PDA

View Full Version : Shell Rot Question

MantisLvr
10/05/2016, 08:54 PM
Just had my peacock mantis die today very upset. He did have a small case of shell rot. My question is why is it not recommended to put another in the same tank? If that is the only tank you have for one is there anything you can do to be able to use that tank again? Thanks.

nmotz
10/06/2016, 07:47 AM
Sorry for your loss man, that's a huge bummer. How long did you have him?

I think the idea is that shell rot, while poorly understood, is a bacteria of some sort that (similar to ich) might remain and eventually infect a new mantis.

I probably wouldn't get a new tank though. The reason is because my Peacock has had minor shell rot too, shed it during a molt and it hasn't returned because I maintain decent water quality. I would do a few large water changes and maybe run a UV filter for a week or two if you have one.

Shell rot thrives in poor water quality/high lighting situations, but water quality is the most important factor.

MantisLvr
10/06/2016, 08:47 AM
Had him only 6 months. He was only 3 inches so not old. Fed him clam meat in a half shell by Hikari. Also would give him live occasionally. The shell rot spots had turned black instead of there normal red ring around a open hole. I think he was way over due for a molt. I only turned on a 29w 325 lumens GE bulb when wanting to view him. It looks like a blue bulb but burns crisp white instead of yellow hues. I would due a 5 gallon water change every 3 weeks on his 20 gallon tank. Yes I know they need a 29 which I planned on for when he got bigger. I can do some water changes but don't have a UV. I don't know what went wrong but I will be looking for another. Thanks.

nmotz
10/06/2016, 12:18 PM
Had him only 6 months. He was only 3 inches so not old. Fed him clam meat in a half shell by Hikari. Also would give him live occasionally. The shell rot spots had turned black instead of there normal red ring around a open hole. I think he was way over due for a molt. I only turned on a 29w 325 lumens GE bulb when wanting to view him. It looks like a blue bulb but burns crisp white instead of yellow hues. I would due a 5 gallon water change every 3 weeks on his 20 gallon tank. Yes I know they need a 29 which I planned on for when he got bigger. I can do some water changes but don't have a UV. I don't know what went wrong but I will be looking for another. Thanks.

Sounds like a bad case of shell rot, dang, sorry man. UV sterilizers are good to have in case of an emergency. I usually don't run one but if the animal has shell rot then I'll pop it on the tank and let it run until the mantis molts.

Some thoughts about water changes: if done too often they can upset your tank's chemistry. I know they are useful for all kinds of things and they absolutely are necessary for restoring trace elements, but a 25% change of water chemistry every week might be too much upheaval for a Peacock. Sometimes I think that WCs are pushed too hard in this hobby because corals/inverts do want stability and excess WCs prevent that.

If you're concerned about excess nutrients, it might be helpful to employ other methods like heavier skimming, GFO/GAC, macroalgae, etc. Peacocks are more sensitive to other mantis shrimp in all kinds of ways. Mine got shell rot when my nitrates got too high and my alk was swinging all over the place.

I do wish you the best of luck man, sometimes this stuff happens.

MantisLvr
10/06/2016, 07:39 PM
Thanks.