PDA

View Full Version : Treating water change water to avoid disposal?

MarkS
09/29/2016, 05:15 PM
I'm working on plans for a plankton-friendly tank that will use 100% air powered surge devices in the aquarium and water changes and macroalgae export for nutrient export. This will be an enclosed, sumpless (in the standard sense) design.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever tried to treat the water removed from a tank and then pump it back?

I'm considering a dual sump design in which one alternating sump will always be empty. Water will be drained into the empty sump, allowed to settle and then an oversized protein skimmer run on it along with other TBD filters to clean and treat the water. This treatment would run the entire time between water changes. Once it is time for a water change, water would be drained into the empty sump and the previously treated water would be pumped back into the aquarium. During the treatment phase, salinity would be monitored and kalk would be dosed. This treatment system would be the only place impeller pumps would be used.

Is this a crazy idea? What pitfalls could I expect to have to overcome?

MarkS
09/29/2016, 05:34 PM
Never mind. I found threads right after posting this detailing how this is a bad idea.