PDA

View Full Version : Finnex HMX-S Heater w/ Digital LED Controller

zensaiyan
10/02/2016, 12:54 PM
greetings team BRS. i was wondering if you had an instruction manual for this heater. i have had one in use for about 3 weeks now, and it seems temperamental at best. for example, i set the unit at 80 degrees, go away, come back much later, and the unit is reporting that the tank is 80 degrees on the digital display. when I touch the water it is definitely not 80 degrees; the temperature is around the low 71 when i use a secondary thermometer. there are also other times the unit seems more reliable, and the digital display will read 80 with the secondary thermometer reading 78-79.

i am not sure if i just got a lemon or if the digital display pad is reading the set temp rather than the tank temp. i did not have any instruction manual in the heater box when i received it. i tried searching finnex's website, but i couldn't find an instruction manual there either. any advice would be appreciated! thank you very much for your help.

RT_BRS
10/03/2016, 02:06 PM
greetings team BRS. i was wondering if you had an instruction manual for this heater. i have had one in use for about 3 weeks now, and it seems temperamental at best. for example, i set the unit at 80 degrees, go away, come back much later, and the unit is reporting that the tank is 80 degrees on the digital display. when I touch the water it is definitely not 80 degrees; the temperature is around the low 71 when i use a secondary thermometer. there are also other times the unit seems more reliable, and the digital display will read 80 with the secondary thermometer reading 78-79.

i am not sure if i just got a lemon or if the digital display pad is reading the set temp rather than the tank temp. i did not have any instruction manual in the heater box when i received it. i tried searching finnex's website, but i couldn't find an instruction manual there either. any advice would be appreciated! thank you very much for your help.

Hey there! This here is the manual that is included with the heater:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/brsinstructions/brsFinnex/HMXManual_A.pdf

It sounds like there may be an issue with that heater - measured temperature is displayed on that screen unless you are setting the desired temperature.

Give us a call at 763.432.9691 and we can help out.

Salty150
02/18/2017, 11:34 AM
Looks like from the last 6 reviews of this heater - they all do the same thing...?

125mph
02/19/2017, 06:14 AM
Mine does the same....! I set it to 92'F and control it with Apex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valeriebrs
02/20/2017, 11:02 AM
After setting the temperature, are you getting this result after 48 hours of leaving it to adjust?

125mph
02/21/2017, 02:25 PM
After setting the temperature, are you getting this result after 48 hours of leaving it to adjust?

Yep.. I was very excited initially getting the heater. I set it to 79' and have my apex controller to turn on at 77' and turn off at 78'. The heater stays on all the time because the water stays below 77'. However, checking the heater's digital reading shows it at 82' and so it wont active the heater. I moved it to various locations with high water turnover but has not worked.

Ended up just turning this thing on to full blast at 92' and also getting a fennix titianium heater, both controlled by APEX.

I think the temperature gauge in the heater is getting confused with the heat produced by the heater itself, which throws the gauge up.

Randy_BRS
02/21/2017, 04:48 PM
Yep.. I was very excited initially getting the heater. I set it to 79' and have my apex controller to turn on at 77' and turn off at 78'. The heater stays on all the time because the water stays below 77'. However, checking the heater's digital reading shows it at 82' and so it wont active the heater. I moved it to various locations with high water turnover but has not worked.

Ended up just turning this thing on to full blast at 92' and also getting a fennix titianium heater, both controlled by APEX.

I think the temperature gauge in the heater is getting confused with the heat produced by the heater itself, which throws the gauge up.

It does sound like that is acting oddly. I can't say that I've experienced the same from my Finnex heaters. :strange:

If you could, please give us a quick call at 763.432.9691, and we should be able to get this issue sorted out.

-Randy

Salty150
02/21/2017, 05:56 PM
I can't say that I've experienced the same from my Finnex heaters. :strange:

-Randy

Do you have the same HMX-S heater? ;)

Randy_BRS
02/21/2017, 06:35 PM
Do you have the same HMX-S heater? ;)

Yep! We use two of them on the BRS160! :-)

Salty150
02/21/2017, 06:39 PM

Well, what the heck! lol

This hobby can be so confusing! :p

125mph
02/21/2017, 09:12 PM

Yes, thats why I brought the heater :)

robgonsailing
02/23/2017, 04:49 PM
Mine is doing the same thing too. Have to set it at 81* just to keep the tank at 78*. I used other heaters in the tank at the same time to keep the temp constant so I don't think it's the heat output that is affecting the readings. I think the thermostat is just calibrated poorly.

Mstefa1
03/06/2017, 10:06 PM
I'll chime in here and add that my new HMX-S 500w does the same exact thing. I have to set it to 86F to hold a 78F tank. Verified by independent thermometer and controlled by a RKL. If I didn't use controller I'd be pretty disappointed. This is not a very good product.

Randy_BRS
03/07/2017, 01:54 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks to feedback like this, we've decided to take a deeper look at a few of these heaters to see if we can replicate the reported issues. We should be able to provide some of our own feedback in the near future!

-Randy

Mstefa1
03/07/2017, 02:19 PM
Thanks Randy. Certainly not fault of BRS but Finnex needs to be aware of their under performing product.

robgonsailing
04/06/2017, 07:47 AM
Any update on this? I am now up to 85* on the heater to maintain 78* in the tank. Temp is monitored by Apex and verified by a glass thermometer.

Randy_BRS
04/06/2017, 09:22 AM
Any update on this? I am now up to 85* on the heater to maintain 78* in the tank. Temp is monitored by Apex and verified by a glass thermometer.

Hey guys!

We tested a couple of these heaters off the shelf, both in the video below and supplementary to that video because of this thread, and could not replicate the same issues. We did find that Finnex's recommended 48hr wait time held true for our tests, but couldn't replicate the same extreme differences between set points and actual temp out put. (You can see this info in the video as well.)

https://youtu.be/JAqU-gCwiKE

For your particular case, have you turned on the data logging for the heater outlet to monitor when it turns ON/OFF? Is the heater in a high flow area where the increased flow keeps the heating element from giving a false temp reading to the heater's internal temp regulator?

-Randy

robgonsailing
04/06/2017, 08:52 PM
I have my heater in the display near a ph so flow isn't an issue. I have the outlet set to ON in Apex so I don't think I can log anything. My secondary heater in the sump has on and off values in Apex in case of failure. The red light on the finnex controller doesn't come on (showing it is heating) until I bump the temp up much higher than the actual water temp.

Mstefa1
04/06/2017, 09:16 PM
I have my heater in the display near a ph so flow isn't an issue. I have the outlet set to ON in Apex so I don't think I can log anything. My secondary heater in the sump has on and off values in Apex in case of failure. The red light on the finnex controller doesn't come on (showing it is heating) until I bump the temp up much higher than the actual water temp.

Use the apex to turn on/off the heater then use the finnex controller as a backup in case the apex were to fail "on".

wcharon
04/07/2017, 05:40 AM
Waooooooo. This got me thinking.

I was trying to avoid to place a heater in my tank but the air conditioner of the house is fluctuating the tank to 76 degrees in the morning.

I saw the video and am trying to decide between the Cobalt or the Finnex.

Any suggestions as have seen in this thread different results?

Thanks in advance...

Mstefa1
04/07/2017, 06:00 AM
Waooooooo. This got me thinking.

I was trying to avoid to place a heater in my tank but the air conditioner of the house is fluctuating the tank to 76 degrees in the morning.

I saw the video and am trying to decide between the Cobalt or the Finnex.

Any suggestions as have seen in this thread different results?

Thanks in advance...

Finnex is an awesome heater. It's just that this model sucks because it doesn't have a remote temp probe.

wcharon
04/07/2017, 08:28 AM
Finnex is an awesome heater. It's just that this model sucks because it doesn't have a remote temp probe.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you recommend other Finnex model?

Randy_BRS
04/07/2017, 10:55 AM

For me, the more accurate Finnex option (given the stated issues from several users) would be the HPS line. Although they are not titanium like we've grown to love about Finnex, they do include an external temp sensor to regulate their ON/OFF cycles. :)

-Randy

wcharon
04/07/2017, 11:04 AM
For me, the more accurate Finnex option (given the stated issues from several users) would be the HPS line. Although they are not titanium like we've grown to love about Finnex, they do include an external temp sensor to regulate their ON/OFF cycles. :)

-Randy

Thanks Randy. I will check that one.

Mstefa1
04/07/2017, 05:51 PM

Honestly if you are using a reef controller to control your heater, it doesn't really matter as you are only using the built in thermostat as a fail safe in the even the outlet got stuck on.

wcharon
04/08/2017, 08:43 AM
Honestly if you are using a reef controller to control your heater, it doesn't really matter as you are only using the built in thermostat as a fail safe in the even the outlet got stuck on.

Thanks. Yep I will be using it with the APEX. Trying to decide if I get 2 150w instead of 1 300w because I will only be using 1 outlet of the APEX (4 or 8).

robgonsailing
04/13/2017, 04:52 PM
I think I've narrowed down the problem to the heater itself. I had the heater plugged into an Apex outlet set to "ON" and had the thermostat on the heater set much higher than the water temp. This should have created the condition for the heater to be always on. Instead, you could see many power spikes (difference of 3 amps on the amp graph) where the heater was only running about 50% of the time, inconsistently, and it couldn't maintain temp. When I changed to a different heater (same wattage, same conditions) the power spikes went away and the temp rose to the set point. I see this same observation was posted on the BRS product review.

Randy - Is there anything BRS can do or do I need to try to warranty through Finnex?

Randy_BRS
04/13/2017, 05:07 PM
I think I've narrowed down the problem to the heater itself. I had the heater plugged into an Apex outlet set to "ON" and had the thermostat on the heater set much higher than the water temp. This should have created the condition for the heater to be always on. Instead, you could see many power spikes (difference of 3 amps on the amp graph) where the heater was only running about 50% of the time, inconsistently, and it couldn't maintain temp. When I changed to a different heater (same wattage, same conditions) the power spikes went away and the temp rose to the set point. I see this same observation was posted on the BRS product review.

Randy - Is there anything BRS can do or do I need to try to warranty through Finnex?

Hey there,

Very strange that we couldn't replicate these issues. I'm sorry you are experiencing the same as others have! We just revamped our return policy which includes the statement about manufacturer defects that I've posted below. :)

Basically, if it is defective within 30 days of your purchase date we've got your back! Outside of that, we do have to have you reach out to the manufacturer for warranty support.

Please shoot me a PM with your account and order information and I will get the ball rolling for you! :)

RISK FREE RETURNS! (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/returns)

Manufacturer Defects & Warranties

" It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, we’ll work with you to make it right.

If your product arrives non-functional due to manufacturer defects, it may be exchanged for the same product within 30 days at no cost to you!4
Purchased more than 30 days ago, but need warranty support? We’ll ensure your issue is handled fast and efficiently by acting as the first point of contact. We'll introduce you to the best contact at the manufacturer, and make sure the manufacturer knows of the issue you’re encountering!
If you prefer to contact the manufacturer directly, we’ve created a list of contacts that can be accessed by clicking the button below. "

Thanks!

-Randy