PDA

View Full Version : Pukani question

Scottedontknow
10/06/2016, 07:39 AM
I just bought a few pounds of pukani to fill in a small spot in my tank. I already have about 30 pounds in my nano tank along with 20 pounds of sand plus a few more pounds of rubble rock and sand in my sump, it's been up and running for 8 months now. It is totally a no no to add 1-1.5 pounds of dry pukani to the tank without curing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juniorrocketdad
10/06/2016, 08:20 AM
It should be fine, dry rock like this doesn't need to be cured IMO since everything is already completely dead, rock needs to be cute while stuff is dying

Scottedontknow
10/06/2016, 09:01 AM
That's kinda what I was thinking. I scrubbed it in rodi water really well first. So I guess I'll see what happens!

juniorrocketdad
10/06/2016, 09:06 AM
Ya i would just rinse them to get the dust off and remove any visible sponges

rtparty
10/06/2016, 09:29 AM
Let me ask this, is it worth risking everything in your tank because you didn't spend a month curing the rock?

Pukani rock is known to be full of dead, decaying material. If your tank can't handle the nutrients, you could wipe your tank out.

RT_BRS
10/06/2016, 09:56 AM
I just bought a few pounds of pukani to fill in a small spot in my tank. I already have about 30 pounds in my nano tank along with 20 pounds of sand plus a few more pounds of rubble rock and sand in my sump, it's been up and running for 8 months now. It is totally a no no to add 1-1.5 pounds of dry pukani to the tank without curing it?

I'm with rtparty on this one. If this was Reef Saver I likely wouldn't have any reservations, but Pukani can have quite a bit of dead organic material on it's surface and in all the nooks and crannies. This material will break down in the tank if you don't cycle it, producing nitrates and phosphates that can fuel algae growth.

Cycling the rock for a few weeks in a separate container will be the best bet in my opinion. That will let all the material break down outside of the tank, and making adding the rock to the tank a breeze (granted it will take a little longer :) )

Scottedontknow
10/06/2016, 11:29 AM
lol I'll get a 5 gallon bucket ready!!! I'd rather be safe than sorry I have too much work/time into my nano tank lol

bif24701
10/06/2016, 03:59 PM
I added 50 pounds of Pulkani to my 180 no troubles. Though I have effective export systems in places

RT_BRS
10/06/2016, 04:34 PM
lol I'll get a 5 gallon bucket ready!!! I'd rather be safe than sorry I have too much work/time into my nano tank lol

That's definitely the safe bet imo :D

I added 50 pounds of Pulkani to my 180 no troubles. Though I have effective export systems in places

Nice! It can be done, but more often than not it ends up difficult to control those excess nutrients :)

HippieSmell
10/06/2016, 05:33 PM
I can attest that Pukani definitely needs curing. There is a ton of dead stuff on it.

valeriebrs
10/07/2016, 04:51 PM
I can attest that Pukani definitely needs curing. There is a ton of dead stuff on it.

:beer:

Scottedontknow
10/07/2016, 09:49 PM
Pukani is happily curing for the next month or two! Thank you all!!!.

RT_BRS
10/10/2016, 05:09 PM
Pukani is happily curing for the next month or two! Thank you all!!!.

Nice!

swiftvision
11/01/2016, 04:20 PM
For a new tank setup, any reason NOT to let cure inside the tank? I would figure that die off would help jump start the cycling.

RT_BRS
11/01/2016, 06:17 PM
For a new tank setup, any reason NOT to let cure inside the tank? I would figure that die off would help jump start the cycling.

As long as there isn't any critters in the tank, and it is brand new you should be just fine. Just be sure to do a large water change at the end to get as much of the broken waste out of the tank as possible. :)

Maritimer
11/01/2016, 08:27 PM
That's exactly how I started mine - ammonia turned my test tube almost _black_ for a week or two ... then suddenly fell off a cliff. Nitrite followed a week or so later, and we're off to the races . . .

~Bruce

RT_BRS
11/02/2016, 04:50 PM
That's exactly how I started mine - ammonia turned my test tube almost _black_ for a week or two ... then suddenly fell off a cliff. Nitrite followed a week or so later, and we're off to the races . . .

~Bruce

Nice!