PDA

View Full Version : Deep sand vs shallow

Betaktical
10/07/2016, 06:54 PM
So I just bought a house and will be moving in about 2 months. Thanks to the other threads on here about moving im all set. I'm going to get new sand and was contemplating a deep sand bed. My tank is plenty tall so the height will not be a problem. Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with both and what were the results with nitrate levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CStrickland
10/07/2016, 07:18 PM
I don't have a deep sand bed, and I don't have a nitrate problem, so id say that for filtration purposes they are unnecessary. I feed a lot. I think they were more useful for that back in the day when skimmers and powerheads weren't as effective. There are def tanks that have dsb that are very healthy and stable, but I wouldn't use one unless I really wanted a jawfish or if I were really into having lots of worms and stuff. To me it seems like by adding this whole layer of life it's just more things that can go wrong. That extra diversity isn't worth the risk of pockets of sulfide gas, and nutrient accumulation.

This is a topic that has pretty strong opinions on both 'sides' if you haven't seen this thread it covers most of the bases and will give you food for thought http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2268433

Capsle
10/07/2016, 07:40 PM
I have a DSB 6" give or take in different areas. My tank is new (3.5 months old) and is 24" deep so It really doesn't even show.

As for Nitrates i'm trying to get them down, they are at 10-25, I might over feed (still trying to figure it out) and I do small water changes, only 10% every 2 weeks.

I enjoy my DSB, I have nassarius snails that pop up during feeding which are cool. Also if I every wanted to get a jawfish or sand sifting goby I can. I would rather have the option open and not have the option at all.

Just my opion, as you will have many when it comes to DSB and SSB.

Preble
10/07/2016, 07:45 PM
Shallow is better, in thr display tank. Save the DSB for the sump

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Betaktical
10/08/2016, 06:06 AM
Well I don't have a sump so outta luck there. I don't stir my sand bed now and it's 4" deep so I'll prly try the dsb and if I don't like it I can always take some out

Capsle
10/08/2016, 06:24 AM
Here is a good article

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/rs/feature/index.php

vashawn
10/08/2016, 06:32 AM
300 gal w/5" DSB. I have no issue w/nitrate just a little w/phosphate but now its under control.
Tank has been running little over a year. The sand was re use from my old build.
When i did the sand transfer i got a sand shifter to shift out the large particles.

I clean the top of the SB at least once a week with a long thin pvc pipe. I dont do down more than 1/4 off the top surface of the sand.

anthonys51
10/08/2016, 11:52 AM
i had a tank with a dsb in my tank and phosphates were an issue. I took the sand out and now the problem is solved, dont even run gfo now. just aim a powerhead at the bottom of the tank. not saying a dsb doesnt work, just didnt work for me. dont feel like cleaning the sand bed and all the other stuff needed to keep it clean. so to me its really up to you, if your the type to vacuum the sand bed and not over feed then dsb can work for you, if not i wouldnt try it. i try to use the KISS when setting up my tanks.

A sea K
10/09/2016, 05:45 AM
I like a shallow san bed myself even if only from an aesthetic standpoint, that and there are a few wrasses I particularly like that require a sand bed for keeping.

AboutAcans
10/09/2016, 01:00 PM
I like a shallow san bed myself even if only from an aesthetic standpoint, that and there are a few wrasses I particularly like that require a sand bed for keeping.

What this dude said. It's a Catch 22. DSBs can develop sulfur pockets over time. You'll notice the lower levels are turning gray/white from lack of water movement. SSBs won't house as much nitrification bacteria in them. Could get sand sifters for a DSB, but even those will only bury themselves in the first inch of sand (look how Nassarius snails still have their siphon poppin out lol). Really it's a middle ground that ends up having the most success IMO.

inurmind
10/09/2016, 01:47 PM
Kind of personal preference, I have a DSB on my main but not on my other systems. As mentioned there are benefits to both but in my opinion if it's gonna be a larger system with lots of rockwork then I'd go DSB, if it's a smaller tank then just cover the bottom with an inch or so (if any sand at all, bare makes it really east to clean)

Betaktical
10/09/2016, 07:27 PM
It's a 55 gallon tank but it's about 28" deep. Sometimes it does kinda suck to clean so this was just an idea bouncing in my head.

AboutAcans
10/09/2016, 07:47 PM
It's a 55 gallon tank but it's about 28" deep. Sometimes it does kinda suck to clean so this was just an idea bouncing in my head.

I thought you were saying your sand bed is 28 inches deep for a second lol

Betaktical
10/09/2016, 07:48 PM
I thought you were saying your sand bed is 28 inches deep for a second lol

Lol anerobic bacteria for days!!!