PDA

View Full Version : Sca 302 bubble plate

tassy
10/07/2016, 05:07 PM
I own a SCA 302 skimmer and for the life of me cannot get it to skim correctly. To wet (clear). Different depths, different settings. I even turned around the bubble plate. Can anyone with a 302 skimmer that is skimming correctly please tell me what orientation they have their bubble plate at. Are the holes over the pump outlet or is the solid part over the outlet.

Thanks

John

TauntingBeef
10/07/2016, 07:08 PM
I have the 301 but after looking at there book I see its a diff build

jemw
10/08/2016, 06:21 AM
The solid surface of the bubble plate should be directly above the output of the skimmer pump.

jemw
10/08/2016, 06:44 AM
I found this in an article that was helpful. I had to purchase a valve for the air feed - bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025676Y/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Place the skimmer right next to your overflow drain pipe. (My skimmer chamber has a bubble draft between the overflow and the chamber which is as close to the drain as I could get.)

Put it in an average depth of water. If the manufacturer recommends 7"-9", put it in 8" (NOTE: Steve at SCA Aquariums recommends 7" for the SCA302 - I found that the top of the bubble plate should just be below the water. I also had to build an eggcrate platform for the skimmer to sit on to get the proper height).

Open the gate and the airline intake all of the way at first.

With the collection cup off, close the gate to bring the bubbles right to the top where the collection cup attaches.

Now start to close the airline intake until the bubbles coming up are really small.

This will raise the bubbles, so adjust the gate accordingly until the bubbles get back to where they are breaking right before where the collection cup attaches.

Put the collection cup in place, and make small adjustments every 2-3 days until desired skimmate consistency is achieved.

Hope this helps

tassy
10/08/2016, 11:35 AM
Okay awesome info I will turn the bubble plate around and take out my little stand was running in 6 inches of water. The sump design puts it at 7 inches will have to run with that. Should be easy enough to find a little air valve and we'll try your method.

Thanks for all the input.

John

tassy
10/08/2016, 01:43 PM
One other question so does that mean leave the air valve alone and adjust only the gate valve once the original settings are done?

jemw
10/09/2016, 07:49 AM
One other question so does that mean leave the air valve alone and adjust only the gate valve once the original settings are done?

You should be able to only adjust the gate valve once stabilized, but you might keep an eye out for bubble size.