PDA

View Full Version : Question about over hanging rocks

RogueGrown
10/02/2016, 04:14 PM
Are there any corals or mushrooms that would thrive well attached to an overhang? Would being upside down have any negative effects?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

thegrun
10/02/2016, 04:17 PM
It is the lack of light, not hanging upside down that is problematic. Some mushrooms require very little light and will survive with reflected light, but certainly not thrive.

pisanoal
10/02/2016, 04:25 PM
non-photosynthetics. But they require special care such as target feedings and the subsequent extra filtration that comes with that. There are some easy ones you could look into. I don't keep them so I would be the wrong person to give advice there.

RogueGrown
10/02/2016, 05:10 PM
I ask cause the tank I'm setting up is a 20 long, so it's going to be easy to get good light inside the overhangs I would imagine. I'm just trying to figure out my aqua scape for now as I'm still waiting for the equipment to arrive on Tuesday.

RogueGrown
10/02/2016, 05:11 PM
Non-photosynthetics??? Just the sound of it sounds like it needs to be in a very dark place and would be difficult to house.

asting
10/02/2016, 07:57 PM
Non-photosynthetic just means that they don't produce energy from sunlight. It doesn't mean they need to be kept in the dark. One of the most common is called, ironically, sun coral.

RogueGrown
10/02/2016, 09:41 PM
Non-photosynthetic just means that they don't produce energy from sunlight. It doesn't mean they need to be kept in the dark. One of the most common is called, ironically, sun coral.
That sun coral looks pretty amazing actually. I'm just playing with my aqua scape with waiting for the mail man....

I'd like to find something that would so well
In/on the over hang in the this placement.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161003/613be531dfa23ccc98fc6118f3815517.jpg

Ron Reefman
10/03/2016, 04:24 AM
See the shadows under those overhangs? You are going to find it nearly impossible to maintain corals in those shadows. Maybe a very low light mushroom. NPS corals or sponges can survive there, but they require very different feeding requirements and that makes them very difficult to keep.

scooter31707
10/03/2016, 09:49 AM
I might be wrong, but I think the Chili Coral is recommended to be hung upside down.

RogueGrown
10/03/2016, 11:20 AM
See the shadows under those overhangs? You are going to find it nearly impossible to maintain corals in those shadows. Maybe a very low light mushroom. NPS corals or sponges can survive there, but they require very different feeding requirements and that makes them very difficult to keep.

Ill take your word for it, The spot Im really thinking about is the one in the top middle. This being a 20 long isnt a very deep tank and also the light I have there is just a cheap marineland light. Im still shopping around for what light to buy... any suggestions for this size display would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of feeding do some of these corals take? would you have to spot feed with a baster or something along those lines?

RogueGrown
10/03/2016, 11:25 AM
I might be wrong, but I think the Chili Coral is recommended to be hung upside down.

When image searching this coral it does appear to be upside down in a few pictures

Thanks

jah hoeva
10/03/2016, 11:47 AM
Some lighting, like T5, is known to reflect off the substrate and could provide a small bit of lighting if something had to be positioned there.

RogueGrown
10/03/2016, 12:51 PM
Ive toyed with the idea of using T5s vs LED, I like the idea behind LED being all in one and not having to replace the bulbs or fixture but every couple years. It just doesnt seem as though they are efficient enough yet unless you spend more on the light than everything else combined.

Ron Reefman
10/04/2016, 04:15 AM
t5 will get under the ledge better than leds which are quite focused and directional. But on a tank your size and with the rock as high in the tank as it is, you can probably do OK with the low wattage led. I usually rip Current and Marineland for selling these as reef ready, but in your situation it's probably as good as any other led fixture.

Feeding NPS corals is not a simple thing. There is an entire forum here just for NPS corals. I have great success regular corals, so I've tried NPS corals a few times. I've given up now. Most who keep them very successfully have them in their own tank because feeding is so different.

RogueGrown
10/04/2016, 07:44 AM
t5 will get under the ledge better than leds which are quite focused and directional. But on a tank your size and with the rock as high in the tank as it is, you can probably do OK with the low wattage led. I usually rip Current and Marineland for selling these as reef ready, but in your situation it's probably as good as any other led fixture.

Feeding NPS corals is not a simple thing. There is an entire forum here just for NPS corals. I have great success regular corals, so I've tried NPS corals a few times. I've given up now. Most who keep them very successfully have them in their own tank because feeding is so different.
Thank you for the input, I'm looking into buying a light that is going to be over rated for my tank and just turn it down a bit, my reason is so when I move up in size I'm not having to buy lighting twice. I figure buy something of quality once, instead of a couple mediocre lights that I'll poke my bottom lip out at.

As for nps corals.... I'm not about to ruin the joy of this hobby with that quite yet.