PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade time!! What size. Holy

Reel North
10/08/2016, 06:15 AM
It's time for an upgrade. Where I had my system took up a ton of room in the basement, which eliminated a lot of my kids "play area". Personally, I think they took over the rest of the house, so I should be entitled to some of the basement.

I have a 220 g (72 x 30w x 24 tall) right now, but a friend has been all over me to sell it to him, so I will for the price he offered me.

We have a nice area where I can get an actual fish room behind an in wall reef. There's a structural beam there, so with a shorter stand, I can get the lights above it, and use the under tank area for storage while having a Refugium And large sump outside the stand and have it accessible for once.

We aren't planning to move (my commute is an hour each way each day which is a bit inconvenient).

I want to continue with sps, which I've been successful in growing, but my wife and kids love the "moving stuff", so I will need to have some lps.

I have a wall that I can put up to an 8 ft tank, but in reality the largest size I can get down the basement stairs will be 7 ft. I have a 32" door at the top of the stairs, so 30 wide or 30 tall is my max size.

I have an external overflow now set up with a bean animal, which is awesome, but if I go wider, I can't get it in the door lol.

I was thinking of getting a ghost overflow or a reef savvy one.

Tank will be eurobraced.

Does anyone have experience with the "afterthought" external overflows? Tank dimensions will be either

72 x 36 w x 24 tall

72 x 36 x 30

84 x 30 x 24

84 x 30 x 30

84 x 36 x 30

It will likely be made by miracles here in Ontario. I can go pick it up so I'll save a mountain on shipping and support the local economy.

I figure I will need a pretty large external overflow, or some kind of internal (external preferred)

All input is required and appreciated!

dave.m
10/08/2016, 12:57 PM
I would go with the tallest tank you can fit. The longer the tank, the worse a short tank will look.

You could go with a ghost overflow or just wait until after installation to add an external overflow. Miracles should be able to help you with this.

You don't need to limit yourself to LPS to get movement. You could also try some photosynthetic gorgonians to get the same effect.

Dave.M

Reel North
10/08/2016, 01:54 PM
Ah. Never thought of gorgonians!

How do you do an external after?

dave.m
10/08/2016, 02:49 PM
You smuck it on from the outside with a bit o silicone.

djm

Reel North
10/08/2016, 02:55 PM
Lol. That's a real scientific method!

I emailed Derek at miracles. The reef savvy one would eliminate the tempered and notched back which should drop the price a lot

saf1
10/08/2016, 03:56 PM
I have a tank being built in Calgary but shipped to me here in Ca :) Went with an external overflow, weir, no teeth. I would have to check but it is 12" tall and 6" deep so I can use a BeanAnimal overflow. I just had it added has part of the overall design.

I went external. Internal would have taken a bit of the tank real estate and block lighting. Since it was being built anyway why not just factor it in and make it external. Seemed to make sense for me anyway.

sfsuphysics
10/08/2016, 04:26 PM
Yeah I think that tempered and notched back killed my price estimate otherwise it wasn't a horrible price for a 96x36x24 tank, however shipping from there to San Francisco (actually Oakland and then I'd have to pick it up myself) was nearly $1000. And I don't care how good they are, I don't need a tank that badly, that still would cost me a considerable amount of money just to get it from a shipping facility

Reel North
10/08/2016, 04:52 PM
I called another place here in Toronto on the recommendation of a member here.

I asked for a build on site price for 84 x 36 x 30 tall with no external and a ghost overflow.

Know how much? $5400 Canadian! I asked where the pricing would be more realistic dimension wise.

84 x 30 x 27 tall. That's 295 gallons. And that's just fine by me.

Price?

Starphire front, ghost overflow, eurobraced.

Including delivery and moving into my basement onto the stand?

$2200 Canadian. That's about $1500 US.

Shipping into the US shouldn't be $1000 in a crate. We ship lots to the US that's a whole lot bigger than a tank for $800-$1000.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order that 295 gallon. With my sump from my frag tank and a 100 gallon stock tank for a refugium I should be all set to get to 400 gallons. Total system volume.

This is gonna be one sweet build!

saf1
10/08/2016, 05:20 PM
I'll have to double check my shipping but for a 240'ish gallon tank from Calgary to Sacramento, Ca was about 300 US dollar. "I" think. Still waiting for the final bill though since it is still being made.

Reel North
10/08/2016, 05:37 PM
That makes more sense. The south bound freight from Canada gets huge discounts from the trucking companies. I sent a full truck of equipment from just the Canadian side of Buffalo, ny to Florida for $3500. Dedicated truck.

sfsuphysics
10/08/2016, 09:08 PM
Well I dont know other than he told me 4k (assume that was US dollars) but needed shipping city/zip code info and afterthen he sent back an email saying 5k shipped. It could have been the initial quote was wrong (missing stuff he didnt pick up) but my public education tells me that is a $1000 difference so I am going to call that as the price of shipping :)

Reel North
10/08/2016, 10:37 PM
Who's that? Concept aquarium in Calgary? That's Canadian money. It's how we roll here. Monopoly play money. Take the price and divide by 1.33. That's the American price.

dartier
10/09/2016, 04:29 AM
I called another place here in Toronto on the recommendation of a member here.

I asked for a build on site price for 84 x 36 x 30 tall with no external and a ghost overflow.

Know how much? $5400 Canadian! I asked where the pricing would be more realistic dimension wise.

84 x 30 x 27 tall. That's 295 gallons. And that's just fine by me.

Price?

Starphire front, ghost overflow, eurobraced.

Including delivery and moving into my basement onto the stand?

$2200 Canadian. That's about $1500 US.

Shipping into the US shouldn't be $1000 in a crate. We ship lots to the US that's a whole lot bigger than a tank for $800-$1000.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order that 295 gallon. With my sump from my frag tank and a 100 gallon stock tank for a refugium I should be all set to get to 400 gallons. Total system volume.

This is gonna be one sweet build!

Wow, that is a great price for a tank that size and including shipping and installation! The delivery and installation charge on my new tank is 3/4 of what you are paying (and yours includes the tank)!

Dennis

Reel North
10/09/2016, 10:05 AM
Yours is almost twice as big lol

Bobbitworm13
10/09/2016, 07:12 PM
You should do a shark

sfsuphysics
10/10/2016, 01:51 PM
Who's that? Concept aquarium in Calgary? That's Canadian money. It's how we roll here. Monopoly play money. Take the price and divide by 1.33. That's the American price.

Nah, it was Miracle's. And looking back through my emails it did say USD next to the price, so no favorable Canadian exchange rate, although the price of the tank with a tempered back and notches was a favorable rate compared to the new "Leemar" company.

But enough about me, I see you have a new thread, so forget this and lets get onto the new goodness! :D

saf1
10/10/2016, 02:33 PM

Lol. Funny you should mention that. That is the builder I'm working with for my upgrade. I was flying blind then one phone call the fella said, "oh, this is Canadian dollar it will actually be cheaper for you"! I'm like ok, let us make it a bit bigger then ;)

Reel North
10/10/2016, 03:49 PM
I'm going to talk to 3 builders for this new reef. It's either 84 x 30 x 24 or 72 x 36 x 24.

I was at a buddy's place today and he has a 72 x 36. To be honest that might be plenty big. But maybe I can squeeze 84" lol. Can't really do more than 24 tall though.

I think I need a taller sump as well. So many DECISIONS!

McPuff
10/12/2016, 09:36 AM
I'm going to talk to 3 builders for this new reef. It's either 84 x 30 x 24 or 72 x 36 x 24.

I was at a buddy's place today and he has a 72 x 36. To be honest that might be plenty big. But maybe I can squeeze 84" lol. Can't really do more than 24 tall though.

I think I need a taller sump as well. So many DECISIONS!

Having the 36" front-to-back is really nice. If you can do it on a 72" or 84" tank, I'd say keep the 36" dimension regardless.

this is me
10/12/2016, 10:11 AM
I'm setting up a 72"x48"x24" from Miracle myself. I always like the deep tank look.