PDA

View Full Version : sugar dosing observations

redseaapples
10/02/2016, 06:53 AM
well been about 6 weeks now since i began putting small doses of sugar in my tank and i thought id share the adventure to date..
first week after i began in 3/4 days i got a bacterial bloom cloudy tank for about 2 days figured i put to much sugar so i started to do less on every 2nd day ..i tested nitrite ammonia ph and nitrate during the 6 weeks ..first week all good except nitrate which was reduced from 50 ppm using tap water to using deionzed water to almost 10 ppm ..at the beggining it continued to climb then suddenly overnight it went to almost zero and since then it has been zero and remains there ..i added a reef scorpion fish and one hammer coral after i had done the water change to deionzed water which i use for all water on this tank..
neither coral or fish have shown any signs of anything expect looking good and healthy... i have observed though that on one night i forgot to turn the outside filter (carbon/filterwool) back on after feeding that the skimmer went from foaming darkbrown/black/green yucky stuff to overflowing with tan liquid overnight ..went back to normal one hour after i turned the ouside filter back on ..dunno why though....i dont know why this works but it seems to ..but it does seem to almost strip the live rock of life a bit..hard to explain what i mean just the way the rock looks is different...anyway have to respond to any thoughts..

disc1
10/02/2016, 09:19 AM
I tried, I really did. But I couldn't read it. If someone wants to write it out normal I'll try again.

rtparty
10/02/2016, 10:00 AM
I tried, I really did. But I couldn't read it. If someone wants to write it out normal I'll try again.
Carbon dosing works but they don't know why? That's all I got