PDA

View Full Version : Crab Crisis Averted! A comedy or horror story.

jfabritz
10/02/2016, 03:23 PM
Well, maybe... :lmao:

Got my shipment of "The Package" from Rich for my Biocube 14 last Friday and have been watching intently all of the interesting things I've seen. Did see two large gorilla crabs that I've been trying to get out of the tank, but decided to use a no-holds barred approach.

One I caught lounging on a rock. Pulled it out of the water without it jumping off, got it into a bucket of salt water and knocked him off. The second one was more of a challenge. It was hiding in one of those fine rocks with all sorts of critter tunnels in it. Took a little persuading with some forceps and luck, but got it out.

So, I put them together in a plastic container with salt water and marvel over these hairy little critters when they start to fight with each other.

"Crab fight!" my wife exclaims, but what happened next was bordering on the obscene. One of the crabs flipped the other one over and was resting on top of it.

"Get a room" I said sarcastically as my wife already noted that they have one.

Eventually the one on the bottom flipped the one on top off and they went about their merry way. One of them however, turned around and looked up the wall at us. We noticed something strange about it, and gasped as we noticed the dorsal flap open and full of purple roe.

"Holy crap! It's preggers!" :eek1:

"Thank goodness that we caught them when we did - we'd have a crab explosion and one of the pesty kind!" :lol:

Now I need to find them a home. The kids want us to keep them, but I don't have another tank small enough to use. <sigh> We'll see what happens.

http://i68.*******.com/15i6ede.jpg

biecacka
10/03/2016, 04:35 PM
Keep em in your sump

Corey

jfabritz
10/03/2016, 08:21 PM
In the back of the Biocube?

If I had a larger aquarium with a separate sump, that would be ideal.

I may put them in a 10 gallon that I would use as a quarantine tank.

Finland
10/05/2016, 04:29 PM
I ended setting up a separate 40b just for the crabs. I have several red mithrax crabs and a few gorilla crabs in there. Very interesting to watch them, especially at feeding time!

jfabritz
10/05/2016, 08:07 PM
I need to learn my crab anatomy. The tail flap of the female is where the eggs are chillin', not the dorsal flap. :-P

I put the happy parents in my refugium for now and they seem to be doing okay.

jfabritz
10/07/2016, 09:32 PM
I got the crabs a little 2.5 gallon tank so they now have a little more space. I am checking with Rich to see about a small order of live sand and a piece of pukani to give them some hidey holes.

I did find a cool looking clam that surfaced from the live sand - is it a venus clam? Sorry for the crummy cell phone photo. ;)