PDA

View Full Version : return pump and pipe size

cinnamongirl
09/28/2016, 08:18 PM
It's time to upgrade my system. :celeb2:

I'm seeking advice on an external return pump for a standard 220g reef ready AGA tank with dual overflows. The 100g sump is in the basement, so it's approx 8 vertical feet and 20 horizontal feet. I'm planning on using flex PVC around 3 corners to avoid any 90 degree connections.

I intend to have 1 return running the distance that splits under the cabinet to the dual returns. I'd also like some suggestions on pipe diameter size for maximum flow and efficency.

Because it's in the basement, it doesn't have to be super quiet. My preference is on reliability and and energy efficiency (if there is such a thing in this hobby!!)

The more I read, the more confused I get, so I figured I'd just ask about my own specifics. Thanks!

RDuhb
09/28/2016, 08:42 PM
I'm starting a similar setup. A 125 with a basement sump. My vertical is approximately 9' and my horizontal is about 25'. But the consensus is that such a long horizontal is not a good idea. Now I'm trying to convince my wife how great the tank will look on the other side of the family room (closer to the sump) :) .

cinnamongirl
10/02/2016, 07:00 PM
Ok I'm more confused. Why is horizontal feet bad?

Wazzel
10/02/2016, 08:55 PM
Ok I'm more confused. Why is horizontal feet bad?

The longer the run the greater the friction losses in pipe of equal diameter.

cinnamongirl
10/03/2016, 06:31 PM
Ok, thank you, Mark. I'm prepared to get a stronger pump to accommodate the losses, but I don't have much choice if I want a basement sump. Which I do :smile:. :lolspin: :bounce2:

Does anyone have pump suggestions? I realize I am going to have to go bigger. My priorities are 1 reliability 2 noise, and 3 cost.

Wazzel
10/04/2016, 06:20 AM
Panworld/blueline (same pump, but sold under two names for some reason), reeflo or Iwaki are the brands I would look to use if it were me. You can help yourself out some if you put the sump on a stand and reduce the vertical lift. In case you do not know, pump losses has three components, lift, flow losses and discharge back pressure. The first two generally apply to what we do in our tanks. Also, the lift component is from the sump water surface to the tank water surface. Not sure if that is going to change anything in your case.

wtac
10/06/2016, 11:01 AM
I recommend either the Iwaki MD-70RLT (Japanese motor), PanWorld 200PS or BlueLine 70.

In that flow range @head height I MUCH prefer the impeller spin by magnetic coupling than direct drive. Reason is that you don't have to worry about seals failing.

Plumb the disharge end with 1.5" pipe to reduce flow restriction of delivering water to the DT and reduce back to 1" at the bulkheads below the DT. It may be to your benefit to run drain lines @1.5" with that horizontal run.

JM2C

Vinny Kreyling
10/06/2016, 05:08 PM
Whatever you decide --Get A BIG sump - you have to accommodate all the water in that
20+ feet of pipe.

luvreefs23
10/07/2016, 02:25 PM
Definitely panworld 200ps, I have one on a 375 with 120 gallon sump with 10 feet of head split into 2 lines for 2 returns & about 12-15 feet horizontal. 4 years and not 1 issue. Uses 150 watts, had the reef flo hammerhead and went thru 2-3 seals in 2-3 years. Pain, and I think it uses more power.

jkapit
10/08/2016, 02:30 PM
I have a 180 Gallon display and use two Iwaki 55RLT in the basement for return pumps. 30 ft of horizontal and about 7 90 degree turns and flow is perfect.

The Iwaki pumps have been trouble free for 12'years, I clean them once a year. Perfct for high head pressure applications. In my opinion they are not a good pump for being in the stand, too noisy and too much heat. A very good choice for being in the basement, very little heat added to the tank since the motors are out in the open and the cooling fans do their job.

cinnamongirl
11/26/2016, 01:15 PM
Thanks everyone! Great advice, as always!

cinnamongirl
11/26/2016, 01:18 PM
Whatever you decide --Get A BIG sump - you have to accommodate all the water in that
20+ feet of pipe.

Excellent point, Vinny!! I am planning on re-purposing a scratched up 120g acrylic tank for my sump, so that should be enough. Is there a pipe volume calculator anywhere out there, so I can estimate the excessive volume that I hadn't considered?

Vinny Kreyling
11/26/2016, 02:48 PM
Try this:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pipe-water-content-volume-weight-d_1734.html

cinnamongirl
11/26/2016, 04:30 PM
Try this:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pipe-water-content-volume-weight-d_1734.html

Oh wow, thank! This will be a big help!