PDA

View Full Version : High Alk, Can't Get Down

JSM
10/10/2016, 02:36 PM
My Alk is around 14 and have not added anthing for it in a VERY long time. The lowest I can get it is 12 and that's with dumping more Cal than normal. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Janna

Johnseye
10/10/2016, 02:45 PM
Use a different salt and/or add vinegar slowly. Vinegar will take it down quickly so be careful.
What kind of salt are you using?

JSM
10/10/2016, 02:56 PM
Reef Crystals. I've read about using muratic acid but I don't have a clue as to what the dose would be for that or vinegar. I mix up a 100g at a time.

Johnseye
10/10/2016, 03:07 PM
Reef Crystals. I've read about using muratic acid but I don't have a clue as to what the dose would be for that or vinegar. I mix up a 100g at a time.

Try switching to regular Instant Ocean (orange). I would not use muratic acid. Regular white vinegar is much safer. Both are acids, which counters your alkalinity issue. Just dose a small amount 15 - 30ml, give it some time, then test.

JSM
10/10/2016, 03:18 PM
What about the PH? Will aerating it bring the PH back up?

Johnseye
10/10/2016, 03:26 PM
What about the PH? Will aerating it bring the PH back up?

Only if you're having co2 issues. If that's the case open some windows and it will go up pretty quickly, within a day. Do you have your top open or glass covered?

Once you get a lower alk salt like IO or Tropic Marin (not pro) or others in your DT you should get a better balance. I wouldn't worry about PH so much as long as you don't crash it. Take the alk down slow and you'll be ok.

Alternatively you could do a larger, like 30% water change with a lower alk salt. You might want to do that regardless.

JSM
10/10/2016, 06:54 PM
Thanks, I'll do that!

bertoni
10/10/2016, 07:38 PM
As I posted in the other thread, vinegar won't work for long. As bacteria consume the vinegar, the alkalinity is released back into the system. That process is very rapid in a tank with a bacteria population.

Lou Ekus
10/11/2016, 06:38 AM
@johnseye, @JSM:

Actually our Tropic Marin Pro-Reef has a lower alkalinity (around 7-8 dkH) where our Tropic Marin Classic salt mix is a little higher (around 9-10 dkH). So fir the lower alkalinity go with the Pro-Reef.

Johnseye
10/11/2016, 07:04 AM
@johnseye, @JSM:

Actually our Tropic Marin Pro-Reef has a lower alkalinity (around 7-8 dkH) where our Tropic Marin Classic salt mix is a little higher (around 9-10 dkH). So fir the lower alkalinity go with the Pro-Reef.
Thanks Lou. Good to know.