PDA

View Full Version : For UV, is one 65 watt ballast the same as another?

fishguy306
09/29/2016, 11:21 AM
I recently was given a 65 watt Aqua UV sterilizer for free, the owner wasn't sure if the bulb had gone out or if it was the ballast. Honestly it might be both looking at them. The ballast is pretty rusted from not being in a well vented room. So I'm considering replacing both.

The issue is the official ballast is $160 which is a bit excessive. I'm trying to figure out if one 65 watt ballast is the same as another. The current ballast has a square four pin connector. If I were to spend the $25 on a 65 watt fluorescent ballast with a square four pin connector on it will it work fine for what I need? I'm really not well versed in lighting and ballasts, so this is new territory for me, I'm learning as I go and trying to to burn my house down.

fishguy306
09/30/2016, 04:55 PM
No thoughts on this from anyone? Hell at this point I'm tempted to spend the $25 and just try it with the bulb I've got and see if it lights up.

bblumberg
09/30/2016, 05:12 PM
I recently was given a 65 watt Aqua UV sterilizer for free, the owner wasn't sure if the bulb had gone out or if it was the ballast. Honestly it might be both looking at them. The ballast is pretty rusted from not being in a well vented room. So I'm considering replacing both.

The issue is the official ballast is $160 which is a bit excessive. I'm trying to figure out if one 65 watt ballast is the same as another. The current ballast has a square four pin connector. If I were to spend the $25 on a 65 watt fluorescent ballast with a square four pin connector on it will it work fine for what I need? I'm really not well versed in lighting and ballasts, so this is new territory for me, I'm learning as I go and trying to to burn my house down.

I am no expert in this area, but have replaced a fair number of junk ballasts in stock fixtures with electronic alternatives over the years. Basically, if you purchase a ballast rated for the size and wattage of the tube you have (T12, T8, T5, etc) then it should work. AquaUV also sells the appropriate ballasts direct, although the price is probably higher. This might be the easiest alternative....

slief
09/30/2016, 05:14 PM
I would just play it safe and get the correct ballast from AquaUV. If you search online, you can probably find a better price for it. AquaUV makes their own bulbs so it's likely they have something special with their ballasts too. Plus their ballasts are pretty small.

fishguy306
09/30/2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, you confirmed what I'm thinking. AquaUV does sell the ballast through 3rd parties since it is an older unit and that would be the simplest option, but I have a hard time justifying $160 when I can just use a $25 one instead

Slief, not sure if since it is an older unit but the ballast on mine is actually really big. I've searched a good deal, since it is an old unit it's pretty limited on where they can be bought from.

slief
09/30/2016, 05:25 PM
Which UV do you have? AquaUV doesn't list a 65 watt sterilizer though they do have 65 watt bulbs... Is this an order unit?

Edit, I just saw your reply.

Have you tried to open the ballast up assuming it's enclosed and see if there are any numbers on the brick? It might just be a starter that you need for it too.

fishguy306
09/30/2016, 05:38 PM
It is an older unit, I ended up contacting Aqua UV as I couldn't ID it. Their rep said it is from 2001, so it is getting up there in age. The model is SN 041841. I'm told the ballast I need is A30065 65 Watt NEMA Transformer. The ballast is huge, probably a foot long by eight wide and eight inches thick. I was thinking I'd pop it open tonight. I can take some pics of it all when I do