PDA

View Full Version : Moving a new tank purchase

white_queen
10/04/2016, 01:44 AM
So I've been out of the hobby a long time since my college days and finally have the house space to support a large tank and the opportunity to pick up a 110 gallon. It has quite a bit of live rock, a yellow tang, pair of clowns, cleaning crew, etc. I still have a MH light ballast from when I was keeping salt water a few years ago I will upgrade the lighting system right away.

What's the best way to move a tank of this size without causing too drastic a die off? I know we will have some die off just from disturbing everything but am hoping to minimize the cycle and stress on existing animals.

Im getting a great deal on a total set up and it's within easy driving distance to our new house. So glad to be back on board with this awesome hobby! :bounce3:

white_queen
10/04/2016, 01:45 AM
The clowns

gunther13mt
10/04/2016, 02:50 AM
so I didn't move a tank this big but I did break down my 55 gallon to move it to another room. I simpley put all the fish in a big plastic tote with a power head aimed at the surface to keep oxygen. and did the same with all of my live rock moved it into a tote and attached my second power head in it. I did not buy new sand like was suggested but did leave about 3 in of water in the bottom of the tank to keep it submerged. Once I moved my tank I refilled all the water brand new mixed salt water added all my live rock back and gave it 2 days to set, this is how long my mini cycle took before everything spiked and dropped to zero. I readded my fish acclimating them all to the tank using the drip method. no fish seemed stressed and all are still alive and thriving in fact my condy has growin considerably since the move. attached are before and after pics.

before

http://reefcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=11117&pictureid=76366

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11117&pictureid=76365

After day 1 of fish back in the tank

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11117&pictureid=76364

Takin yesterday 4 days after I added my yellow tang

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11117&pictureid=76363

SFish
10/04/2016, 05:18 AM
Welcome back and have fun

White-Queen
10/04/2016, 08:24 AM
Thanks! It will be nice not to have to do a super small nano tank because of dorm room regulations. Lol!

White-Queen
10/04/2016, 08:47 AM
Welcome back and have fun

Thanks I appreciate that!

So is th General recommendation to start anew with totally new sand? When I bought an established tank before I moved all the sand but it was only a 29 gallon. Should I remove the majority of the sand from the tank and start with new sand and just put some sand back in as bacteria starter?

I can't imagine how heavy it would be to try to save the sand in a 110g even removing the bulk of the water and all the rocks.

The dimensions are 52 inches wide, 22 deep. She she dimensions with the stand of 62 inches tall but I'm not sure that that translate to for the tank itself yet.

FullBoreReefer
10/04/2016, 10:14 AM
Yes I always recommend new sand no matter what.

SFish
10/04/2016, 10:56 AM
I've never done a tank transfer so I can't say. I'm sure new sand would be safer.

SFish
10/04/2016, 11:01 AM
Nice size tank looks like an algae issue going on.

White-Queen
10/04/2016, 12:38 PM
Nice size tank looks like an algae issue going on.

Yes I agree - algae and maybe even aptasia hard to tell from the pics. GREAT price though so worth it either way. I can clean.

The reason they are selling is not being able to maintain like they want so I am not expecting pristine. One mans too-much-hassle is another mans...er....yeah something like that.

I'll be able to clean a lot of that up during the move anyway and watch the levels a little more closely. We homeschool so it will be fairly easy to add to our daily routine.

CarrieB
10/04/2016, 07:07 PM
New sand or clean, clean, clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xREEFINaintEZx
10/05/2016, 07:44 AM
I moved a my 75 gallon rescue 10 miles. Got to the house with pick up truck, 15-5 gallon buckets with lids, tie straps, and I brand new trash can. Drained half of tank into buckets. Filled 5 buckets with rock,1 bucket with fish, 1 bucket with coral. Filled the rest of the water buckets and left sand in bottom of tank. Save some sand if you don't reuse it all. Save all the water you can and have some extra fresh saltwater made. And I just had an airline running on the fish bucket wile we were loading up. And maybe don't feed the tank a day befor.

Willyboz1
10/05/2016, 09:47 AM
Welcome back. They always come back as they say.

White-Queen
10/05/2016, 12:04 PM
I moved a my 75 gallon rescue 10 miles. Got to the house with pick up truck, 15-5 gallon buckets with lids, tie straps, and I brand new trash can. Drained half of tank into buckets. Filled 5 buckets with rock,1 bucket with fish, 1 bucket with coral. Filled the rest of the water buckets and left sand in bottom of tank. Save some sand if you don't reuse it all. Save all the water you can and have some extra fresh saltwater made. And I just had an airline running on the fish bucket wile we were loading up. And maybe don't feed the tank a day befor.

Thanks we need two more trash cans anyway so this is the perfect time to stock up. Smart idea and yes I plan to premix lots of water ahead of time.

Good tip on holding the feeds I will mention to the current owner. We have a date set...the 21st! Woot!

We have ice chests galore also so we will have plenty of containers for rocks, fish, etc. I found out they have a half bag of live sand to give with the tank so I will be able to use new sand and just seed it with a coffee can of the old sand. Between that and the plentiful live rocks we should be in fairly good shape. I have a protein skimmer I will add to the tank so that will help minimize the cycle time hopefully.

It's moving about 45 miles.

White-Queen
10/05/2016, 12:06 PM
Welcome back. They always come back as they say.

I have been counting down the days!

SFish
10/06/2016, 03:52 AM
Post some pics when u get it up and running

xREEFINaintEZx
10/06/2016, 06:50 AM
Hahaha I'm getting excited for you. That's a decent drive... I was just going to tell you to throw a battery airstone in your fish bucket.Instead You might want to get the ac power outlet converter for your car and run the air pump and a heater. If u do plan on using a heater fill up a 5 gallon bucket and test the temp over night to make sure it won't go over 78-79 degrees. Also be careful with the trashcans... Water will sway wile driving. I had a peaceful 10 mile hike I don't know what your 45 miles has in store for you.

White-Queen
10/06/2016, 03:13 PM
Hahaha I'm getting excited for you. That's a decent drive... I was just going to tell you to throw a battery airstone in your fish bucket.Instead You might want to get the ac power outlet converter for your car and run the air pump and a heater. If u do plan on using a heater fill up a 5 gallon bucket and test the temp over night to make sure it won't go over 78-79 degrees. Also be careful with the trashcans... Water will sway wile driving. I had a peaceful 10 mile hike I don't know what your 45 miles has in store for you.

Everything in Oklahoma is a drive. This is quite close actually and also the nearest salt-water supply store. ;-) LOL!!

We will be a minivan with all the seats down so I can strap stuff in and secure. I will be using an insulted15g thermos my husband uses for water in the hayfield (think what they dump on coaches at football games) so I can secure the lid on the fish themselves and an ice chest for the rocks and then as much water as I can save I think.

We have a converter already so that won't be an issue.

I'll be getting salt ahead of time even though I'm getting a bunch with the purchase so I can set stuff up ahead of time. I plan to use the trash can for my water changes so probably have that at the house pre-mixed.

Now to make a stocking list and start planning my future tank. SO much more possibilities than with my 55g. :-)

White-Queen
10/06/2016, 03:13 PM
Post some pics when u get it up and running

Absolutely! You'll be sick of me posting insanity.