PDA

View Full Version : Question: How often do you buy new fish for your established tank?

Cancun
10/05/2016, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone! Just like the title says...I was curious how often do you all buy fish for your established tank? :fun2:

Lrfox
10/05/2016, 10:38 AM
Hi everyone! Just like the title says...I was curious how often do you all buy fish for your established tank? :fun2:

For me, the answer is "it depends." I have a small tank (I downsize from a 40 gallon to a 26 bowfront that's pristine), so overstocking and heavy bioloads are a major concern.

I had a small list of fish I wanted to start. Once the tank was "ready to go," I added a pair of clowns first. Then my tailspot blenny (my favorite), and finally my yellowtail damsel (he's aggressive so i wanted him to be the last addition). Obviously I have a CUC in there (before the fish). I also have some Zoas, a mushroom and a toadstool as well as a skunk cleaner. At this point I'd only add a new fish to replace one that didn't make it or that I decide to swap out (I love the Damsel, it's not in there by accident/inexperience).

When my tank was cycled and I added my clowns, I waited 2 weeks to add the blenny (I wanted the clowns comfortable but not totally territorial) and a month before adding the damsel. This tank has only been up and running for about 6 months, but I've done FOWLR in the past and I've usually waited a month between fish. In addition to disease, stress can kill fish (or make them more susceptible to disease), so I like my fish to have at least a month to get comfortable before throwing them off with a new addition. A month also allows for the tank to adjust properly (especially a smaller tank).

EDJFA
10/05/2016, 10:45 AM
I look constantly, but I rarely buy anything.

Once you've purchased some fish and they're well established in their new home, it gets a bit more difficult to find other fish that are compatible with them. It makes it more difficult if some of your fish are impulse buys.

I think a buying list of fish from the very start is the way to do it. That way you can figure out what needs to go in first, or at the same time, or even last so they don't become the bully of the tank.

I've decided that I need a second tank. This time a massive FOWLR - like 1000g's. There are so many cool fish that aren't compatible with a reef tank.

scooter31707
10/05/2016, 10:53 AM
I usually buy 2 at a time (buy online, so try to get free shipping). After TTM and observation period which is a minimum of 8 weeks and a extra week to clean the QT, I usually start looking at some. So around every 8 to 10 weeks is when I add 2-3 (depending on size) fish to the tank.

joshbrookkate
10/05/2016, 12:18 PM
Never. I have 7 fish in my 75g - a starkii damsel, a chromis, yellow tang, watchman goby, flame angel and a mated pair of clowns.
They all get along so I don't want to take a chance of upsetting the community balance.
I add anemones instead. 20 and counting....

Dmorty217
10/05/2016, 12:41 PM
As soon as whatever is currently in QT comes out and into the DT

A sea K
10/05/2016, 01:51 PM
I rarely if ever buy fish for an established system. I just finished my 30gal to 80gal upgrade so I'm shopping now for some new additions. I live in FL and we are currently under threat of Hurricane Mathew so I'll need to hold off on any on-line purchases until I know shipping wont be an issue.

MondoBongo
10/05/2016, 02:11 PM
as soon as the wife's not looking.

jmike0311
10/05/2016, 02:56 PM
as soon as the wife's not looking.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

snorvich
10/05/2016, 04:34 PM
Large tanks, no purchases in three years.

Andrew D
10/05/2016, 05:01 PM
wow, I'm impressed with the restraint some have. I have a 350 with lots of well established fish but instead of leaving well enough alone I bring something home every 2-3 months or so. Sometimes it is more anthias to supplement the dwindling brood, sometimes a nice singular fish like a wrasse, blenny or butterfly. WHen I do introduce a fish I try to introduce 2 or 3 at the same time which diffuses the aggression and improves the odds that the newbies will survive the first week. I was finally able to introduce (and so far sustain) a copperband which was on my list for a long time.

Cancun
10/05/2016, 11:07 PM
LOL! Yea I was curious what everyone was doing as far as adding fish...and I have learned the hard way about impulse purchases in the past....I have a nice balance myself and I think I am not going to be adding for a long while...I like a peaceful tank...my last additions was Flame Angel a week ago(I have no other angels in the tank)....and in August I bought a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse....and in September a nice Potters Wrasse. Both are doing well and eatting PE Mysis from day 1. I have plenty of pods...and I add Phyto every day as well. So I am hoping to keep my trend going and not add anything fish wise to the tank for a long while....now coral is another story! LOL!

Wow...20 nems...! What kind? I have a large RBT...it split twice but they all stayed together on the same rock....and a haddoni csrpet nem...all nems I have had over 2 years so far.

Snorvich...wow...3 years...that is some restraint... what fish do your currently have...and please share your your expertise om how you do it.

It makes sense to not upset the balance though....I started out 3 yrs ago with a 29 gallon....upgraded to my 80 a yr Later...so only been in the hobby for 3 years...I love it...but I learn something every day from you guys on this forum.

So please share any tips or tricks you all have learned along the way...thanks for responding.....8)

Cancun
10/05/2016, 11:13 PM
LOL! Yea I was curious what everyone was doing as far as adding fish...and I have learned the hard way about impulse purchases in the past....I have a nice balance myself and I think I am not going to be adding for a long while...I like a peaceful tank...my last additions was Flame Angel a week ago(I have no other angels in the tank)....and in August I bought a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse....and in September a nice Potters Wrasse. Both are doing well and eatting PE Mysis from day 1. I have plenty of pods...and I add Phyto every day as well. So I am hoping to keep my trend going and not add anything fish wise to the tank for a long while....now coral is another story! LOL!

Wow...20 nems...! What kind? I have a large RBT...it split twice but they all stayed together on the same rock....and a haddoni csrpet nem...all nems I have had over 2 years so far.

Snorvich...wow...3 years...that is some restraint... what fish do your currently have...and please share your your expertise om how you do it.

It makes sense to not upset the balance though....I started out 3 yrs ago with a 29 gallon....upgraded to my 80 a yr Later...so only been in the hobby for 3 years...I love it...but I learn something every day from you guys on this forum.

So please share any tips or tricks you all have learned along the way...thanks for responding..... :)

Cancun
10/05/2016, 11:14 PM
Ooops....sorry for the double post....

jmm
10/06/2016, 12:08 PM
A new tank is a lot of fun to fill.

As you get more fish in there you hesitate to upset the balance. And a balance it is, for sure.

You could wipe out the whole tank with a disease. You could upset the hierarchy with a new "king" or cause favorites to hide. An aggressive newcomer could damage some of the current residents.

It just gets more and more stressful to keep going.

So I get another tank and start over. It's a disease.

jd371
10/06/2016, 12:37 PM
A new tank is a lot of fun to fill.

As you get more fish in there you hesitate to upset the balance. And a balance it is, for sure.

You could wipe out the whole tank with a disease. You could upset the hierarchy with a new "king" or cause favorites to hide. An aggressive newcomer could damage some of the current residents.

It just gets more and more stressful to keep going.

So I get another tank and start over. It's a disease.

So true, I have a 75g for a little over a year now with 2 T/P Clowns, Midas Blenny, Firefish, Melanurus, and 3 weeks ago I added the last fish I will be adding to this tank a Flasher and Fairy Wrasse. Since then I don't see my Firefish at all now.

Dmorty217
10/06/2016, 02:58 PM
To clarify my previous post I setup my 625g in February so my tank isn't established in the sense I'm thinking the OP is asking. I have a list and when that list is complete I'm done buying fish. Stocklists and husbandry should be well thought out before making purchases. Go to a LFS and leaving with something because "it was cool" is a poor practice in this hobby.

ca1ore
10/06/2016, 09:13 PM
Once a tank is established and fully stocked, it's really just a mater of whether to replace fish as they die; and if healthy (and covered) that won't be all that often. Recently had my 3 yr old leopard wrasse go through my vortech. Will replace her at some point.

Sonyardo
10/07/2016, 06:45 AM
I added a fish about 4 months ago. That was the first one in a couple of years.

billdogg
10/07/2016, 07:25 AM
Like others, I look all the time, but because my tank is well established, I only buy a new fish if the is a spot to fill.

happyhourhero
10/07/2016, 08:36 AM
I cant resist the urge to go collect so I add more than I should. I basically have a group of local blennys in an indo-pacific reef with your normal pacific reef fish. I think I have 5 blennys in there. Maybe more..I dont really know. Tank is 65 gallon.

jacksonpt
10/07/2016, 09:43 AM
I agree with most of the others... if my tank is doing well and everyone is happy, then I do my damndest to not touch/change anything. I have a small tank and don't run a skimmer, so if/when things are in balance, then my doing anything is more apt to hurt than to help. Specifically, I probably buy a new fish once a year or so, new coral probably quarterly depending on what's thriving and what's not.

Misled
10/07/2016, 10:26 AM
Tank has been up for 9 years. The 4 fish in there have been together for that time. I have a breeding pair of pj cardinals and a breeding pair of clowns. Changing tanks soon. Will keep the cardinals. The clowns will be gone.

Kevin Guthrie
10/07/2016, 09:57 PM
I replace fish when they die; usually after 8 to 10 years. The newbies put up with some severe beatings but they survive.

CStrickland
10/07/2016, 10:16 PM
I guess one way I'll know my tanks established is when the fish stop needing replacing ;)

Becks
10/08/2016, 02:22 AM
I've only have 2 small clowns which are about an inch long, bicolour Blenny, coral beauty and an ornate wrasse in my 150g. I recently lost a longnose butterfly to a swim bladder problem. I'm undecided on what to add next and certainly won't rush but I'm thinking about buying two copperbands. Then after that maybe a longnose hawkfish then eventually a dragonette and that will be the last fish

Cancun
10/08/2016, 09:38 PM
Wow....I am glad I started this discussion! I learn so much from all of you....and not upsetting the balance...and buying fish on a whim at your LFS.....I have been guilty of that in the past for sure.....I am done adding fish for sure...hopefully for a long while! I just want my tank to thrive with my current fish I have in it now. And my goal os to stay out of the LFS...LOL!

Cancun
10/08/2016, 09:40 PM
So true, I have a 75g for a little over a year now with 2 T/P Clowns, Midas Blenny, Firefish, Melanurus, and 3 weeks ago I added the last fish I will be adding to this tank a Flasher and Fairy Wrasse. Since then I don't see my Firefish at all now.

I totally agree....I have learned my lesson with that!

Cancun
10/08/2016, 09:45 PM
To clarify my previous post I setup my 625g in February so my tank isn't established in the sense I'm thinking the OP is asking. I have a list and when that list is complete I'm done buying fish. Stocklists and husbandry should be well thought out before making purchases. Go to a LFS and leaving with something because "it was cool" is a poor practice in this hobby.

You totally answered my question....that is why I started this post......I want to learn from as many people as possible how they keep their tanks and maintain them...keep their fish for years....and rarely have to run out and purchase fish... my current tank has been set up for over two years....and I am too the point that my stock list is complete. ..and want to sit back...relax...and enjoy my tank.....

Cancun
10/08/2016, 09:50 PM
Anymore tips and tricks...or pointers? In this hobby you never stop learning and soaking up great info! Also I would love to see pics of your tanks! Thank you everyone for responding to my post! ;)

ca1ore
10/10/2016, 09:55 AM
Never let wife, significant other or kids pick your fish for you. It never ends well; or almost never. My only current fish that my kids picked out is a dusky wrasse. It's been a useful fish, but has ended up about 8" long. If I had taken the time to research (as I always do with the fish that I pick) I'd have known that. Of course, three years in to this current tank, they've largely lost interest, so the issue's gone away.