PDA

View Full Version : 2 part overdosing failure

Nathan131
09/28/2016, 10:01 AM
Hello,
This is my first post on this site. Over the last year I have been hiding in the shadows reading responses to post already answered in years past.
The other day I had adjusted my two part dosing(reef fusion 1&2). My alk was low and i was looking for some root causes. After rerunning the numbers for my two part i found that i was only dosing 1/3 what i was supposed to( I suspect for start up i did it as a precautionary measure and forgot to increase). I raised the timer from being on for 5 minutes at 1.1ml a minute to 10 at 1.1ml a minute. The problem is that I missed that the hour did not roll on my timer. As a result my timer actually got set for 23 hours and 50 minutes. Really stupid mistake on my part. I was at work for about 18hrs and came home to my tank being covered in white powder. surprisingly everything is looking pretty good considering. My fish are ok and my corals including SPS are looking ok.
I did a 10% water change at 230am last night when i got in. I did a 10% change this morning and i intend on doing the same for the next couple days.
Here are my parameters this morning
alk 9 dkh
calcium 520
ph 8
normally they are
alk 7 dkh
calcium 420
ph 8.1
Should i be worried? it looks like it snowed in my tank should i try manually removing the powder or will it go away on its own?
Im just trying to figure out if this is a winter wonderland or nuclear winter.
Thank You,
Nathan

Potatohead
09/28/2016, 10:36 AM
Unfortunately there's not much more you can do other than what you are doing. It looks like most of the solution precipitated out of the water column, which is actually good. If you watch the BRS 52 weeks on YouTube, I think week 50 or 51, they did the exact same thing.

I would do like five or six water changes until everything falls back in line, and hope for the best.

Martin Kuhn
09/28/2016, 11:41 AM
The ca level is uncritical for your fish/corals. Just wait until it comes down again

Don't forget to dose the alk component of your 2 part as you did before (don't stop)

I wouldn't do more waterchanges than normally.

What I would do else
- try to "stream off" particles lying down on your rocks. It should get filtered out by the skimmer
- take out your pumps rotating parts and clean them from possible participations

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Martin Kuhn
09/28/2016, 11:44 AM
Precipitations
.... I wanted to write.... sorry

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Nathan131
09/28/2016, 01:06 PM
I really appreciate help and feedback. Hopefully everything will live to see another day!

bertoni
09/28/2016, 07:39 PM
I suspect everything will be fine. Most often, tanks come through problems like this in good shape. Those parameters are fine as is. That calcium level is a bit high, but far below any danger point.