PDA

View Full Version : Mantis? Or stone crab

Eduardomemun
10/01/2016, 01:19 AM
New aquarium. A month old. Added uncured live rock from gulf and decided to cure it on tank ( not the best idea I now ) but before I added any rock I soaked each one in super salt water and many little crabs fall off the rock. Even a mantis. But today I was in the dark watching the aquarium and I heard some clicking sound from some rock. Only one click and it take time to make another click. And I began exploring with the flashlight of my iPhone. And I saw a big stone crab brownish color. And also a purplelish colored one. I don't now if there are more of them.
I added turbos and some blue leg hermit crabs. No fish yet

I guess if I had a mantis this stone crabs would be food for it. No?
And the stone crabs can make sound? Click sound?

Should I take the stone crabs out?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aznflyfisherman
10/01/2016, 02:35 AM
I would think its the mantis shrimp killing your hermits or snails or maybe that stone crab.

Eduardomemun
10/01/2016, 08:22 AM
I would think its the mantis shrimp killing your hermits or snails or maybe that stone crab.

No missing hermits or snails yet

Bugboy2020
10/01/2016, 10:36 AM
The clicking sounds you hear are Pistol Shrimp. They're about 1/4 inch long, so I doubt you'll see them.
Also, since you added rock straight from the ocean, be on the lookout for goodies!

neiltus
10/01/2016, 09:13 PM
My vote is pistol shrimp.

Not aware of stone or gorillas clicking.

Also not really understanding the high salinity bath.

Eduardomemun
10/01/2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks! Help me identify this crab. The photo is not good because they never leave the rock http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161002/c6251a51a6ed7d01ae53ee1a01c3dcba.jpg

It's little bigger than a quarter coin. And kind of pink to purple dotted color

nmotz
10/01/2016, 10:58 PM
My vote is pistol shrimp.

Not aware of stone or gorillas clicking.

Also not really understanding the high salinity bath.

I suppose it was to flush out any hitchhikers. I agree that it's probably a pistol shrimp in the tank.

Stone crabs are bad for a reef tank so I'd get rid of them if you have/want coral.

Eduardomemun
10/02/2016, 12:03 PM
Thanks ! Now I can see the mantis !! But the mantis will kill the crabs? Shall I just wait to ?
I putted tramps but the crabs don't fell in them

Eduardomemun
10/10/2016, 05:47 PM
Found death one of the stone crabs http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161010/d6a8cce16a4dd1dbaa30ecd1444d9341.jpg
The mantis? Or the pistol? ( well pistols haven't seen any of them yet) but I hear the clicking

nmotz
10/11/2016, 08:18 AM
Kinda strange that the mantis didn't eat the crab though. Might've been snapped by the pistol shrimp. Or it could've just died for some other unknown reason. Come to think of it, I did have a small Neogonodactylus Oerstedii attack and kill a large emerald crab without eating it.

Eduardomemun
10/12/2016, 05:18 PM
I just found a second crab death a smaller one. But I can see a big one still alive. I want to add corals but I want to wait till I don't se any crabs

Ladipyg
10/12/2016, 09:58 PM
Your aquarium is not old enough or stable enough to start adding corals yet...it needs to be older. better established and rid of hitch hikers that will just kill or eat any coral you may add to the tank. Patience is the key when you have a saltwater aquarium.

Eduardomemun
10/13/2016, 07:17 AM
Your aquarium is not old enough or stable enough to start adding corals yet...it needs to be older. better established and rid of hitch hikers that will just kill or eat any coral you may add to the tank. Patience is the key when you have a saltwater aquarium.

Yes you're right ! I'll wait and start to get rid of the other crabs and mantis. What's the best bait for them ? I used shrimp and didn't worked

nmotz
10/13/2016, 08:22 AM
They're hard little buggers to catch, but I'd keep trying traps with meaty foods and eventually you'll get em all. Some people take their rock out and rinse them out with fresh water. This is effective but could possibly kill other stuff on your rock causing a mini-cycle.

Ladipyg
10/13/2016, 06:12 PM
Depending on how large the tank is, you could suspend the live rock over a grid of egg crate with some salt water from the tank. The hitchhikers would begin to move down out of the rock, until they eventually fall into the the container they are suspended over. Keep the ones you want to keep and get rid of the others..the ones you don't want could also be put into a sump with live rock and algae, eating any detritus that accumulates. This would take a while, as you would have to move the rock around and let it dry.
As nmotz stated...rinsing with fresh water is a alternative, but, you would lose good hitchhikers as well as bad...

Eduardomemun
10/14/2016, 07:14 AM
Depending on how large the tank is, you could suspend the live rock over a grid of egg crate with some salt water from the tank. The hitchhikers would begin to move down out of the rock, until they eventually fall into the the container they are suspended over. Keep the ones you want to keep and get rid of the others..the ones you don't want could also be put into a sump with live rock and algae, eating any detritus that accumulates. This would take a while, as you would have to move the rock around and let it dry.
As nmotz stated...rinsing with fresh water is a alternative, but, you would lose good hitchhikers as well as bad...

Thanks!
I read somewhere that If you rinse with freshwater you kill the bacteria!
I think I'll use traps instead. Because it's a big tank and every rock is very big

Ladipyg
10/14/2016, 04:44 PM
Easiest way to catch crabs in a large aquarium with large rocks is to use a clear glass drinking glass and put a piece of shrimp with shell in the bottom of the glass. Take this glass and lean it against the rock where you believe the crab lives. It will climb down to get the shrimp and will not be able to climb back up the slick, steep sides of the glass. This works better than any other trap I've ever tried....simple is better.

Eduardomemun
10/15/2016, 08:03 AM
Today catched 2 stone crabs in minutes !! Using squid as bait. And the ultra life mantis tramp!! 100% effective !

Eduardomemun
10/15/2016, 09:00 AM
Today catched 2 stone crabs in minutes !! Using squid as bait. And the ultra life mantis tramp!! 100% effective !

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161015/ccda50e9134a22a18ed341371fcac225.jpg