PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question/help

meverha1
09/28/2016, 09:42 PM
I need to plumb my tank and sump but I know virtually nothing about plumbing beyond the basic home maintenance stuff. PVC epoxy/cement won't be all that hard to figure out but I'm overwhelmed by figuring out how to route the pipes.

Basic info
110 gallon tank. Used. Center overflow with two bulkheads in the bottom of the tank. Drain will most likely be a straight shot down to the sump.

Questions

There's two 1 inch bulkheads in the overflow. Previous owner clearly used one for the drain and the other for the return. Would it make sense to use both for a herbie drain and run new pipe up the back of the tank for the return? Is a herbie style drain really that much better than a normal one?

Assuming I should use unions and ball/gate valves whenever I can, correct?

I have two possible return pumps Sicce 10.0 (submersible) and a Corallife Turbo Sea 1740P (not submersible). Anyone have a preference? Obviously the submersible one is "easier" because I won't have to drill my sump.

Return pump - should I use a section of flexible/soft hose to join the return to the PVC return pipe? I've heard that vibrations can crack PVC

Anything special I should know about building a manifold? I was just going to use a 1" to 1/2" reduction Tee with a union and a ball valve and then 4 individual Ball valves for the manifold

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, can anyone link or send me a clear diagram of their plumbing job, possibly with a materials list? It would serve as a good starting point while I figure out exactly what I'll need for the project.

Dkuhlmann
09/29/2016, 03:16 AM
I need to plumb my tank and sump but I know virtually nothing about plumbing beyond the basic home maintenance stuff. PVC epoxy/cement won't be all that hard to figure out but I'm overwhelmed by figuring out how to route the pipes.

Basic info
110 gallon tank. Used. Center overflow with two bulkheads in the bottom of the tank. Drain will most likely be a straight shot down to the sump.

Questions

There's two 1 inch bulkheads in the overflow. Previous owner clearly used one for the drain and the other for the return. Would it make sense to use both for a herbie drain and run new pipe up the back of the tank for the return? YES Is a herbie style drain really that much better than a normal one? YES

Assuming I should use unions and ball/gate valves whenever I can, correct? YES

I have two possible return pumps Sicce 10.0 (submersible) and a Corallife Turbo Sea 1740P (not submersible). Anyone have a preference? Obviously the submersible one is "easier" because I won't have to drill my sump. I personally prefer in tank submersible pumps, but there are situations where non submersible are a better choice

Return pump - should I use a section of flexible/soft hose to join the return to the PVC return pipe? I've heard that vibrations can crack PVC I highly recommend using the flex tubing for return for many reasons and vibrations is one of them

Anything special I should know about building a manifold? I was just going to use a 1" to 1/2" reduction Tee with a union and a ball valve and then 4 individual Ball valves for the manifold. why do you want to reduce to 1/2" I would stay with 1". Other than that you're correct

[B]Lastly and perhaps most importantly, can anyone link or send me a clear diagram of their plumbing job, possibly with a materials list? It would serve as a good starting point while I figure out exactly what I'll need for the project. Sorry can't help you there I didn't diagram it.

Ron Reefman
09/29/2016, 03:44 AM
I agree with DK. However, I use a soft connector between the bulkhead and my pvc pipe. The rest of my system is hard plumbed with pvc. I don't have a diagram, but here is a pic.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/P8270003_zpsj2mpulw7.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/P8270003_zpsj2mpulw7.jpg.html)

From left to right there is a ball valve and barbed fitting for a hose for doing water changes (getting tank water out), then a gate valve to a reactor, a gate valve to the main DT, the pipe up from the variable speed return pump, a gate valve to the chiller (outside behind my house) and a gate valve to the 50g display refugium that sits next to the DT. The far right end is capped but available for further expansion id needed. Hope that helps a little?

meverha1
09/29/2016, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the help. I think I understand a bit better now.

With regards to the manifold, if I keep it at 1" PVC pipe, what do I use to connect the 1/2" tubing that will feed into my reactors? Are there 1" to 1/2" ball and gate valves?

fishgate
09/29/2016, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the help. I think I understand a bit better now.

With regards to the manifold, if I keep it at 1" PVC pipe, what do I use to connect the 1/2" tubing that will feed into my reactors? Are there 1" to 1/2" ball and gate valves?

You need a reducer bushing and a barbed transition piece (threaded to barbed or slip to barbed).

Take a look at my video. It shows a lot of the plumbing.

https://youtu.be/RYhAp6GFNz8