PDA

View Full Version : Quick disconnect for rd3 speedy

jwilliams860
10/10/2016, 09:42 PM
Any way to add a quick disconnect between the pump and controller? Does RE sell something that would work? Everytime I need to service the pump, I have alot of cord management to reverse engineer to remove the pump from my system?

slief
10/10/2016, 11:11 PM
Any way to add a quick disconnect between the pump and controller? Does RE sell something that would work? Everytime I need to service the pump, I have alot of cord management to reverse engineer to remove the pump from my system?

Unfortunately there isn't any kind of quick disconnect for this pump. For my skimmer pump, when I'm lazy I just bring a tupperwear container with some vinegar and another with water along with a scrub bush and clean it right next to the sump. I take it apart and soak the block and the parts in vinegar for about 10 minutes, then give a good scrub followed by a rinse. Then put it back together. The whole process takes less than 15 minutes.

The reason behind the lack of a removable pump connection on the smaller RD3's is due to the fact that people will inevitably hot plug the pump into the controller which can damage a very expensive pump. Unlike the typical DC pumps that operate at 24-36 volts, the RD3's run at a much higher voltage which improves their efficient. As such, this is done to protect the pump and controller and the accidental damage that will follow when somebody doesn't follow the instructions.