PDA

View Full Version : Scrap my Kessils or add supplemental?

reefer1970
09/27/2016, 08:46 PM
I just moved my 6ft 125g reef tank so it would be a good time to upgrade my lighting. I love my kessils for the controllability and the shimmer but I have a terrible problem with SPS and shadowing from the bottom. Last year I added (4) 24" T5 bulbs and had them go on a few hours during the day. I torched a lot of Corals. Should I maybe just add 2 t5's? change to a different brand LED or ?? Suggestions PLZ

slief
09/27/2016, 08:59 PM
I just moved my 6ft 125g reef tank so it would be a good time to upgrade my lighting. I love my kessils for the controllability and the shimmer but I have a terrible problem with SPS and shadowing from the bottom. Last year I added (4) 24" T5 bulbs and had them go on a few hours during the day. I torched a lot of Corals. Should I maybe just add 2 t5's? change to a different brand LED or ?? Suggestions PLZ

Maybe just add a couple more Kessils to the opposite perimeter and keep all the Kessils along the edges pointed inwards. That's how mine are arranged and I have abolstely no shadowing and my SPS growth is insane at over an inch a month. My tank is 4'x8' and I've got 10 of them on my light rack on articulating mounts with all aimed inward to eliminate shadowing and maximize the light where I need it. As you can see from the picture below, I don't use any supplemental lighting and love these lights.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/Kessil/image_zpsb1dc0659.jpg

Zacktosterone
09/27/2016, 10:44 PM
^^ this is a good idea but can get expensive. corals might not be doing good just because of other parameters as well unless the main complaint is only shadowing....

You could add t5's to the kessils like I have in the past with great results or just scrap them all together and go halide like I did XD

Potatohead
09/27/2016, 11:34 PM
Debating the same thing... Added T5's to my AI's and promptly burned half my corals even though I thought I was going really slow with increasing photoperiod with them :sad2:. I have been really close to switching to an ATI T5 unit but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. I think I'll leave it alone for a couple months, see how things recover, and make a decision then. It's really hard to be patient especially when you know there are a ton of amazing tanks out there running T5 only. You see some really nice ones with LED only as well but it definitely takes a lot more dialing in and most of them have A LOT of fixtures running low power.