PDA

View Full Version : TDS Meter

Rogger Castells
09/29/2016, 09:23 PM
I know that TDS monitoring is normally done by the Ro/Di filter but wouldn’t be nice to to monitor at your aquatronica too? In my case the water filtration is outside my house behind the tank wall. I think it should be pretty easy to get this going.

RobbyG
10/03/2016, 12:04 PM
Inline TDS meters are very problematic. The two electrodes tend to develop a coating in a couple of months and then the readings start to creep up. Pulling it out of the line and cleaning it is a PITA. I had a dual port one and but dumped it for those reasons.

Rogger Castells
10/04/2016, 01:40 AM
hum, I’ve never seen that, but I have never taken the electrodes out to clean them either, good point, I would still like to have it as an option

Buckeye Hydro
10/25/2016, 06:45 AM
Inline TDS meters are very problematic. The two electrodes tend to develop a coating in a couple of months and then the readings start to creep up. Pulling it out of the line and cleaning it is a PITA. I had a dual port one and but dumped it for those reasons.

Your experience is not typical...

Rogger Castells
10/26/2016, 01:49 AM
I am going to have to agree with buckeye, I recently got my 8-year-old unit back to work changed all the filters and TDS meters and I was amazed to see that the actual electrodes were pretty clean, I changed both units anyway, Now perhaps the type of water may make a difference on the electrodes, My water comes in at around 130ppm and by the time it reaches the DI its already at 004

Buckeye Hydro
10/26/2016, 04:04 AM

What can you tell us about the water you were running past the electrodes?

Well water?

High in Mn, or iron? Low pH?

Russ

RobbyG
10/26/2016, 03:17 PM
What can you tell us about the water you were running past the electrodes?

Well water?

High in Mn, or iron? Low pH?

Russ

Not sure of all the parameters but the TDS from the supply is about 230 which is fairly high. I am surprised you have this opinion of the inline units. When I was shopping for it I asked the question about which brand to get and many senior people on the forum warned me not to get one for these exact same reasons. I did not listen and got one anyway and found out the hard way that they were right.

Buckeye Hydro
10/26/2016, 03:30 PM
I've sold those inline TDS meters for 15+ years and that has not been our experience. There are all sorts on inline probes on all sorts of meters, monitors, and controllers on many brands. What you describe does not seem to be a widely experienced problem.

230 ppm TDS feedwater is nothing unusual - it wouldn't, by itself, cause any particular issues with the probes.

Are you on well water or city water?

RobbyG
10/29/2016, 06:53 PM
City water that is high in minerals and Chlorine