PDA

View Full Version : Yes another ich/parasite post

Bsvenonius
09/28/2016, 07:33 PM
So I had 5 fish in my FOWLR tank. Dwarf angel, 2 clowns, Blennie and a six line wrasse. All of them died from what looked like a parasite/ich. My wrasse showed signs then I treated him. He's still alive and kicking. I do not have room for qt tank. How long should I wait to add more fish? Thanks

KMS.Kyle
09/29/2016, 02:00 AM
There is A LOT of amazing posts on the forums regarding this - WAY BETTER than anyone can just simply write in response.

Trust me, I know how much it sucks to have to "Search" something...you want to feel as if somebody is talking to you - but you're missing out on some incredibly helpful info like this post - which is a STICKY in the general forums.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1990809

Good luck.

gone fishin
09/29/2016, 05:14 AM
Short answer if your tank has/had ich then the DT needs to be fishless or fallow for 72 days. Since you do not have room for a QT then it is a moot point and the best you can hope for is to manage the ich in the DT.

As pointed out above there are numerous stickies in the fish disease forum concerning ich. I am fairly sure all the ones covering treatment rquire the use of a QT.

Bsvenonius
09/29/2016, 07:49 AM
Ill do a search thanks guys

scooter31707
09/29/2016, 08:43 AM
Go by you a 10 gallon tank to put the wrasse in, depending how big he is, you may can do 5 gallon. Petco has $1 per gallon sale. The wrasse needs to come out of the DT and no fish for at least 72 days.

LJLKRL
09/29/2016, 09:27 AM
Go by you a 10 gallon tank to put the wrasse in, depending how big he is, you may can do 5 gallon. Petco has $1 per gallon sale. The wrasse needs to come out of the DT and no fish for at least 72 days.

And read up on the Tank Transfer Method to rid the fish of ich. Buy two 5 gallon tanks. If it is just one fish, you could even use two 5 gallon buckets. It really works. You still need to leave your display tank fishless for 72 days though.
Doing both of these things will rid your fish and display tank of ich, at least until you buy another infected fish :)

microlady
10/07/2016, 07:57 PM
And read up on the Tank Transfer Method to rid the fish of ich. Buy two 5 gallon tanks. If it is just one fish, you could even use two 5 gallon buckets. It really works. You still need to leave your display tank fishless for 72 days though.
Doing both of these things will rid your fish and display tank of ich, at least until you buy another infected fish :)

Not always true. I've tried everything the past year, fallow periods, TTM, etc. Sometimes it stays in a system and the only way to get it out is a complete tear down, or just try to manage stress levels so it doesn't get out of hand. It has been impossible to eliminate in my experience.

anthonys51
10/08/2016, 02:11 PM
Not always true. I've tried everything the past year, fallow periods, TTM, etc. Sometimes it stays in a system and the only way to get it out is a complete tear down, or just try to manage stress levels so it doesn't get out of hand. It has been impossible to eliminate in my experience.

those methods work, but you have to do them right. Also you to qt everything you add to your tank for 72 days. even corals and inverts and make sure you dont use nets and stuff for tanks that might have ich.

but om a side note my current tank has ich, the kole tang got it when i added it. then 18 months later a few fish got it but my hippo showed the most ich when i added the yellow tang and coral beauty angel. that was 2 months ago and fish are fine. now yes when i add new fish i know it can be a probably, but i haven't lost a fish to ich in a while, so i do what works for me, of course i would recommend 100 percent for you to qt all your fish. i know i am being risky, but for me its a risk i am willing to take. hell in last 2 years i lost more fish to jumping out of a tank, finally got a lid 16 months ago. dont listen to anyone who says this fish wont jump. they all jump :)

snorvich
10/08/2016, 02:55 PM
By the way, tank wipe outs are rare with ich, it sounds like the OP experiencrd velvet.