PDA

View Full Version : Need help with cleaning magnet recommendation.

eder10986
10/04/2016, 12:22 PM
Not sure why I haven't found what I need....

In my office I have another tank. A 12g jbj acrylic nano which is rounded.

I bought a magnet and come to find out cannot use it on acrylic so I returned it.

My main tank is glass so I use a strong magnet with a blade with no issues.

What do y'all recommend for my nano?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter31707
10/04/2016, 12:30 PM
I have heard of some hobbyist using a old credit or bank card.

eder10986
10/04/2016, 01:30 PM
I have heard of some hobbyist using a old credit or bank card.

That's not a bad idea actually. Right now I began to use a filter sock, cut up and rub a piece on he acrylic. It does not scratch but does take some elbow grease. I just feel that there must be something better out there that wouldn't involve me getting. Wet?

reeftivo
10/04/2016, 02:52 PM
Tunze care magnet nano

eder10986
10/04/2016, 03:29 PM
Tunze care magnet nano

No experience with this but will it work with acrylic? And will it actually work?

Mishri
10/04/2016, 04:35 PM
mag-float makes an acrylic safe magnet cleaner. just search for acrylic magnet cleaner or mag-float acrylic. be careful not to get sand in it, you'll scratch it really good then.

you can also use a soft piece of cotton cloth. there are other products you can use as well, just make sure they say for acrylic.

reeftivo
10/04/2016, 05:33 PM
No experience with this but will it work with acrylic? And will it actually work?

sorry, i read "glass" in your original post and just now realized that is your main tank and not the one you're inquiring about. PASS on the care magnet then. It doesn't like acrylic.

the mag floats are a good option

sleepydoc
10/04/2016, 06:24 PM
No personal experience, but I've heard of people using magic erasers underneath a strong magnet. I did a test with a Tunze care magnet on a piece of scrap acrylic and the only way I could scratch the acrylic was by putting a ton of force (at least 20-30x greater than you normally would) concentrated on a corner. With normal use I didn't see any scratching.

eder10986
10/04/2016, 07:53 PM
No personal experience, but I've heard of people using magic erasers underneath a strong magnet. I did a test with a Tunze care magnet on a piece of scrap acrylic and the only way I could scratch the acrylic was by putting a ton of force (at least 20-30x greater than you normally would) concentrated on a corner. With normal use I didn't see any scratching.

Hmmm....maybe I will go this route...

LXXero
10/04/2016, 10:45 PM
i just got myself 2 tunze care magnets. a nano and a long. I don't regret it. These are probably my new preferred tool, despite some flaws.

I was really hating the mag floats at getting the algaes around the edges and around the sand line in particular, of course worried about trapping sand in it too.

The tunze's are good. My only complaint is the pieces all come apart a little too easily, and i wouldn't suggest trying to jump over corners the lazy way unless you wanna go pick it up off the bottom of the tank. I may lightly superglue some of it together just for the heck of it, not so much that i can't crack apart again though, haha. It's a minor flaw really. When it's on the tank, the piece's can't go anywhere cause the magnet holds it all together.

I was looking at the flipper also, ultimately i didn't like the design because such a wide area sits over the tank, despite the little things lifting it off, it's just not as ideal. The tunze is about ideal in terms of function, i just wish the form was a little better. however, my wife even commented my 60 cube was looking so clean compared to normal, lol, it's been covered with algae pretty bad. i can really get a lot more off safely with the tunze, so I don't regret this at all, it's my new goto. That, and scrapers on poles, for getting the back areas where i can't put my hand behind the tank.

they all come with plastic blades that are safe for acrylic. the nano only comes with those in fact. only the long/strong come with the optional metal blades, but they are setup with plastic out of the box. I have glass tanks but I'm still only using the plastic heads, since I'm paranoid about messing up the silicon, and the plastic honestly works fine. in either case, these are my new favorites.

eder10986
10/05/2016, 04:37 AM
i just got myself 2 tunze care magnets. a nano and a long. I don't regret it. These are probably my new preferred tool, despite some flaws.

I was really hating the mag floats at getting the algaes around the edges and around the sand line in particular, of course worried about trapping sand in it too.

The tunze's are good. My only complaint is the pieces all come apart a little too easily, and i wouldn't suggest trying to jump over corners the lazy way unless you wanna go pick it up off the bottom of the tank. I may lightly superglue some of it together just for the heck of it, not so much that i can't crack apart again though, haha. It's a minor flaw really. When it's on the tank, the piece's can't go anywhere cause the magnet holds it all together.

I was looking at the flipper also, ultimately i didn't like the design because such a wide area sits over the tank, despite the little things lifting it off, it's just not as ideal. The tunze is about ideal in terms of function, i just wish the form was a little better. however, my wife even commented my 60 cube was looking so clean compared to normal, lol, it's been covered with algae pretty bad. i can really get a lot more off safely with the tunze, so I don't regret this at all, it's my new goto. That, and scrapers on poles, for getting the back areas where i can't put my hand behind the tank.

they all come with plastic blades that are safe for acrylic. the nano only comes with those in fact. only the long/strong come with the optional metal blades, but they are setup with plastic out of the box. I have glass tanks but I'm still only using the plastic heads, since I'm paranoid about messing up the silicon, and the plastic honestly works fine. in either case, these are my new favorites.

Thank you. Will likely try the tunze nano unless someone has a better suggestion.

sleepydoc
10/05/2016, 07:05 AM
+1 to Lex's comments. I used to have a Mag Float (it was actually the acrylic version) in my glass tank and the kids still managed to scratch the glass with it. (I assume they got some sand caught under it, but either way the glass is scratched.)

After making sure that the blade isn't too hard/sharp, I think the most important thing is to make sure that you don't have anything caught underneath. You could be using a cashmere cloth and still scratch the tank if there's sand under it. Nothing I've seen makes that impossible, but the Tunze care magnet makes it significantly less likely.

You definitely have to use the right 'technique' moving around corners, and it would be really nice if it floated, but other than that I'm very happy with mine.

cwschoon
11/13/2016, 04:25 PM
I am setting up a 120 and am trying to decide between The Flipper or Tunze Care magnet. Any more feedback out there?
Thanks.

cwschoon
11/13/2016, 04:26 PM
I am setting up a 120 and am trying to decide between The Flipper or Tunze Care magnet. Any more feedback out there?
Thanks.