PDA

View Full Version : Spiny Urchins

FlyingFishSKYw
10/08/2016, 08:42 PM
Hey Richard (or anyone else with these urchins),

I have 6 or 7 of these spiny urchins that have doubled in size over the past few weeks...

Will they hurt anything down the road to worry about, or should I just let them cruise around and do their thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finland
10/08/2016, 11:25 PM
I ended up with 10 in my tank. They really haven't harmed anything other than munching on coralline. Once in a while one is munching on my setosa, but I just knock him off. Good for algae control.

FlyingFishSKYw
10/08/2016, 11:26 PM
Xcellent!
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grayhead
10/09/2016, 06:25 AM
Mine are model citizens so far. It's kinda funny. When someone looks at the tank, they are usually the first thing people notice.

MarkW64
10/09/2016, 07:55 PM
Mine are model citizens so far. It's kinda funny. When someone looks at the tank, they are usually the first thing people notice.

My experience too! In fact my Mother-in-law was at our house five months ago when part 2 arrived -- she came back last week and what was she most interested in? The black urchins which are thriving/growing. Not the gorgonians, or the sponges, not the bright red Mithrax crabs, not the fish....

Grayhead
10/10/2016, 06:13 PM
I understand completely.
I have to confess this. Within my first week of this hobby, I was at a hole in the wall store looking at this guys livestock. I live in a rural area, so pickings can be slim. This guy was selling livestock in a garage. I was browsing thru and saw this anemone that was hugh. I told him I wanted one. It was a ma massive aiptasia. So I understand why they do it. .

jfabritz
10/10/2016, 09:06 PM
I understand completely.
I was browsing thru and saw this anemone that was hugh. I told him I wanted one. It was a ma massive aiptasia. So I understand why they do it. .

:eek2:

Oh man, that's brutal! Did you take it home with you?

Grayhead
10/11/2016, 05:53 AM
OMG no. It wasn't long after that that I discovered reef central. I spent the next year reading and studying. It was an Uber noob move no doubt. So I tend to give people a pass when they say and do things like that. And thankfully I don't have aiptasia for them to fawn over. Just a bunch of cool stuff from TBS for them to look at. My nephew enjoys looking in the rocks and holes to see the critters in hiding.