PDA

View Full Version : DIY Algae Scrubbers

thompson2224
10/03/2016, 03:26 AM
What are the best alternatives to the waterfall algae scrubbers?

Fuel Doodle
10/03/2016, 10:09 AM
What are the best alternatives to the waterfall algae scrubbers?

For algae scrubber, there is also horizontal. This is far less efficient. Read Turbo's threads and you will learn why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
10/18/2016, 12:26 PM
Easy enough to make a vertical unit .....

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r680/ca1ore/IMG_0157_zps48c8e6ed.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/ca1ore/media/IMG_0157_zps48c8e6ed.jpg.html)

Been running flawlessly for almost 3 years now.

75mixedreef
10/18/2016, 01:00 PM
Personally I like the 45 degree angle. I have the screen on a piece of acrylic supported by a notched piece of pvc and the top edge is resting on the corner of the sump. I then have my overflow come directly onto the screen using a 45 degree elbow. For my upcoming build I'm debating between using pvc to build an entire stand vs acrylic so I do not have to have it sitting on the edge of the sump.

2smokes
10/18/2016, 05:33 PM
Somme alternatives would be the Upflow algae scrubber and the floating algae scrubber invented by Santamonica.

Crusinjimbo
10/19/2016, 04:53 AM
I've ad several types of ATS, waterfall, upflow, etc, they all worked reasonably well. The design you select should consider maintenance of the ATS as well as efficiency. My waterfall produced lots of algae but was pain to remove, clean and replace the screen every 10 days. I currently run an overcrowded nano reef with a horizontal ATS that allows top access to remove and clean the screen without stopping the feed pump or disconnecting the plumbing. Lift lights off, pull screen, clean screen, replace screen, and replace lights, total time maybe a minute or two. Not as efficient but better suited to this application and good enough to keep NO3 and PO4 at 0 on an overfed/overcrowded tank with no other mechanical or other filter filtration. Get a grip on the ATS concept and adapt it to you setup.