PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead for reactors

billdogg
10/09/2016, 08:50 AM
I am thinking of doing some re-plumbing of my 120g DT. I currently have a eheim 1262 that serves as both the return pump and also feeds both a TLF 150 (GFO) and a BRS single reactor (carbon).

I think I would like to put the reactors on a pump by themselves. I'm looking at the sicce 1.0 and similar pumps.

I am also considering replacing the 4 x koralia 1500gph PH's in the DT with a Gyre (or two) to kick in-tank circulation up a notch. I have a center mounted overflow so I could put one on back on either side.

Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

slief
10/09/2016, 09:44 AM
I am thinking of doing some re-plumbing of my 120g DT. I currently have a eheim 1262 that serves as both the return pump and also feeds both a TLF 150 (GFO) and a BRS single reactor (carbon).

I think I would like to put the reactors on a pump by themselves. I'm looking at the sicce 1.0 and similar pumps.

I am also considering replacing the 4 x koralia 1500gph PH's in the DT with a Gyre (or two) to kick in-tank circulation up a notch. I have a center mounted overflow so I could put one on back on either side.

Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

For the reactors, I'd go with an Eheim. A compact 1000 is cheap but the nice thing is that you can adjust the flow on them with the turn of a knob. I've been running a pair of them on my Renew AWC for the last 3 years or so and they've ran pefectly despite not cleaning them once. They only have a 6' head but for reactor pressure, they should be fine.

As for those powerheads... I'm a Tunze fan.. I've got 3 (1x 6105 and 2x6205's) in my 480, 2 6095's in my display fuge and 1 6055 in my frag tank. They are bullet proof and produce a ton of flow with great control. I've gone over 3 years without cleaning the ones in my main display and they never skipped a beat despite looking like live rock from all the coraline that was built up on them. I beat the living hell out of my Tunze's but as you already know, they aren't cheap but they are built to last.

ca1ore
10/09/2016, 10:23 AM
I use sicce 1.0 and 1.5 for my reactors and have been very happy with them. Certainly a step up from the small pumps I'd used previously.

billdogg
10/09/2016, 12:45 PM
I use sicce 1.0 and 1.5 for my reactors and have been very happy with them. Certainly a step up from the small pumps I'd used previously.

One for each or can I make a mini-manifold?

biecacka
10/09/2016, 06:46 PM
Bill, try to find someused tunzes on a controller for the display tank, although I have heard good things on the grye. Like Scott said, "hard to beat a tunze pump."

Corey

ca1ore
10/09/2016, 10:24 PM
One for each or can I make a mini-manifold?

I do both. Trouble with a manifold is that reactors can clog at different rates such that's it's difficult to maintain a preset flow rate to each. If a reactor (or skimmer) is flow critical I typically use a dedicated pump; if not I use a manifold.

billdogg
10/10/2016, 04:06 AM
Clogging the s one of the problems I'm running in to. The little pumps are cheap enough the using one on each probably makes more sense anyway.

Fishbulb2
10/10/2016, 02:03 PM
I have a sicce 0.5 running through a UV sterilizer and then my TLF reactor. It is too much for the reactor so I have it dialed back a little. Fantastic little pump and totally silent. I agree, use a separate pump for the reactors and the return.