PDA

View Full Version : Breeding mandrin

Paul Corso
10/08/2016, 08:35 AM
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on how to tell a male from female, I think they are the best looking fish to have and being peaceful, I am going to try breeding them, everyone said discus are hard to breed and in a year I had 3 breeding pairs, my background of 30 years in the US army train me nothing impossible unless you want to fail, so anyway looking for some good advice on my mandrin breeding program.

Thank you
Paul Corso

CrayolaViolence
10/08/2016, 01:55 PM
don't think breeding mandarins in captivity is possible. It's been tried. I could be wrong, but from what I understand, some very skilled fish people have not been able to accomplish it. Telling males from females is simple. Males have a long dorsal fin on their back, the females have a smaller stubbier one. This can best be seen when the male is excited. It will stand erect flashing his sail.

Male Mandarin

Female Mandarin

CrayolaViolence
10/08/2016, 01:56 PM
Another thing to keep in mind, mandarins need tanks with a very high copepod population. Many people cannot even keep them alive, let alone get them to breed.

j_mazzy
10/08/2016, 02:24 PM
yes they are being bred. 80 a piece 200 for a breeding pair: biota. algaebarn sells them

CrayolaViolence
10/08/2016, 04:33 PM
yes they are being bred. 80 a piece 200 for a breeding pair: biota. algaebarn sells them

Oh good. I'll have to look them up and see if they have info online.

Paul Corso
10/08/2016, 06:13 PM
Thank you mazzy,I will keep you updated with my goal on breeding them