PDA

View Full Version : Manual or automatic feeding?

salajander
10/08/2016, 08:16 PM
Just curious how people (typically, daily) feed their tanks.

Do you do all dry foods in an automatic feeder? Mix of dry and wet/frozen by hand? Dry automatically and occasional hand feeding?

Ron Reefman
10/09/2016, 05:06 AM
I feed the tanks a nori clip first and while some fish eat, I mix up a batch of food in a big beer mug with some tank water. There is flake food, frozen food, liquid food, pellet food and some extra additives. I mix it all, turn off the pumps and use a turkey baster to suck up food from the glass and deliver it wherever I want it in the tank. I need to spot feed a few anemones who don't do photosynthesis very well. After 10 minutes I let the pumps run for 30 seconds to stir things back up and then do another 10 minutes without pumps.

My feeling is that there are a variety of fish, corals and other inverts, so feeding a variety of different foods is a good thing. And turning the pumps off lets a bit of the food to settle on the corals and sand where non swimmers can get some.

robs.mark
10/09/2016, 06:09 AM
I have 3 fish, I feed nls pellets twice a day, nori once or twice a week and wet food for treats now and again. The wife and I had chilli mussels last week, so after cleaning them I cracked one and threw it in that tank. I do have an auto feeder but I enjoy manually feeding, and it also allows me to monitor how well they're eating (I like to keep them well fed!).

d2mini
10/09/2016, 07:13 AM
My daily feeding is Nori on a clip and LRS frozen by hand.

Timfish
10/09/2016, 07:14 AM
I feed algae pellets with an autofeeder set to feed small amounts 8 times a day on most of my tanks. (I often use a piece of painters tape to partially cover the opening to control the amount of pellets.) I'll occasionally feed frozen. I haven't gotten any tangs or large angels to reach their expected life expectancies yet but I do have some dwarf angels that have met or exceeded their wild counterparts.

billdogg
10/09/2016, 07:50 AM
I feed once daily with Rod's Original and maybe some rotifers or cyclopese. Maybe 2-3 times /week I'll use NLS pellets (.5 and 1mm) instead. On the weekends I'll probably use pellets about noonish and then Rod's in the evening.

No autofeeder (or ATO) for me. Even on vacations I'll pre-measure the food and have someone come over daily - the teenager across the back fence really enjoys it. The tanks may be better cared for when she's in charge.....

SeaCucumberFan
10/09/2016, 07:51 AM
I feed everything by hand except when I'm gone THEN I use a feeder