PDA

View Full Version : What is this? And why my mantis doesn't are him?

Eduardomemun
10/03/2016, 07:53 PM
O found many of this cabs. Also I have one or more mantis on my tank. Brown ones small. I want to get rid of them with traps but I want the mantis to kill the crabs first !
Why the mantis is not eating them?
Have no fish or corals yet. New tank :)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161004/f674d4b197eea52d36daa5f4339e2e09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windlasher
10/04/2016, 08:10 AM
Just wondering but for a NEW tank why so much detritus and pest anemones?

nmotz
10/04/2016, 01:14 PM
Hard to say why the mantis shrimp doesn't eat the crabs, but they might be very small and unwilling to risk injury by attacking a crab. Just give it some time and eventually the mantis will get hungry.

New tanks aren't great environments for growing coral, but pests normally flourish in any conditions. Not sure why you have so much detritus, but it could be any number of things: poor flow, not enough maintenance, poor mechanical filtration, etc

liverock
10/04/2016, 01:37 PM
That is a Florida stone crab......not a mantis made that will mess with him....

http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/crustaceans/stone-crabs/faq/

nmotz
10/04/2016, 01:46 PM
That is a Florida stone crab......not a mantis made that will mess with him....

http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/crustaceans/stone-crabs/faq/

A Peacock or G. Chiragra probably would, but if its a small gonodactylid then I think you're right.

liverock
10/04/2016, 02:24 PM
A Peacock or G. Chiragra probably would, but if its a small gonodactylid then I think you're right.

That would be an adventure LOL

Eduardomemun
10/05/2016, 08:23 AM
Hard to say why the mantis shrimp doesn't eat the crabs, but they might be very small and unwilling to risk injury by attacking a crab. Just give it some time and eventually the mantis will get hungry.

New tanks aren't great environments for growing coral, but pests normally flourish in any conditions. Not sure why you have so much detritus, but it could be any number of things: poor flow, not enough maintenance, poor mechanical filtration, etc

Yes too much detritus. Because I used uncured live rock and curing on tank. I had a bad sponge die event. That was really messy

Also I don't have enough circulation and just added more pumps

Eduardomemun
10/05/2016, 08:28 AM

Dont know what type is. I just found it and I putted a go pro cam to make a video and see more of it. I'll will post some part ;)

I will get an octopus and get rid of all of them!! Jajaja

Eduardomemun
10/05/2016, 08:28 AM
The funny thing is than I have small hermits and none of them missing. Not the stone crabs or the mantis has ate any of them. So maybe they're harmless ??

Bobbitworm13
11/04/2016, 06:01 AM
Stone crabs aren't harmless. Once larger, they can take a finger for a snack because of how strong the claws are. Just food for thought ��

EI Gringo
11/11/2016, 04:10 PM
Probably too small a mantis or just not hungry enough to risk a big dangerous crab

ilikefish34
11/25/2016, 07:08 PM
Each Mantis is a little different from the next... my Peacock was introduced to a tank that already housed one Yellow-tail Damsel and one Scarlet Hermit and they all lived peacefully for well over a year. Any other Damsel or hermit added after the Peacock was immediately attacked.