you ask Eddie or Eric at Cadlights if the holes are sized big enough for a schedule 40 bulkhead on the 50? Mine had about 1mm around the edges when I installed mine so if they are drilled similar, a sch40 may work.

flipping nice tanks for sure! my seams are so clean!

rtparty
09/28/2016, 11:21 AM
I have a CAD 60 gallon cube and mine came with all schedule 40-Hmm?

didn't know the 50g systems had metric. doesn't make much sense to me.

Did you ask Eddie or Eric at Cadlights if the holes are sized big enough for a schedule 40 bulkhead on the 50? Mine had about 1mm around the edges when I installed mine so if they are drilled similar, a sch40 may work.

flipping nice tanks for sure! my seams are so clean!

Mine is a few years old. The guy I got it from didn't know how old it was but he had it a couple years and the guy before him was the original owner. The stand is the old veneer style stand and it is a pile of junk. Those are my nice words. I will be building my own soon though.

I emailed Cadlights and got hold of Scott. Very quick response. He told me to buy their $60 conversion kit and I may have to go that route.

https://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_62&products_id=339&zenid=f79cebfee7dc44b91992e4b0d4082eb6

That is the kit.

If I can buy a couple adapters and couplers it will be much cheaper and I can order everything from BRS. I am still waiting to hear back from BRS on some questions.

Ron Reefman
09/29/2016, 05:25 AM
My CadLight had 2 holes that I think are 12mm which were a tight fit for a 1/2" bulkhead, but they did push through. The bigger one, when switched to a US standard, had a bit of slop and play, but it wasn't an issue.

I got 3 bulkheads from an LFS, gate valves from Graingers and all the rest of the pvc from Lowes. It wasn't THAT expensive and now I can do whatever plumbing I want and not screw around with metric to standard adaptors. If you are keeping the system as basic as the CadLight is designed, maybe an adaptor is the way to go. I wanted to do much more with mine than the CadLight plumbing they supply could deal with.

atp0726
09/29/2016, 07:36 AM
I am going through the same thing with my new 42 Versa! Its turning into quite the nightmare. The 2 people I have talked to at Cadlights don't even seem to know what is in the plumbing box that came with the tank. They even told me I must have stripped out the silly bulkheads (if you can even call them that) that were included.

It seems a 1 inch regular US bulkhead fits in drain hole that is supposed to be 1-1/4. However, I am at a loss for what to do with the supposed 1/2" return. I overnighted a 1/2" bulkhead from Amazon and now I am not sure it will even work.

I also would love to hear what others have done to modify the return/plumbing.

rtparty
09/29/2016, 07:50 AM
I am going through the same thing with my new 42 Versa! Its turning into quite the nightmare. The 2 people I have talked to at Cadlights don't even seem to know what is in the plumbing box that came with the tank. They even told me I must have stripped out the silly bulkheads (if you can even call them that) that were included.

It seems a 1 inch regular US bulkhead fits in drain hole that is supposed to be 1-1/4. However, I am at a loss for what to do with the supposed 1/2" return. I overnighted a 1/2" bulkhead from Amazon and now I am not sure it will even work.

I also would love to hear what others have done to modify the return/plumbing.
When I contacted Cadlights they didn't know either since they've switched plumbing so often. They had me take a picture and then told me what I had. Well, they were wrong because they told me I had a 1" drain and (2) 1/2" bulkheads. My drain is easily 1.5" so I don't think their conversion kit will even help me with this. BRS started out really helpful but now 48 hours later and still no response from them.

I know I need the adapters for each bulkhead but don't know if I need couplers or what to attach everything...

I don't really feel like buying bulkheads and hoping they'll fit. If they don't, that's just wasted money on my end. It's not a lot of money but still a hassle

atp0726
09/29/2016, 08:18 AM
When I contacted Cadlights they didn't know either since they've switched plumbing so often. They had me take a picture and then told me what I had. Well, they were wrong because they told me I had a 1" drain and (2) 1/2" bulkheads. My drain is easily 1.5" so I don't think their conversion kit will even help me with this. BRS started out really helpful but now 48 hours later and still no response from them.

I know I need the adapters for each bulkhead but don't know if I need couplers or what to attach everything...

I don't really feel like buying bulkheads and hoping they'll fit. If they don't, that's just wasted money on my end. It's not a lot of money but still a hassle

I would even be open to using their plumbing system at this point, however, the bulkheads seem defective as they bottom out before they are even closed. The gap they bottom out at is bigger wider than the glass thickness even with the 2 washers. Have you tried closing yours or installing them on the tank? On mine the bulkhead is basically 3 peices, display side, sump side and threaded section.

At a loss for what to do with the return hole as it seems to small to fit a standard 1/2" bulkhead.

rtparty
09/29/2016, 08:46 AM
I would even be open to using their plumbing system at this point, however, the bulkheads seem defective as they bottom out before they are even closed. The gap they bottom out at is bigger wider than the glass thickness even with the 2 washers. Have you tried closing yours or installing them on the tank? On mine the bulkhead is basically 3 peices, display side, sump side and threaded section.

At a loss for what to do with the return hole as it seems to small to fit a standard 1/2" bulkhead.
My tank is used and the bulkheads are installed already. I haven't gotten around to pulling them out and looking at them. I think whoever had this tank before me glued the overflow piping into the bulkheads. I can't get the emergency or return to budge

Ron Reefman
09/29/2016, 02:48 PM
The 15mm or 16mm hole should take a 1/2" bulkhead. Mine did. I had to tale a long pipe and a rubber mallet to tap them in, but it didn't damage the threads on the bulkhead.

The bulkheads they supply aren't supposed to thread all the way together. Mine left a 1/4" gap too, but the bottom glass is 1/2" so they screw up more than tight enough.

rtparty
09/30/2016, 05:21 PM
So I got the bulkheads out today so I could measure the holes in the glass. The drain hole is ~41mm and should fit a 1" ABS bulkhead. Awesome!

However, the emergency and return are both ~21mm. The 1/2" ABS bulkhead needs 27mm according to BRS... :facepalm: So I'm hoping a couple adapters will work nicely.

Ron Reefman
10/01/2016, 04:26 AM
Consider looking around at other bulkheads. I got mine at an LFS and the 1/2" just barely fit. I never measured my holes as I had a beat up old 1/2" bulkhead that fit so I just assumed they all would. I just measured the CadLight bulkhead and the threaded part that goes through the hole is 0.97" which is 24.6mm. So it looks like your holes and CL bulkheads are a bit smaller than what I got with my CL Artisan 125.

Good luck.

snowriderz
10/04/2016, 12:12 PM
i Have the 100G Artisan and spoke with the Eric throughout the installation. i have the 1.25" drain, .75" return and a .5" for emergency. the sizes are different because CAD Lights use uPVC fittings rather than the SCH40 from home depot. so the sizes are slightly different. i thought about getting the converter kit they have but im happy with the current plumbing set up. also i read that uPVC is much better than PVC and Eric explained to me thats why they use it for all their tanks. also holding the Artisan bulkhead and my old aquarium bulkhead, you can definitely feel the Artisan bulkheads are much stronger.

my main drain 1.25" uPVC can fit a 1" aquarium bulkhead
my emergency .5" cant fit any aquarium bulkhead
my return .75" can fit a .5" aquarium bulkhead

@OP: maybe ask them to only send you the converter for just the emergency and get the other fittings from your LFS if you decide to re-do your plumbing into SCH40?

atp0726
10/04/2016, 01:47 PM
i Have the 100G Artisan and spoke with the Eric throughout the installation. i have the 1.25" drain, .75" return and a .5" for emergency. the sizes are different because CAD Lights use uPVC fittings rather than the SCH40 from home depot. so the sizes are slightly different. i thought about getting the converter kit they have but im happy with the current plumbing set up. also i read that uPVC is much better than PVC and Eric explained to me thats why they use it for all their tanks. also holding the Artisan bulkhead and my old aquarium bulkhead, you can definitely feel the Artisan bulkheads are much stronger.

@OP: maybe ask them to only send you the converter for just the emergency and get the other fittings from your LFS if you decide to re-do your plumbing into SCH40?

I originally wasn't able to get the bulkheads to cinch down tightly and they said they were sending new ones after testing them on a tank at the shop.

I would use their plumbing, however, I would like to add unions and according to them they don't carry them. They told me I could get them at HD which will not work.

They never mentioned they had a converter during my numerous calls. I already ordered one from BRS to use when I receive the new cadlights bulkheads.

My tank is one of their Versa series and only comes with a drain and return. Did yours come with the Durso plumbing? If it came with a Durso how loud was it?

snowriderz
10/04/2016, 03:50 PM
I originally wasn't able to get the bulkheads to cinch down tightly and they said they were sending new ones after testing them on a tank at the shop.

I would use their plumbing, however, I would like to add unions and according to them they don't carry them. They told me I could get them at HD which will not work.

They never mentioned they had a converter during my numerous calls. I already ordered one from BRS to use when I receive the new cadlights bulkheads.

My tank is one of their Versa series and only comes with a drain and return. Did yours come with the Durso plumbing? If it came with a Durso how loud was it?

i have the Artisan so it comes with 3 holes and herbie drain and all the stuff on the bottom (valves, elbows). it also comes with a Durso head which if you leave on will run at durso style. i tried both and honestly they made not much of a difference. when my house is silent at night though, the Herbie definitely is completely silent. the Durso makes a small air suction sound. if you arent really up close, i cant tell. so i just use the Durso instead this way i can keep the DC pump full blast without any worries.

i got a email from CAD about the converters i think a week ago. so its probably a new thing.

rtparty
10/04/2016, 03:57 PM

Cadlights will sell me just the 2 smaller converters. I don't need the larger because like you said, the large hole fits a 1" bulkhead. My 2 small holes are both .5" equivalent. I am going to get the adapters from BRS, the couplers from CoralVue and see if that works. If it doesn't then I will get the kit from CadLights.

paja4
09/22/2020, 06:42 PM

You literally saved the day. I know this is years later, but I bought a 100 artisan from a friend and of course the metric bulkheads leak. I'll cut my plumbing tomorrow and measure the holes with a digital caliper to be exact, I've been looking everywhere for a solution to this.